Students may choose to self-identify as having a disability. A student seeking academic or physical accommodations must register with the Office of Disability Services (ODS). ODS respects the sensitive nature of the disclosure and works to provide appropriate accommodations for students while maintaining the highest level of confidentiality possible. Faculty and staff disclosures and requests are treated with the same consideration and confidentiality.
- All disability-related information including documentation, correspondence, consultations, and accommodations is confidential.
- Access to disability-related information with staff is on a need-to-know basis and used for the purpose of ensuring appropriate accommodations.
- Release of information or documentation to any third party outside the University can be made only if a student signs a “Release of Information” form indicating consent to release to the designated party.
- A student may permit ODS to discuss disability-related information with faculty or staff in order to facilitate the implementation of academic or physical accommodations.
- Specific information may be released to first aid or Public Safety personnel for emergency planning and response.