News at Princeton

Monday, April 24, 2017

For News Media: Overview


Princeton University's administration respects journalists, their rights and their interests in our vibrant community of scholarship and learning. Princeton is a private campus, and our media policies are designed to be responsive to journalists' requests while also minimizing disruption of University activities and respecting our students' rights to privacy. All members of the news media interested in attending events, capturing images on campus or arranging interviews must contact the media relations staff.

Resources for news media

Contact Us

For more information about these policies, or to request access to campus, contact the media relations staff.

Frequently asked questions

Where can I obtain statistics about Princeton admission and enrollment, costs and financial aid, academic life, and other general information?

We have numerous websites that contain information that could be of use to you:

How can I receive news releases issued by the University?

The central Office of Communications typically distributes news about major University initiatives, policies and events. Many of the University's active departments and academic units — including the policy school, engineering school and center for the arts — have communications divisions that work with our office but manage their own news release distribution. To receive releases from the Office of Communications, please fill out this brief form. To receive releases from other sources on campus, please contact the respective person listed here

When can I use the Princeton University name?

When using the Princeton University name other than for news, research or documentary purposes, entities not affiliated with the University — such as commercial firms, vendors, contractors, marketing professionals, institutions and service providers — must adhere to Princeton's guidelines when including references to the institution or its likeness in information intended for electronic or printed publication or dissemination. Questions should be sent to the assistant vice president for communications by emailing

Can I reproduce Princeton news stories?

We encourage media outlets, other organizations and college/university institutions to link to or copy full versions of Princeton news stories including credit as instructed below.

When a byline is embedded and copied with the story: "News provided courtesy of Princeton University Office of Communications."

When a byline is removed from the story: "News, written by [name from byline], is provided courtesy of Princeton University Office of Communications."

How can I identify a faculty expert to comment for an article?

For the sciences, humanities, social sciences and other general topics, the Office of Communications maintains a list of experts who are available to speak with members of the news media about breaking news, trends and topical issues related to their respective areas of expertise.

Princeton University has many other experts who may not be listed. If you need assistance identifying other experts, please contact a member of the media relations team or the appropriate campus contact

For issues of national and international policy, the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs maintains offers a Topic Experts Guide online. 

What is the procedure for interviewing students?

Students reserve the right to decide whether to be interviewed. Our policy is not to release student contact information to the press, but rather to forward to the students a reporter's contact information, leaving it to the students to decide whether they want to participate in the interview. Our office will inform students of University policies. For example, to preserve the privacy of all student residents, no members of the news media are permitted in dormitories and other areas where there is an expectation of privacy.

Do I have to register to cover a campus event?

Many but not all events on campus are open to the public. Events promoted as open to the public generally are open also to the news media. However, registration is often required for events for which seating is expected to be limited, as may be indicated in announcements. Also, some visiting guests outline preferences for media attendance in their speaking agreements sometimes based on concerns over proprietary material or intellectual property. More information about attending events is available under a full description of media policies.

How can I obtain photos of faculty and staff or general campus shots for news publication?

We have print-ready photos of campus scenes, buildings, teaching and research, faculty and staff available online. Please use the appropriate photo credit shown for each individual or location, or credit "Princeton University."

Do I need permisison to enter campus buildings or facilities?

All members of the news media need permission to enter campus facilities. More information about campus access is available here.

What are the policies for photography and filming on campus?

All news, commercial or documentary crews hoping to film on campus must contact the Office of Communications. Photo and film guidelines for TV crews filming for broadcast news and documentary use and for commercial film and video projects are available here

Why does the University charge for b-roll film footage of the campus?

For the convenience of crews producing films featuring the campus or members of the University community, we have "b-roll" of various Princeton campus scenes available in beta format for $75 cost recovery fee.

Where can I obtain background information and/or images for a former student, faculty or staff member no longer at the University?

Our team helps facilitate access to current or recent members of the campus community for reporters, but research into historical information about former members of the campus community is managed by the staff of the University archivist. Contact the staff at the Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library with these research requests by emailing You also may visit Mudd's website to learn what information and what types of research resources are available.