Maintenance of Status
Please read the following instructions very carefully and remember to follow them throughout your stay as an F-1/J-1 student at Princeton University:
• If you are a new student, you must report to the Davis International Center no later than 15 days after I-20/DS-2019 start date.
• You must attend the school you are authorized to attend.
• You must pursue a "full course of study" during every semester except during official school breaks.
• You must make normal progress towards completing the course of study, by completing studies before the expiration of the program completion date on your I-20/DS-2019 OR, if eligible, you must apply for I-20/DS-2019 before the expiration date on the current form.
• Your must maintain a residential U.S. address (where you live, not your department or Frist mail box) at all times. You are also required to report any change of residential address (excluding temporary summer addresses when you are not at Princeton) within 10 days of the change. To update your address, or to report a new address, please use the SCORE system online. The Davis International Center will report any change of address on your behalf, based upon the information extracted from SCORE. Please note that you are also required to maintain your permanent address in your country of citizenship or country of permanent residency. If you have any problems with SCORE, please call the Help Desk at (609) 258-4357.
• You must have a passport that is kept valid at all times.
• You must have a valid I-20 (if you are an F-1 student) or DS-2019 (if you are a J-1 student).
• You must follow SEVIS transfer procedures to attend another school and/or when transferring to Princeton from another school.
• You must follow University procedures and inform the Davis International Center if changing from one educational level to another (Bachelor's to Master's or Ph.D, Master's to Ph.D or Ph.D to Master's) OR from one program to another.
• You must limit employment, both on campus and off campus, to a total of 20 hours per week (includes Assistant in Instruction and Assistant in Research appointments for graduate students) while school is in session. You can work full time (more than 20 hours) during official University breaks.
• You must NEVER work off-campus before obtaining a proper work authorization.
• Carry appropriate health insurance coverage. All enrolled F-1 and J-1 students are automatically covered under Princeton University Student Health Plan. J-1 students must maintain required coverage for all J-2 dependents.
• You must abide by the F-1/J-1 grace period rules. If you are an F-1 student, you may remain in the U.S. up to 60 days after completion of your program or after completion of your Optional Practical Training (OPT). If you are a J-1 student, you may remain in the U.S. up to 30 days after completion of your program.