IIP Placements in Egypt
Ashoka Arab World
If you are applying to this placement, please make sure that you have addressed these questions/statements:
1. Why are you interested in interning at AAW?
2. Describe in your own words what it means to be social entrepreneur.
3. Describe a situation in which you have been innovative and/or entrepreneurial.
4. Please indicate your preferred start and end dates for the internship.
Location: Cairo, Egypt
About: Ashoka is the global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs—men and women with system-changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. From its regional office in Cairo, Ashoka Arab World (AAW) creates a competitive, entrepreneurial, and globally integrated citizen sector and develops the profession of social entrepreneurship. AAW currently works with 85 Ashoka Fellows located in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Libya and the UAE. Seven placements have been created for International Internship Program (IIP) interns.
Intern responsibilities: IIP interns are typically placed within one of the following areas, although most IIP interns will assist in more than one area:
- Fellows Search and Selection Program: Assist in the search and selection of leading social entrepreneurs for the Ashoka Fellowship by identifying strong candidates and nominators. The intern will also assist candidates in the application process, participate in the candidates’ preliminary interviewing process, support in writing and editing of Fellowship candidates’ profiles; perform background research about Fellowship candidates as well as country research; perform Field Visits to the candidate and his/her organization; support the team to prepare materials for the panel selection and support the team with panel preparation and logistics.
- Collaboration Platform Program: Assist the Collaborative Platform Management team in delivering different interventions under the two current initiatives carried out in collaboration with Ashoka Fellows. The Empathy initiative focuses on instilling the skill of empathy in school children through empowering them with: leadership skills, innovative thinking, the ability to work in teams, tolerance, compassion, and an understanding of others. The Street Children initiative aims at improving the place of street children in Egyptian society through promoting empathetic qualities and values among various stakeholders dealing with street children. The intern’s responsibilities, to this end, will include: supporting the Project Management team in coordinating project interventions; contributing to the development of the project’s reports and communication materials; assisting in the organization of major media events if applicable; participating in field visits if applicable and according to security safeguarding procedures; and participating in, and documenting, field interventions including trainings, events and stakeholder meetings.
- Venture Program: This IIP intern will perform complete research on one or more of the following research focus areas in education: Enhancing learning in primary, preparatory, and secondary schools; Non-formal Education; Special Needs Education; School-to-Work Transition; and Education Knowledge Generation and Advocacy. The IIP intern will also identify stakeholders and current initiatives working in the different research focus areas, as well as using the gathered data to analyze the existing gaps in the sector; conduct online and phone surveys for data collection; maintain detailed documentation and tracking system of organizations and individuals contacted for the research; support the team to prepare materials and logistics for the practitioners sector mapping workshop; brief the Search & Selection team prior to the workshop to specify desired outcomes and document the workshops.
- Multimedia Program: Develop new multimedia materials (videos, photos, podcasts, etc.) about Ashoka Fellows to illustrate Ashoka Arab World’s story as well as that of our Fellows, and to document the various Ashoka events and field visits. The multimedia intern will work in coordination with the Media and Marketing Assistant and Research Assistant, to set up a plan specifying: the topics of videos/photos, the number of videos that need to be produced, the various field visits that need to be conducted to produce videos/photos; the design work required for the blog; and the documents (in whatever format) required, to express narrative information and data in an accessible and user-friendly manner. Additionally, in collaboration with the Media and Marketing Assistant, the multimedia intern will be responsible for the following: video-shooting and editing, photo-archiving and management; roll-up/banner design for major events/activities and the layout design for brochures, flyers, posters and other printing materials.
- Diaspora Program: The Global Diaspora Initiative is one of Ashoka's fundraising strategies. Interns will be able to discover the ins and outs of strategic engagement building through doing research, building databases and other support work. IIP intern will help develop and implement the Diaspora Strategy for Ashoka. IIP interns will research and update Diaspora Database; prepare Diaspora research briefs on potential investors and partners under the direction of the Regional Director and Diaspora Assistant as requested; map out potential Diaspora leads and partners; assist in the brainstorming and execution of Diaspora Strategy in coordination with the Diaspora Assistant; assist in planning for strategic trips taken by Regional Director to further Diaspora Strategy; coordinate the distribution of regular email updates to our Diaspora contacts via Ashoka newsletter as requested and assist with Diaspora social media campaigns and create written outputs to be shared with media partners.
- Media and Marketing: This IIP intern will be responsible for the Ashoka social media channels. The IIP intern will also propose, in close collaboration with the Media and Marketing Assistant, a marketing strategy for Ashoka Arab world with tangible goals and a respective timeline with regards to: - new marketing methods - new partnerships - regional events in which Ashoka can participate; and will reach out to national and international media outlets to showcase the work of Ashoka Fellows and programs.
- Development Program: Assist the Development team in implementing the Development Plan, which includes the following tasks:
Support fundraising efforts of the Development team for Ashoka Arab World:
create a map of potential donors based on the strategy created by the Development team, and contribute to any other research activities being conducted and research prospective donors providing relevant information regarding their profile, scope of work, development programs, etc.
Support the writing of funding proposals, and other outputs relevant to the fundraising activities of the Development team (reports, newsletters, marketing materials, etc.)
Contribute to the organization of events led by the Development team: assist with mapping of potential speakers, attendees, venues, and media outlets (for coverage of event)
Continuously update the existing map of external events hosted around the region in which AAW can get involved and assist on the day of the event with general coordination and logistical matters
Contribute to the media and marketing activities of the Development team: assist in the creation of written outputs to be used in the engagement of potential partners and contribute to the ongoing media campaigns (social and traditional)
Qualifications: IIP interns are expected to demonstrate Ashoka’s core values of applied empathy, entrepreneurship and collegiality, and commitment to innovation for the public. Ashoka Arab World seeks committed and professional IIP interns with whom it will work to tailor an internship that fits its needs while considering interns' interests and level of experience. These placements are recommended for IIP candidates with interests in microfinance, non-profit administration, political science, social entrepreneurship, sustainable development, and the Middle East region. Arabic language skills are an asset.
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Endeavor is a non-profit organization pioneering a new approach to global development by stimulating and supporting entrepreneurship in emerging countries. Working through an extensive network of local contacts, Endeavor screens hundreds of next-generation entrepreneurs, ultimately selecting those who demonstrate the leadership, creativity, ethical grounding and entrepreneurial qualities to build high-growth, successful companies. Once selected, Endeavor Entrepreneurs benefit from programs and services to help them develop their businesses, plan for growth, and attract financing. Endeavor also stimulates a local entrepreneurial infrastructure by engaging angel investors and partnering with other NGOs. Headquartered in New York City, Endeavor currently has affiliate organizations in ten developing countries. Operating in Egypt since 2007, the local operation aims to become the leading supporter of high-impact entrepreneurship in Egypt. As of October 2010, the Endeavor Egypt portfolio comprised seven companies and ten entrepreneurs, representing diverse industries and stages of growth. Strong writing ability and maturity are two of the most important qualities in a successful IIP candidate. Fluency in English is required; some Arabic is desired but not necessary. Two placements have been created for International Internship Program (IIP) interns.
- Selection & Growth: The IIP intern will work closely with the Global Team based in New York City, identify and select high-impact entrepreneurs to be Endeavor Entrepreneur candidates from Egypt; manage relationships with candidates and selected Endeavor Entrepreneurs, including developing needs assessment (capital needs, networking, services, strategic alliances, international contacts, research, etc), ensuring deployment of services as appropriate, as well as tracking and monitoring progress; establish strong relationship with mentors, local investors, venture capitals, multinational firms and other potential partners for synergies with the Endeavor network. This IIP intern will also work together with Selection & Growth Associate on Entrepreneur Profile; gathering information, interviewing candidate, and articulating business value proposition. Other special assignments as agreed with the Selection & Growth Associate and Managing Director that would support Endeavor’s mission and the overall entrepreneurship ecosystem in Egypt.
Marketing & Outreach: The IIP intern will assist in identifying and outlining key marketing activities for the year; the management of media relationships and the monitoring of media mentions of Endeavor Egypt, entrepreneurs, and network members; attend events, tend to details on the day of, and ensure smooth course, attend conferences, speaker events and other relevant local activities and report on them and coordinate participation in conferences, panels, and activities relevant to Endeavor.
- Insight & Research: The Insight team, Endeavor’s research arm, seeks to drive Endeavor’s growth by: creating original research to demonstrate high-impact entrepreneurship and to drive job creation and economic growth; analyzing entrepreneurship ecosystems and identifying their common characteristics; and influencing the public policy discourse to improve conditions for high-impact entrepreneurs. This IIP intern will lead key research, strategy, and consulting projects at Endeavor Egypt’s office working very closely with the Global Team in NY.