For New Scholars
Welcome to Princeton University!
We are delighted that you have joined our community of almost 900 international
postdocs, professors, lecturers, researchers, and visiting scholars from 100 countries.
Check in with the Davis International Center
All international scholars holding J-1 visa's sponsored by the University are required to check in with the Davis International Center within 30 days of the start date on Form DS-2019.
Attend a Scholar Orientation Session (spouses & partners also welcome)
This brief session includes topics that will help you as you settle in to your life at Princeton such as transportation, health care, U.S. taxes, driver's licenses, spouses & families, American culture and customs. All sessions are held in the Davis International Center, 87 Prospect Avenue from 2:00-3:30
Attend only one session soon after your arrival:
October 4, 18
November 1, 15
Immigration Reminders for J-1 Scholars
- Report your current home/local address and any future address changes via the Human Resources Self Service Portal. Your department mailing address is not acceptable as a home/local address.
- Maintain the required minimum health insurance coverage for yourself and any dependents on J-2 visas.
- You must have the required J-1 travel documents to enter the U.S. after temporary travel abroad during your stay at Princeton.
- More about J-1 scholar regulations
Other Reminders for Scholars
- I-9 Form - If you will be paid by Princeton University, you must complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form at the Office of Human Resources, New South Building, 2nd floor.
- Social Security Card Instructions - If you will be paid by Princeton University, you must apply for a Social Security card AFTER you check in with the Davis International Center.
- Glacier Tax Profile - All scholars regardless of whether they earn income or not must complete a profile in the Glacier Tax System. You will receive an email from the Glacier System notifying you to log in to Glacier. Email your questions about the Glacier Tax System to firstname.lastname@example.org
International Spouses and Partners of Princeton University (ISPPU)
Spouses and Partners of Princeton International Students & Scholars can get involved and make friends through ISPPU. ISPPU develops supportive activities and programs in which you can meet others and build relationships. You will learn helpful information about living in the U.S, make friends, and have fun! Some activities include families and children. More information and to sign up for ISPPU.