MODULE 1: Our Environment
There are more than 1,500 ongoing externally-sponsored research projects at Princeton University. These projects are accomplished by dedicated research teams typically composed of a principal investigator (PI), academic staff, students, department and/or school administration (DA), and central administration (CA).
The general responsibilities and roles of the research team follow.
- Has overall responsibility for all aspects of the research project including the technical and financial aspects, the intellectual direction of the research, and the education of graduate students
University policy allows certain individuals to serve as principal investigators or co-principal investigators, by virtue of their appointments. These include all faculty ranks and select professional research staff ranks. Individuals in certain other positions may serve as PI or co-PI with special approval from the University Research Board.
Department/business/center/program/institute administration (DA)
- Provides support to the PI for proposal development and submission
- Responsible for overseeing and implementing financial controls in their departments to ensure local compliance with University and federal policies for managing sponsored research funds
Central Administration *
- Approves all proposals for research or other activity to be performed on University premises, or using University resources on behalf of the Trustees of Princeton University
- Negotiates and accepts awards for the institution, in collaboration with the PI and DA as necessary
- Sets policy at the institutional level for compliance with federal regulations
- Provides systems to track and monitor spending on University accounts
- Provides support to the DA and PI in carrying out the project
- Provides many oversight functions during the life of a sponsored project
* Central Administration includes the University Research Board (URB), Office of Research and Project Administration (ORPA), Office of Sponsored Research Accounting (SRA), Treasurer's Office, and Internal Audit.