In the belief that travel and study in the Mediterranean are an important part of classical education, the department strongly encourages its students to participate in one of the many programs available.
The Classics Department provides information about study abroad for classics majors on its departmental website.
Many departmental students spend one term of junior year at the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome. The center offers instruction in classical languages, presents lectures on ancient literature and history, and sponsors a series of trips to important museums and archaeological sites. Instruction is in English by American faculty members, and the curriculum is integrated with the Princeton undergraduate program.
Equally valuable is the summer program at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens. The department has some funds to help meet the expenses of such summer study, and additional assistance may be available through the Program in Hellenic Studies.
Students who would benefit from intensive work in the languages may apply for financial assistance to study at a Greek or Latin institute.
Other Suggested Programs
CLA majors can study abroad through a variety of programs. Below are some more suggestions from OIP's study abroad advisers:
- Middlebury School Abroad, Hangzhou, China
- Pembroke College, University of Cambridge, England
- Hertford College, University of Oxford, Oxford, England
- Worcester College, University of Oxford, Oxford, England
- University College London, England
- Berlin Consortium for German Studies, Germany
- Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- Trinity College Rome, Italy*
- University of Edinburgh; Scotland*
- University of St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland*