The Department of Psychology strongly encourages students to study abroad. Students can study abroad in either semester of the junior year or during the fall of the senior year.
Students considering study abroad are urged to discuss their plans with the departmental representative early in the planning stages to lay out course work, obtain approvals, and set up independent work assignments. Two pre-approved courses per semester abroad can count toward the departmental course requirements.
Those juniors who study abroad in their fall semester will be exempt from the junior orientation and APA style workshops, but will be required to write one fall junior paper under the supervision of a departmental faculty member. Juniors who study abroad in the spring semester will write the required spring junior paper under the supervision of a departmental faculty member, though it is also possible for the junior to collaborate with a faculty member abroad to perform research towards completing independent work. Seniors who choose to study abroad during the fall term must be sure to consult the department’s Human Subjects Administrator, RoseMarie Stevenson, prior to departure if they intend to perform research involving human subjects while abroad.
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
A special University of Queensland Psychology-Princeton University Study Abroad Intensive Research Program, available in the spring. This study abroad program includes placement in research labs for junior independent work.
Other Suggested Programs
PSY majors can study abroad through a variety of programs. Below are some more suggestions from OIP's study abroad advisers:
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of New South Wales, Australia
- Princeton in Cuba; Havana, Cuba*
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad; Copenhagen, Denmark*
- University College London; England*
- University of Oxford, Oxford, England
- Center for University Programs Abroad, Paris, France*
- Columbia-Penn Program in Paris at Reid Hall, France
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- University of St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Boston University in Madrid, Spain
- Consortium for Advanced Studies in Barcelona (CASB); Spain*
- IES Abroad in Salamanca, Spain
- University of Granada, Granada, Spain
- CIEE Arts and Sciences Program in Uppsala, Sweden*