Spanish & Portuguese
The Department strongly encourages its concentrators to spend as much time as they can in any country where their language(s) of concentration is (are) spoken. There are many ways of doing this within the four-year undergraduate degree: through study abroad for one or two semesters; through summer study abroad; and through a summer internship abroad.
Junior Semester/Junior Year Abroad
Students planning to spend abroad a semester or their whole junior year should seek advice from the Departmental Representative and from relevant faculty in choosing a suitable program of study. For further assistance contact the Office of International Programs. Departmental and University approval of programs abroad is required.
Grades awarded by foreign institutions for courses that are recognized in lieu of Princeton courses are not included in the consideration of Departmental Honors.
Students who study abroad are not exempted from independent work requirements. The Department usually can make arrangements to find a JP adviser in the location where the student spends the semester or year abroad.
Approved courses taken abroad in one semester will normally count for up to two departmental courses. Students must complete the program abroad to the standards required by the foreign institution.
In recent years, Spanish & Portuguese majors have studied abroad through the following programs:
- Universidad Torcuato Di Tella, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- CIEE Study Center, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Argentine Universities Program via IFSA-Butler, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- NYU in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- San Pablo Catholic University, La Paz, Bolivia
- Brown in Brazil, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- CIEE Study Center at Pontificia Universidad Católica de São Paulo, Brazil
- University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Chilean Universities Program via IFSA-Butler University, Valparaiso, Chile
- CIEE at Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Santiago, Dominican Republic
- Ibero-American University via Loyola University, Mexico
- National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico
- Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, Lima, Peru
- Consortium for Advanced Studies in Barcelona, Spain
- Hamilton College Academic Year in Spain, Madrid, Spain
- C.V. Starr-Middlebury School in Spain
Summer Language Study
All students interested in languages are encouraged to study abroad during the summer through Princeton in Spain or one of the other programs recommended by the department and the Office of International Programs. The Department of Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Cultures offers a limited number of $1,000 and $500 scholarships for summer programs abroad in Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries.