Classes remembered at Butler court dedication
Posted October 5, 2009; 05:45 p.m.
Members of the University community gathered Saturday, Oct. 3, to dedicate Butler Memorial Court, an amphitheater that honors the spirit of the classes of 1922, 1940, 1941 and 1942.
Dormitories built in 1964 honoring these classes were replaced by five new Butler College dormitories in a two-year construction project completed this fall. The court is surrounded by three of the new dormitories in a U-shaped configuration.
Memorial Court's grassy slope is tiered with half-circles of stone seats and a grass path wide enough for seated audiences and easy wheelchair access. Feathery larches and ferns provide movement and color against the warm brick walls, where the swell of the "waves" in the buildings' façades are echoed in the crescent-shaped seats. To the south, Memorial Court extends under a bridge, ending in a steep slope planted with periwinkle and Lenten rose.
Members of the class of 1941 cut the ribbon to officially open the Class of 1941 Alcove in Butler College on Saturday, Oct. 3. Pictured are, from left: John Barker; F. Irving Walsh Jr.; Jean (Mrs. Frank) Gorman Jr.; Professor Sanjeev Kulkarni, master of Butler College; Robert Brightman; George (Bud) Schmucki, class president; President Shirley M. Tilghman; Robert Livesey; John Scott; Robert Wilson III; Lynn Tipson; and Virginia Wilson. (Photo: Andrea Kane)
In the adjoining Class of 1942 Lounge, alcoves for the classes of 1940, 1941 and 1942 display plaques and memorabilia that further reflect their history of loyalty and generosity. In the University Chapel, carved stones in the nave pay enduring tribute to the four classes.
The bridge above Memorial Court leads to Lourie-Love Walk, named in honor of Donold Lourie and George Love, leading members of the class of 1922. Lourie and Love were classmates and good friends who each made gifts to Princeton in honor of the other. Their close friendship and generosity resulted in Lourie-Love Hall, which became part of the original Butler College, and Lourie-Love Field, once a site of great Tiger victories. Those gifts live on in Lourie-Love Pavilion overlooking the new Roberts Stadium, and the bluestone paved Lourie-Love Walk that points south to the pavilion and north -- by extension -- to Nassau Hall, where the two served as University trustees.
"The class stones and the time capsules beneath them, the alcoves, Lourie-Love Walk and the chapel stone memorials are all intended to keep faith with and recognize these outstanding classes and individuals who have meant so much to Princeton through the years," said University Recording Secretary Kirk Unruh.