How to capture VHS to Final Cut Pro
Created by: Philip Acciarito ‘12
1. Insert your tape into the S-VHS slot of the deck.
Push the white S-VHS button and wait for the orange light to turn on. Push the gray S-VHS button in the lower left corner so the green arrow lights up.
2. Go to Final Cut Pro HD > Easy Setup.
Select ITG - S-VHS. If it is not in the menu, check the “Show All” box and try again. Click on “Setup”.
3. Go to Final Cut Pro > System Settings.
Go to the Scratch Disks tab to set your scratch/capture space.
4. Go to File > Log and Capture.
In the Log and Capture window, select the Logging Tab, enter a descriptive name for the clip in the Description field.
5. Use the transport controls ON THE DECK (play, stop, rewind, fast forward) to find the beginning of the clip you want to cap- ture.
Rewind several seconds prior to the start point.
6. Play the tape.
In Final Cut Pro, begin capturing by clicking on “Now” under capture (in the lower right corner of the Log and Capture window.
7. Press “Esc” on the keyboard to stop capturing.
Close the Log and Capture window. You will now see your clip in the Final Cut Pro browser window.