The Chemistry Department encourages students interested in studying abroad to consider opportunities either prior to entering the department (sophomore year) or during the spring semester of the junior year.
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Hertford College, Oxford University, Oxford, England
- Oxford-Princeton Exchange in Biochemistry, Oxford University, Oxford, England
- University of Leeds, Leeds, England
- Center for University Programs Abroad, Paris, France
- University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
- Consortium for Advanced Studies in Barcelona, Spain
- Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Chemistry majors interested in the study abroad program are required to meet with Dr. Robert L’Esperance, the Chemistry Department’s Director of Undergraduate Studies, well in advance to plan coursework and independent work for all semesters remaining until graduation.
For juniors choosing to study overseas during the spring semester, it is imperative that the following be in place prior to departure:
- Satisfactory completion of the Chemistry Department’s experimental lab course requirement.
- Satisfactory completion of the Fall Junior Independent Work program.
- Preapproval by the Chemistry Department as to how the Spring Junior Independent Work project will be completed at the overseas institution. Arrangements must be finalized with the faculty member at the foreign institution who will mentor the laboratory research project. The spring Junior Independent Work will culminate in a formal written paper, as per department requirements for all chemistry concentrators.
- Prearrangement of a thesis research project with a member of our faculty. This project will be started upon returning to the Princeton campus.
- Pre-approval of a chemistry course taken at the foreign institution that will count towards the eight required departmentals, should the student elect such a plan.
Early concentrators may have the leeway to study abroad for either the fall or the spring semester, depending upon the coursework and Independent Work satisfactorily completed by the end of the term prior to departure.