Breaking Down Large Projects Into Manageable Chunks
What is your project and when is it due?
- 15 page research paper
- due May 10th
What different things do you need to do to complete this project? Write down every single specific task you can think of.
- Free write to generate ideas/questions.
- Meet with your professor to discuss your topic.
- Meet with a reference librarian to find out about the relevant resources.
- Locate, read, and take notes on the relevant literature.
- Complete a rough draft of your paper.
- Make an appointment at the Writing Center.
- Discuss your draft with a friend, a writing tutor or the professor.
- Revise your draft, remembering that your thesis might have evolved during your writing process.
What is your plan for completing your project?
- Put the list of what you need to do in the order in which they should be completed.
- Assign deadline dates for each task, starting with the final deadline and working
- backwards. Remember to give yourself generous amounts of time for each task--things
- often take longer than you think.
- When you have time to work on your project, you’ll know exactly what you have to do,
- rather than wasting time figuring out where to start.