Applying to Study Abroad for the Academic Year
- Search in Princeton's Global Programs System (GPS) for Academic Year Program information. Read evaluations from students who have studied abroad in the past (available in the Office of International Programs) and contact study abroad global ambassadors.
- Once you have narrowed your options, make a study abroad advising appointment.
Not finding what you're looking for? Princeton does not restrict you to the list of Princeton-approved programs. Many other interesting and highly regarded options exist. You may petition to attend an alternative program.
- Once you have selected an Academic Year Study Abroad Program, click "Apply Now" in GPS to see detailed application instructions and information.
- Check deadlines!
- Fall semester or full year abroad: deadlines in December-April
- Spring semester abroad: deadlines in September-November
- Oxford/Cambridge: February of the year prior!
- For programs and institutions on the approved list that have published application deadline dates that fall after the internal Princeton deadline for applying for study abroad (November 1 and April 29), we adjust the application deadline up to the Princeton deadline.
- Most programs and foreign universities accept students on a rolling basis, even if they advertise a specific application deadline. As a result, popular programs may fill before the stated deadline date. Additionally, many programs are flexible in accepting applications after the deadline if space is still available. Consult an adviser for options.
- If you are an upperclass student, review program choices with your departmental representative to determine which courses can be counted toward departmental requirements and to make arrangements for the completion of independent work while abroad.
- Complete the Study Abroad Course Approval process detailed in your GPS application (deadline of April 29 for fall semester and full year programs and November 1 for spring semester programs).
- Or if you are applying to a non-approved program, complete the Petition process by October 15 or March 15.
- Updated information regarding financial aid will be available in GPS after your application is approved. Deadlines to submit financial aid forms: August 1 for fall semester and December 1 for spring semester.