Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who does the Office of the General Counsel represent?
OGC provides legal advice and representation to Princeton University, including all its schools and departments. This includes providing advice and counsel to Princeton’s trustees, officers, administrators, faculty and staff acting in their official capacities on a variety of issues affecting the University. The office does not and cannot represent individual faculty, staff members or administrators in personal legal matters outside the scope of University business.
2. What type of legal services does the OGC provide?
The OGC provides a full range of legal services to the University in a variety of fields, including labor and employment, real estate, corporate governance, student and faculty issues, contracts, intellectual property and tax, among others.
4. Will OGC represent me if I am sued?
5. Can I retain outside counsel for a University matter?
No. University personnel should not contact outside counsel concerning University business without first consulting the Office of the General Counsel. Only the OGC can retain and approve compensation for outside counsel on behalf of the University. If you believe outside counsel is needed for a University matter, you should contact the OGC. An OGC attorney will evaluate the matter and determine whether outside counsel is necessary or appropriate. If so, the OGC attorney will retain outside counsel with the required expertise.
6. Are my communications with OGC attorneys confidential?
7. What should I do if someone tries to serve me with legal documents?
8. What should I do if I receive a call or letter from an outside attorney?
9. Who has authority to sign documents or act on behalf of the University?
Certain senior officers are authorized to act on behalf of the University. This authority is generally limited to a certain area of responsibility. Please consult your senior manager to determine who has authority to execute a particular document. For more information, you may wish to review Princeton’s Transaction Authority Policy.
10. What is the legal name of the University?
The Office of the General Counsel provides notary services for Princeton University faculty, staff and students.
12. How can I contact the OGC?
The OGC is located at 693 Alexander Road. We can be reached by phone at 609-258-2500, or by fax at 609-258-2502.