Money Matters: Summer Study Abroad
Regular Princeton financial aid is not available for summer study abroad; however, there are other funding options to help you meet your program costs. During the summer, the Financial Aid Office offers summer savings replacement aid and loans to help meet program costs. Students apply to individual funders for financial support and/or may be awarded financial support through the program that they attend.
Dean’s Fund for Summer Study Abroad
- The OIP administers the Dean’s Fund for Summer Study Abroad that offers funding on a competitive basis to students receiving financial aid and who enroll in structured academic study abroad and language programs lasting at least four weeks.
Princeton & External Funding
- Some of Princeton’s summer programs provide financial support for admitted students. If your program provides funding, you can learn about it directly from the program.
- Explore Princeton’s Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE), which connects students with University funding for activities, including summer study abroad. Applications to the Dean's Fund for Summer Study Abroad are made through SAFE.
- Outside organizations also offer funding for students pursuing specific projects or studying abroad in certain locations. The Undergraduate Fellowships & Scholarships page lists awards for both summer and academic year study abroad. Funding opportunities for international activities are marked with a globe icon.
- In addition, you may wish to explore sources of funding supported by Princeton alumni groups.
Loans & Summer Savings Replacement Aid
- Currently enrolled Princeton undergraduates who will be attending summer study abroad programs and earning academic credit may qualify for a University loan to help cover the cost of tuition. The loan is limited to the amount of tuition. Room, board, books, personal and transportation expenses will not be considered.
- Princeton also offers summer savings replacement aid if you are unable to save the amount expected from summer earnings.