Spanish & Portuguese
The Department strongly encourages its concentrators to spend as much time as they can in any country where their language(s) of concentration is (are) spoken. There are many ways of doing this within the four-year undergraduate degree: through study abroad for one or two semesters; through summer study abroad; and through a summer internship abroad.
Approved courses taken abroad in one semester will normally count for up to two departmental courses. Students must complete the program abroad to the standards required by the foreign institution.
Grades awarded by foreign institutions for courses that are recognized in lieu of Princeton courses are not included in the consideration of Departmental Honors.
Students who study abroad are not exempted from independent work requirements. A departmental faculty member will serve as JP adviser while the student is abroad. The student and the adviser will keep in touch through e-mail, Skype, or any other mutually convenient method of communication.
Junior Semester/Junior Year Abroad:
Students planning to spend abroad a semester or their whole junior year should seek advice from the Departmental Representative and from relevant faculty in choosing a suitable program of study.
SPO majors can study abroad through a variety of programs. Below are some suggestions from your study abroad advisers:
- CIEE Study Center, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Argentine Universities Program via IFSA-Butler, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- NYU in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- San Pablo Catholic University, La Paz, Bolivia
- Brown in Brazil, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- CIEE at Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, Brazil
- University of São Paulo , Brazil
- Chilean Universities Program via IFSA-Butler University, Valparaiso, Chile
- Princeton in Cuba*
- CIEE at Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Santiago, Dominican Republic
- National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
- Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, Lima, Peru
- Hamilton College Academic Year in Spain, Madrid, Spain
- IES Abroad in Granada, Spain*
- Sweet Briar College Junior Year in Seville, Spain
- Middlebury School in Spain
All students interested in languages are encouraged to study abroad during the summer through Princeton in Spain, Princeton in Argentina, Princeton in Brazil, Princeton in Portugal (NEW!), or one of the other programs recommended by the department and the Office of International Programs. The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers a limited number of scholarships for summer programs abroad in Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries.