News at Princeton

Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014

Web Stories

Minor fire damages roof of Lewis Thomas Lab, Nov. 5

A malfunction in a generator caused a small fire in the roof of Lewis Thomas Laboratory Tuesday afternoon. The building was temporarily evacuated, and no one was injured.

Fire departments from the Princeton area responded shortly after 3 p.m. and quickly extinguished the fire, which was confined to small area of the roof. Firefighters cut through part of the roof to put out the fire and to confirm it had not spread.

The fire appeared to have been caused by an overheated exhaust pipe for a backup electrical generator that was being tested, said Garth Walters, the University's director of environmental health and safety.

The building was re-opened by about 5 p.m.

Contact: Lauren Robinson-Brown (609) 258-3601

Back To Top