If you have recently become a new officer with your organization, then you are in the right place!
First of all, please let ODUS know that you are a new officer so we can contact you with important updates and information by filling out the Change of Officer Form. This form is necessary to update all of your contact information with ODUS, including the email Listserv and your listing on the ODUS Student Organization Directory.
We also recommend that you set up a new officer meeting with members of ODUS staff to go over basic officer and financial procedures. Email Bryant Blount or Jeanette DeGuire if you would like to have a new officer meeting with ODUS.
Second of all, read through this website! It has essential information for how to run organizations and plan events. Below are a few helpful hints.
Helpful hints for new officers
- All student organizations are required to submit an Online Events Registration Form for every event the student organization holds, including regularly scheduled meetings and events held off campus. Your event registration must be approved by ODUS before you can commit funds to the event. Visit Registering an Event for more information.
- Please note there are no "start-up funds” for student organizations. Funding is given to groups on a per-event basis and can not be granted retroactively. Requests for funds should be submitted to USG Projects Board or other funding committees. See Funding an Event for more information.
- Students are prohibited from signing any contracts on behalf of student organizations. Policy states that these contracts must be reviewed and signed by the dean. Please give advance notice of potential contractual obligations, as the review process can take a few weeks to complete.
- All financial transactions are submitted to ODUS at 313 West College. Please keep in mind when completing all financial transactions forms, original receipts must be submitted for all reimbursements. All financial paperwork must be completed by 2 weeks after the end of your event. If you wish to process a check for pick up, full and complete paperwork must be submitted at least 1 business week prior to the event.
- Files containing financial records and related paperwork for all student organizations are maintained by ODUS at 313 West College, but groups should also maintain their own copies of their financial records. These records may be subject to an audit by the University at any time.
- Important information related to student groups and event planning, as well as important policies can be found here on the ODUS website and Blueprint.
- If your group does not currently have a constitution, definitely consider implementing one. Here is a Sample Student Organization Constitution.doc, provided by the SGRC.
How to set up email, Listservs and websites
- Group Email Account
All student organizations are required to have a Princeton email account. This group email address will serve as the primary method of communication from ODUS and other University offices, and is also listed on the ODUS web directory of student organizations. New groups will sign up for their group email address during their initial meeting with ODUS using the OIT access request form.
- Lost Email Passwords
If you need to have your group email password reset, please contact Jeanette DeGuire or Bryant Blount.
Group email lists, known as Listservs, can also be created for your student organization to facilitate group communication with the OIT access request form. Please keep in mind that the Listserv name must be different than your group netID. Once you have created your Listserv, you can make changes and updates using the List Owner Dashboard at https://lists.princeton.edu/.
All Princeton netIDs, including student organization netIDs, are given free web server space. To publish your web pages, map your group H: drive and save web pages to the public_html folder contained within.
Princeton also hosts a free blogging service. To create a blog page for your group, send a request to email@example.com. For more information, visit http://blogs.princeton.edu.
- Web and Email Questions
If you have questions, be sure to call the OIT HelpDesk at 8-HELP. They are available 24/7. If you need ODUS to verify your information for OIT, please contact Jeanette DeGuire or call 8-5750.