Near Eastern Studies
In recent years, Near Eastern Studies students have studied abroad at
- American University in Cairo, Egypt
- Middlebury School in the Middle East, Alexandria, Egypt
- School of Oriental and African Studies, London, England
- AMIDEAST in Amman, Jordan
- CET in Irbid, Jordan
- CIEE in Jordan
- Middlebury School in Jordan
- ALIF Institute via University of Minnesota, Morocco
- Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey
- McGhee Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies, Alanya, Turkey
Study abroad is very much encouraged, and a number of study abroad programs are available in the Middle East. Princeton students concentrating in Arabic have participated in programs in Morocco, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt. The majority study at the American University in Cairo because of its fine reputation in Arabic teaching, either for a semester or a full year, with a select group of teachers and tutors. Note: Study in Syria and Egypt is currently not permitted as these countries are on the U.S. State Department Warning List.
The department also makes every effort to facilitate student participation in any of a number of excellent summer intensive language study programs in the U.S. and the Middle East. The Program in Near Eastern Studies may be able to offer limited support for students who wish to take advantage of such intensive study opportunities.
Students wishing to develop their knowledge of Hebrew further are able to benefit from various programs in Israel during the summer or during a semester (or year) in one of the Israeli universities, such as the Hebrew University, or Tel Aviv University.
For students concentrating in Turkish, there are several intensive summer language programs, such as the courses offered by Bogaziçi University and Ankara University's certificate program in various locations in Turkey. All-year or one-semester study abroad programs have also been arranged with the following programs:
- Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Bogaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Georgetown University's McGhee Center in Alanya, Turkey.
The best times for study abroad are during sophomore spring semester through senior fall semester.