Richard Miles, Robert Porter Patterson Professor
Ph.D. Stanford University (1972)
Professor-in-Charge, Applied Physics Group
Member of the National Academy of Engineering
Research has focused on hypersonics and advanced laser diagnostics with particular attention to the interaction of lasers, microwaves and electron beams with fluids for energy transfer and flow control. The research program includes the development of new plasma and magnetohydrodynamic processes for hypersonic applications, new sources and detection technologies, and the application of these technologies through linear and nonlinear optical interactions to characterize gas mixtures, plasmas and flow phenomena.
Principal Research Efforts
- The Radiatively-Driven Hypersonic Wind Tunnel. A solution to the Mach 8 high-speed limit for classical air simulation test facilities
- Plasma aerodynamic control of reentry vehicles
- MHD and plasma enhanced hypersonic air breathing vehicles
- Imaging of velocity, temperature, density, and species by Rayleigh and Raman scattering and by flow tagging
- Development of new laser sources for spectroscopy and imaging
- High sensitivity detection for combustion, pollution and homeland defense.
Recent Publications in Refereed Journals and Review Articles