To establish a new undergraduate student organization, please submit an application to the Student Group Recognition Committee (SGRC), an arm of the Undergraduate Student Government (USG). Your application will be reviewed by the members of the committee and you will be asked to appear before the committee to present your application, demonstrate familiarity with University policies, and answer questions. Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision via email.
If your organization receives recognition from the SGRC, you will set up a New Group Meeting with ODUS in order to do the following:
- Familiarize yourself with ODUS staff
- Register your group via the ODUS Student Organization Processing System (OSOPS)
- Provide officer information
- Register for a group netID
- Register for a group ListServ (optional)
- Review policies and funding resources
- Receive your group's unique chart string
- Request access to the University's financial system (Treasurers only)
To reactivate a dormant group, please contact Jeanne Laymon '11 in the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students.
- Student organizations are required to submit an Online Event Registration Form for every event the group holds (including those held off campus). Your registration must be approved by ODUS before funds can be committed to the event.
- There are no “startup funds” for student organizations. Funding is granted on a per-event basis and cannot be granted retroactively. Funding requests should be submitted to the USG Projects Board or other funding committees. See Funding an Event for more information.
- Students are prohibited from signing contracts on behalf of student organizations. Policy states that these contracts must be reviewed and signed by the Dean. Please give us advance notice of potential contractual obligations, as the review process can take several weeks to complete.
- The vast majority of financial transactions (such as reimbursements) are done via Concur. Paying vendors is done directly through the University financial system (Prime). If you need to pay a vendor, please stop by our office at 313 West College or contact Jeanette DeGuire.
How to set up email, ListServs, and websites
- Group Email Account
All student organizations are required to have a netID and Princeton email account. This email address will serve as the primary method of communication from ODUS and other University offices to your group. It will also be listed on the ODUS web director of student organizations. You can request a netID for your group via OSOPS.
- Lost Email Passwords
Visit this site to reset your group's email password.
Group email lists (ListServs) can be requested here. Once you have created your ListServ, you can make changes and updates using the List Owner Dashboard.
All Princeton netIDs (including student org netIDs) are given free web server space. Student organizations can also use the Princeton WordPress service.
- Web and Email Questions
If you have questions, be sure to contact the OIT HelpDesk at 609-258-HELP or helpdesk@. They are available 24/7. If you need ODUS to verify your information for OIT, please contact us at 609-258-5750.