Individuals choose to self-identify as having a disability. A student seeking accommodations must register with ODS. ODS respects the sensitive nature of the disclosure and works to provide appropriate accommodations for students while maintaining the highest level of confidentiality possible.
- Specific disability-related information including documentation, correspondence, consultations, and accommodations is considered confidential.
- Access to such information is on a need-to-know basis, ordinarily for the purpose of ensuring appropriate accommodations.
- Release of information or documentation to any third party can be made only if a student signs a “Release of Information” form indicating consent to release to the designated party.
- A student may give permission to allow ODS to discuss specific disability-related information with faculty or staff in order to facilitate the implementation of accommodations.
- In extraordinary circumstances, limited information may be required to be disclosed in order to protect individuals in an emergency or to comply with law and/or University policies and procedures, including discipline processes.