IIP Placements in Egypt
NOTE: All placements in Egypt are tentative as there is a State Department Travel Warning issued for Egypt. Interns will not be placed in a country that carries a State Department Travel Warning.
Ashoka Arab World
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Ashoka is the global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs—men and women with system changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. Since 1981, Ashoka has elected over 2,000 leading social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows, providing them with living stipends, professional support, and access to a global network of peers in more than 60 countries. IIP interns in Ashoka’s Middle East/North Africa program (MENA)/Ashoka Arab World work in the Cairo office with professionals and entrepreneurs committed to supporting an influential civil society worldwide. IIP interns are expected to demonstrate Ashoka’s core values of applied empathy, entrepreneurship and collegiality, and commitment to innovation for the public. Ashoka Arab World seeks committed and professional IIP interns with whom it will work to tailor an internship that fits its needs while considering interns' interests and level of experience. IIP interns are typically placed within one of the following areas, although most IIP interns will assist in more than one area:
- Fellows Search and Selection Program: Assist in the search and selection of leading social entrepreneurs for the Ashoka Fellowship by identifying strong candidates and nominators. The intern will also assist candidates in the application process, conducting interviews, and field visits.
- Fellowship program: Assist Fellowship Team in maintaining relationships with Fellows by conducting field visits for a deeper understanding of the initiatives of social entrepreneurs and to maximize their reach and impact.
- Multimedia Program: Develop new multimedia materials (videos, photos, podcasts, etc.) about Ashoka Fellows. Document Ashoka's events and field visits in an innovative way and design AAW's roll-ups, banners, publications, etc.
- Diaspora Program: The Global Diaspora Initiative is one of Ashoka's fundraising strategies. Interns will be able to discover the ins and outs of strategic engagement building through doing research, building databases and other support work.
- Operations: Trouble shoot, multi-task, and learn how an NGO operates and recruits its team. Attention to detail and positive attitude are key!
- Translation: Assist in translating English-Arabic and/or Arabic-English AAW publications, in addition to updating the Arabic version of Ashoka Arab World website, in a way that reflects the organization's mission and vision clearly to both English and Arabic audiences.
- Development Program: Help achieve AAW’s development and fundraising plan, with a specific focus on research for: donors, partners and proposal writing, along with compiling a database of potential strategic partners.
These placements are recommended for IIP candidates with interests in microfinance, non-profit administration, political science, social entrepreneurship, sustainable development, and the Middle East region. Arabic language skills are an asset. Ten placements have been created for International Internship Program (IIP) interns.
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Endeavor is a non-profit organization pioneering a new approach to global development by stimulating and supporting entrepreneurship in emerging countries. Working through an extensive network of local contacts, Endeavor screens hundreds of next-generation entrepreneurs, ultimately selecting those who demonstrate the leadership, creativity, ethical grounding and entrepreneurial qualities to build high-growth, successful companies. Once selected, Endeavor Entrepreneurs benefit from programs and services to help them develop their businesses, plan for growth, and attract financing. Endeavor also stimulates a local entrepreneurial infrastructure by engaging angel investors and partnering with other NGOs. Headquartered in New York City, Endeavor currently has affiliate organizations in ten developing countries. Operating in Egypt since 2007, the local operation aims to become the leading supporter of high-impact entrepreneurship in Egypt. As of October 2010, the Endeavor Egypt portfolio comprised seven companies and ten entrepreneurs, representing diverse industries and stages of growth. Strong writing ability and maturity are two of the most important qualities in a successful IIP candidate. Fluency in English is required; some Arabic is desired but not necessary. Two placements have been created for International Internship Program (IIP) interns.
- Search & Selection: The IIP intern will help coordinate Endeavor Egypt’s selection process by proactively seeking out and screening high-potential entrepreneurs running companies that fit Endeavor selection criteria; conducting in-depth interviews with entrepreneur candidates; assessing companies’ growth potential, critical challenges, and entrepreneurial capacity; drafting company overviews and detailed profiles; analyzing business concept, innovation, growth potential and management team; preparing and coaching final candidates for Local Panels and International Selection Panels; working with Endeavor Global and other Affiliate offices to provide selected entrepreneurs with additional support and resources from Endeavor’s network; keeping up-to-date statistics on Endeavor’s selection process and maintain an ongoing pipeline of potential entrepreneur candidates; other ad hoc tasks related to Endeavor’s work as needed by staff.
- Communication & Outreach: The IIP intern will assist in coordinating Endeavor Egypt’s communication and outreach activities by assisting with event organization; updating social media outlets and maintaining Endeavor Egypt’s online presence; assisting in media relations and documenting (covering) important events organized, or relevant to Endeavor Egypt’s activities; assisting in the production of documentary short films about Entrepreneurship; other ad hoc tasks related to Endeavor’s work as needed by staff.