J-1 Exchange Visitors
- All new J-1 exchange visitors are required to check-in with the Davis International Center (Davis IC) within 15 days of the start date listed in Item 3 of the DS-2019 to have their SEVIS record validated. Failure to check in could result in a loss of your legal status in the U.S.
- All J-1 visitors are required to report (and keep accurate) a home address to the Davis IC within 10 days of obtaining a place to live so that we can report it in SEVIS. Your local/current address should always be kept current in your Human Resources Self Service profile.
- Have a passport that is kept valid at all times, unless exempt from the passport requirement (Canadian citizens).
- Have a valid DS-2019 form (obtain extensions of program before the expiration date on the current DS-2019).
- Conduct research or teach only as allowed by the J program reported in SEVIS. If you will be at an institution in addition to or other than Princeton, a new Site of Activity may need to be added to your SEVIS record. See occasional lectures or consultations if you will give talks or lectures at other schools. If you will transfer your J program to another institution, a transfer process must be completed in SEVIS.
- J-1 Exchange visitors are required to carry health insurance that meets minimum requirements.
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home
country in the amount of $10,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
J-2 dependents must also have insurance that meets these minimums.