Instructions for Transferring Records to the
Return to Transfers and Donations Main Page
1. Call the Archives at 8-6345 to let us know that would like to transfer records and to discuss whether the records you wish to transfer are permanent historical records. The University Archives accepts only records that document the permanent historical record of the University.
2. After you have spoken to a staff member, fill out a Records Transmittal and Inventory form and email it to the University Archives at
firstname.lastname@example.org. To fill out the form, complete the information highlighted in orange and create an inventory in the lower portion of the form. (Click here to see an example of a completed form.) If your department has never transferred records before, please also fill out an Internal Donor Agreement Form.
3. Email a copy of the Records Transmittal and Inventory form to email@example.com
and include a hard copy with the records that you are transferring. We will email you a finalized copy of the form when the material has been received and accessioned. The form will include an accession number (e.g. AR.2010.011) that we have assigned to the transferred materials. You should keep this number on file to assist you with retrieval of records.
4. Packing Tips. Packing the boxes carefully helps to preserve the records and makes the materials easier to retrieve.
- Materials are to be transferred in standard one cubic foot record center boxes*. These may be obtained at-cost from the Archives. Records submitted in non-standard boxes will be returned to you for re-boxing.
- Letter-size folders should be packed facing the 12" side of the box and legal-size folders packed facing the 15" side. If you have a mixture of the two folder sizes, pack them facing the 15" side.
- Remove any hanging file folders since they don't fit well in the boxes and will eventually damage the box.
- Pack the records in the same order they were filed in your office.
- Make sure boxes are completely filled so that folders do not sag. If you must send a partial box, please insert cardboard boxes or other fill material to support files. See diagram A below.
5. Label each box to include your department's name, the type(s) of records in each box (including the name and title of the person who produced them), the dates included in the box, the number of each box starting with one, and the date of the transfer. Labels should be placed on one end and one side of each box. A good label might look as follows:
Department: Dean of the College
Type of Record: General Correspondence of Dean Jane Smith
Box 1 of 6
Transferred to Archives: 14 January 2010
6. Call Building Services (609-258-3490) to deliver the records to the Mudd Manuscript Library. Once the records are received and accessioned by the archives, you will receive a receipt for the transfer via email.
7. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact Dan Santamaria, Assistant University Archivist for Technical Services at 8-6345 or via
*Record Center Boxes
You may obtain record center boxes from the University Archives by contacting us t 8-6345 or emailing
firstname.lastname@example.org. The charge is $3.00 per box and can be charged to a department account if you provide the account number and the name of the person responsible for disbursing funds from that account. Small quantities of boxes can sent via campus mail or you may pick them up at Mudd Library's loading dock.
Tuesday, 24-Apr-2012 14:22:05 EDT