Advanced Academic Strategies Workshop Series
The McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning is offering a series of hands-on, active, and process-focused workshops in which students learn and apply strategies designed expressly for the highly demanding Princeton University context. Led by McGraw's Associate Director, Nic Voge, the emphasis is on advanced and innovative techniques for purposeful and efficient learning. Students apply the strategies to their own course materials whenever possible during the workshops and, ideally, make a one-to-one follow-up appointment in The McGraw Center which builds upon what they learned in the workshop.
The strategies introduced emerge from a common core of research-based learning principles and comprise an integrated strategic approach. While each workshop can stand alone, the series is designed to build on itself and thus reinforce the core principles, and yet is sequenced to be responsive to the current demands of the semester (e.g. midterms).
Making The Academic Transition To Princeton: Student Panel
Succeeding in your Discussion-Based Class: How to Prepare and Engage in Seminars and Precepts
- Managing reading assignments
- Maximizing participation during class or precepts
- Preparing to write papers.
Make the Most of your Textbook and Course Resources: Chemistry and Life Sciences
Mapping Your Semester for Balance and Success
Bring to the workshop the syllabi from each of your courses and leave with a useful toolkit for:
- Efficiently schedule your whole semester
- Manage time on a daily and weekly basis
- Getting more out of your study time
- Using to-do lists more effectively
This is an active, hands-on workshop in which you will apply strategies to YOUR own courses. Individualized follow-up appointments with staff in the McGraw Center in Frist can be arranged.
Make the Most of your Textbook and Course Resources: Physical Sciences and Mathematics
- Grasping the big picture
- Building more practical tools for problem sets
Efficient Learning Strategies: Managing Large Amounts of Information
Advanced Reading & Learning from Text Strategies
- an approach that helps you align your learning strategies to instructor objectives
- techniques for reading various kinds of academic texts
- strategies for enhancing retention and recall
- methods for reading faster and more efficiently
Understanding and Overcoming Procrastination
- Gain a deeper awareness of what procrastination is and why people do it
- Understand the motivational dynamics and mind games that perpetuate procrastination
- Learn a variety of techniques for managing procrastination.