HEALTH INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS - J-1 SCHOLARS
J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage in effect that covers them during the dates they participate as a J visa holder as indicated on the DS-20129 form. Failure to maintain the required minimum insurance coverage will be considered a violation of the J regulations and will be subject to termination from the J-1 exchange visitor program. If the scholar will arrive in the United States before the start date or depart after the end date on the DS-2019 form, they are encouraged (but not required) to arrange for other interim health insurance coverage during that time.
The medical insurance coverage must provide the following minimum benefits as per the J federal regulations [22 CFR 62.14]:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
An insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements as per the federal J regulations
[22 CFR 62.14]:
- Must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above; a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability rating of "A-" or above; a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above; a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of "A-" or above; a Moody's Investor Serivces rating of "A3" or above.
- Or the participant's policy may be backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.
Princeton University Health Insurance Plans:
J-1 exchange visitors are eligible for health insurance benefits that meet these minimum requirements based on their appointment at Princeton University. The J-1 Visa Health Insurance Plan and the AETNA HMO Health Insurance Plan offered by Princeton University both meet the required minimum requirements. Further information about these health insurance benefits is available on the Office of Human Resources website or by calling the Human Resources Benefits Office at 609-258-3302.