6th Annual International Eye Photo Contest
Sponsored by the Office of International Programs in collaboration with the Innovations for Successful Societies Program, Russian and Eurasian Studies Program, and Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
The deadline for submitting photos is 5 p.m., Wednesday, October 16, 2013.
See the Contest Entry Form for details about how to submit your photo(s).
All Princeton undergraduates who have studied, worked, volunteered, or done research abroad in the past year (whether summer or semester) are eligible and may submit a total of three (3) photos. Photos may be submitted in any of the following five categories:
- Abstraction (or photos tending toward abstraction)
- Innovations for Successful Societies (check below for countries covered)
- A Window on Eurasia (check below for countries covered)
- PIIRS Global Seminar
Princeton graduate students who have studied, researched, interned, volunteered, or worked abroad in the past year may submit up to three photos to the Innovations for Successful Societies* category only.
- Innovations for Successful Societies is a special category sponsored by the Innovations for Successful Societies Program, a joint initiative of the Bobst Center and the Woodrow Wilson School. Submissions should reflect the themes of ISS' work, including effective and innovative delivery of basic government services, community dispute resolution, etc. in low-income countries or post-conflict settings. Please consult the ISS website for ideas. Entries might be images of cityscapes, service delivery points, community mediation, election scenes, ribbon cutting ceremonies, public service projects, signs that signal improvements in government services, etc. Creative photos that capture the location as well as ISS themes and local color are encouraged. Use your imagination.
If you took photos in any of the following countries, this category is for you: Africa: Botswana, Burundi, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Somaliland, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia; Asia & Pacific: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Vietnam; Europe & Central Asia: Albania, Bosnia, Croatia, Georgia, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Northern Ireland, Slovenia; United Kingdom; The Americas: Brazil, Colombia, El Salvador, Guyana, Haiti, Mexico; Middle East & North Africa: Egypt, Jordan, Morocco
- “A Window on Eurasia" is a special category sponsored by the Russian and Eurasian Studies Program and Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures. There are no specific thematic limits, but photos submitted for the contest should feature some aspect of local life. Three finalists will have their photos displayed during the academic year in East Pyne.
Countries/regions covered: Russia; Eastern Europe: Albania, Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Slovak Republic, Ukraine, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, and Republic of Macedonia; Central Asia: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan; Caucasus: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia.
- Best in Show
- Best in Category
- Honorable Mention (multiple awards)
The prize winners, as well as a wider selection of photo submissions, will be exhibited on campus and on the OIP and ISS websites, and may also be used--with appropriate attribution and permission--in the published materials of Princeton's offices and programs/departments that sponsor international activities.
Awards Reception and Exhibition
Awards Ceremony and Opening for the 6th Annual International Photo Contest
The exhibition will showcase the wide range of opportunities abroad available to Princeton students: study, internships, academic field work and research, service learning, and work.