When an individual contacts the Ombuds Office, we schedule an initial consultation to discuss the issues. During this consultation, the visitor will be able to:
- Talk about the problem in confidence with an impartial person
- Inquire about and get information regarding applicable policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and other resources
- Discuss goals and alternatives and plan a strategy for dealing with the problem, trying mediation and other alternatives
- Get referrals to other University offices that may provide additional help (student life, SHARE, human resources, health services, employee assistance, religious life, and more)
- Recommend changes in existing University policies, procedures and practices
- Request other services such as mediation, coaching, training and consulting
A visit with the Ombuds Office is confidential, meaning that the Ombuds Officer and staff will not discuss it with others or take any action without the permission of the person seeking the services.