January 26, 2005: Memorials


Fred died Oct. 9, 2004. Born in South Orange, N.J., son of Frederick H. Smith III 1894, he came to Princeton from Lawrenceville.

He believed Princeton not only gave him a good education but that it was a lot of fun. He was a member of Triangle and Tower Club, for which he recruited jazz bands for Houseparties. After working at Hanover Trust Co. he became a fund-raiser for one of New York’s neighborhood houses.

As war clouds thickened Fred enlisted in the Naval Reserve and served in the Pacific until service-connected deafness forced him into a shore job — public information officer for the 12th Naval District in San Francisco. He retired as a lieutenant commander. Fred remained in the Bay area, running an office-supplies business and leading efforts to save the Marin Headlands and other areas from urban sprawl. His efforts eventually brought about the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. The American Civil Liberties Union grew under his care. He also was president of Self Help for the Hard of Hearing.

In 1966 the Princeton Club of San Francisco honored Fred for community service. At his death, Fred was serving as class vice president and memorials chair.

He is survived by his wife, Marion, son Daniel ’65, daughter Jane Jackson, and four granddaughters, to whom the class sends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1930



Os Elbert, a pensioned Lutheran pastor with some shut-in calling and preaching, died Aug. 5, 2004, in Reading [Pa.] Hospital after a brief illness.

Since 1993 he and his wife, Alice Femsler Elbert, had lived in a continuing-care facility in Wyomissing, Pa., “to relieve our children,” in his words, “of our care and concern.”

Having received his master of divinity degree from the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in 1940, Os served in a number of positions, including pastor at a Lutheran church in Columbus, Ohio, and another in Middletown, N.Y.; for the National Lutheran Council in its Division of College and University Work; as pastor of a Lutheran church in Tinicum and Clark’s Summit, Pa., and, from 1971-80 as pastor of Epiphany Lutheran Church in Temple, Pa.

Surviving, besides Alice, are two daughters, a son, a brother, and five grandchildren, to all of whom we offer our sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1934



After a brief illness, Balky died March 19, 2002.

He prepared for Princeton at The Hill School and in college majored in psychology, captained the swim team, managed the 150-pound crew, and joined Tiger Inn.

Before graduation he landed a job at American Brake Shoe & Foundry Co. He worked there for the next two decades, broken only by a few years off for duty as a Naval intelligence officer in World War II.

Not until years later did Balky admit his life had not worked out precisely as planned. His special talent was in sales management and therefore job moves were frequent at ABS as well as Borg Warner and Saab, the companies with which he spent the last 20 years of his career. That meant that he and his bride, Marjorie Banks, set up a dozen homes in Illinois, Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Michigan in the first 45 years of their marriage. There were compensations: Balky made countless friends and spent many family vacations on Martha’s Vineyard and in northern Ontario.

Retirement brought pleasures he had missed, including spending more time with classmates and doing more Schools and Scholarship Committee work for Princeton.

Marjorie died in 1996. Their sons Alexander B. (“Pete”), Uri B. III, and Jonathan G. survived Balky, as did six grandchildren.

The Class of 1935



Ralph died May 24, 2002, four days before his 89th birthday.

A graduate of Nichols School in Buffalo, he majored in economics and was a member of Tower Club at Princeton. He graduated from Harvard Law in 1939 and spent 1942-46 as an Army intelligence officer, stationed in New York, Baltimore, and Philadelphia.

His last posting proved providential for Ralph. In Philadelphia he said, “I just took root.” He did industrial-relations work for several companies in the area and in 1957 joined Johnson Matthey, a British-owned platinum fabricator, with offices in Malvern, Pa. It was a match that lasted 21 years. Ralph started as head of industrial relations but by 1965 had become corporate secretary. He also handled public relations and wrote prize-winning editorials for the company’s newsletter.

Retirement in 1978 gave Ralph more time for traveling with his wife, the former Mary Ellen Reeder. In the first 40 years of their marriage, he calculated, they visited 24 countries. But Princeton, its Alumni Council Colleges, and ’35 class gatherings were always musts on his yearly calendar as was volunteer work (for 13 years) at Lankenau Hospital in Wynnewood, Pa. Mary Ellen survived Ralph as did their son, Ralph J. Jr., daughters Joanne and Barbara, and seven grandchildren.

The Class of 1935



Nort died in Silver Spring, Md., July 17, 2002.

He spent his freshman year of college at Notre Dame, then transferred to Princeton, where he majored in politics and played JV football. Post-graduation posed his first big challenge. “It took a letter of introduction from Major Bowes, then King of Radio, to get me my first job as a page at NBC in New York,” he said.

Thereafter, he worked as a sportswriter, bookkeeper, car salesman, and junior accountant before training as a special agent for the FBI. That took him to San Francisco, Chicago, New Haven, and Washington, D.C., where he was put in charge of civil investigations. When the Air Force became a separate department in the Department of Defense, Nort was named its chief of procurement investigations. He retired from government service in 1969, and until 1974 was coordinator of the Criminal Justice Program at Maryland’s Montgomery College.

His first wife, Ann DelaCave, died in 1982. The next year he married Jean Hartman who, with her late husband, had been Nort and Ann’s best friends for 30 years. Nort and “Bonnie” Jean summered in Bethesda, Md., wintered in Jensen Beach, Fla., and joined ’35 in many Florida and Princeton reunions. She survived him as did his son Norton Jr., stepchildren Paul and Sandra Hartman, a sister, and two grandchildren.

The Class of 1935



Dave Reich, a resident of Shaftsbury, Vt., died in his sleep Sept. 30, 2004, in Seattle after a long illness. He had lived with his son in Seattle since November 2003.

Dave spent his childhood in Japan and the Philippines while his father worked as a buyer for the Marshall Field Corp. As a child in Manila, he lost his mother in the Yokohama earthquake of 1923. After preparing at Lawrenceville, he majored in economics at Princeton and was a member of Cap and Gown Club. In 1940 he obtained an MBA from Harvard.

During World War II, Dave served more than two years in the Pacific theater as an anti-aircraft artillery platoon leader. Postwar he and his wife first lived in New York City, then moved to North Salem, N.Y. Dave worked for more than 30 years in midtown Manhattan as a marketing and sales executive in the synthetic-fibers industry. After retirement he and his wife lived in Shaftsbury for 18 years.

Survivors are his wife, Carol; two of their three sons; a daughter-in-law, the widow of his youngest son; five grandchildren; and two great-grandsons, to all of whom the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1938



Rog died peacefully July 6, 2004, in Charlottesville, Va., where he had been living in retirement since 1983.

His business career spanned 37 years. His first job, with Douglas Aircraft, was interrupted by World War II when he entered the Air Force, from which he eventually retired as a lieutenant colonel and with the Legion of Merit. Through the years he was involved with corporate financial, administrative, and operations management and planning. Perhaps that’s why, after retirement, Rog was asked to assist with the reorganization of the U.S. Postal Service in Washington, a challenge that resulted in several important changes to help bring operations into state-of-the-art corporate management.

His retirement was spent fishing with his sons, working on his cabin in the Blue Ridge, and helping sail his son’s 42-foot sloop in and between the Bahamas and Chesapeake Bay. He was a member of the Society of the Cincinnati and served as finance committee chairman of St. John’s Episcopal Church.

Rog is survived by his wife, Geraldine, their daughter and two sons, eight grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. By all, he is remembered as a beloved family man. We offer them our sincere sympathy in their loss.

The Class of 1939



Our Son of Kentucky died Oct. 12, 2004, in Lexington after a long bout with Alzheimer’s disease.

After Woodberry Forest School, Syd majored in biology at Princeton, winning departmental honors. He was captain of the varsity polo team, and a member of the skeet club and Charter Club. Syd was in the Army’s First Armored Division during the North African campaign and earned the Distinguished Service Cross. Wounded, he returned to the U.S. After additional service in England and Ireland, he retired in 1946 as a major.

He was a self-employed Realtor and broker until retirement. After his marriage to Ann Haldeman Price, the family spent vacations at the winter home of the Haldeman grandparents. This was reported to be the oldest beachfront house in Naples, Fla., and became the scene of 1940 mini-reunions and the annual Combs Party for the Princeton Club of Southwest Florida, of which Syd was a director.

Syd was a founding member of the Idle Hour Country Club, and a member of the Iroquois Hunt Club, Kentucky Society for the Preservation of Useful Knowledge, and many other clubs and organizations.

In addition to his wife of 64 years, Ann, he is survived by sons Christopher S. and Sydney Sayre, daughter Mary Combs Winans, and three grandchildren. To them, his classmates extend deep sympathies.

The Class of 1940



Brooke died Aug. 20, 2004, of congestive heart failure at his home in Chevy Chase, Md.

He graduated from St. Paul’s School in New Hampshire and, like four Lees before him, attended Princeton, where he was a member of Ivy Club. He did postgraduate work at Harvard Business School, and served as class secretary for the school’s Alumni Bulletin until his death.

Brooke served in the Army in Europe during World War II. For 20 years he was with Scott Paper Co. in Philadelphia as a marketing executive. He founded the National Account Marketing Association, and served as president for several years. He was the president of E. Brooke Lee Jr. Properties.

Brooke was married three times. His marriages to Camilla Lee and Deborah Lee ended in divorce. A son from his first marriage, E. Brooke Lee III, died in 2003. Survivors include his wife, Brenda Puderbaugh Lee, whom he married in 1998; five children from his first marriage, Camilla Alexander, Kaiulani Kimbrell, Katie Blair St. John, Richard Lee, and Elizabeth Lee; two children from his second marriage, Samuel Lee and Regina Lee; stepsons Thomas Puderbaugh, Shawn Puderbaugh, and Shannon Puderbaugh; a half-brother, Bruce Lee; 14 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

The Class of 1940



Todd Cooke, our class valedictorian, prominent executive, revered civic leader, and music aficionado, died Oct. 15, 2004, at home in Bryn Mawr, Pa.

An outstanding scholar at St. George’s School, at Princeton Todd gained highest honors and election to Phi Beta Kappa in English and in the Divisional Program of the Humanities. He was a member of Ivy Club. After serving during World War II in the Army in communications and cryptography, Todd matriculated at MIT and earned a master’s in city planning.

During the next 15 years he was successively city planner for Philadelphia and executive director of the Delaware Planning Commission. In the meantime he had married Mary “Polly” Marshall Toland, and they had Mary Marshall and Merritt Todd IV. Polly died in 1951. In the second phase of his career Todd rose to vice president of the First Pennsylvania Banking and Trust Co. and, in the third and final phase, Todd was chairman and CEO of Meritor Financial Group.

Todd’s greatest legacy was as a devoted and loyal board member of many civic and business groups. He will long be remembered as a former president of the Philadelphia Orchestra and chairman of the Curtis Institute of Music.

To Todd’s wife, Margaret “Peggy” Groome, and his children, the class extends deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942



Roger, former financial adviser with New England Mutual Life Insurance Co., died peacefully Sept. 5, 2004, at home in Charlottesville, Va.

An honors graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy, at Princeton he earned high honors in mechanical engineering and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Roger was a founding member of the Nassoons, played varsity soccer, and was a member of Cloister Inn.

After graduation, during World War II, Roger worked for Norden Laboratories developing mission-critical autopilot systems and bombsights. By 1953 Roger had found his niche as an independent financial consultant, after serving New England Life as general agent in the Schmidt Agency. His consultancy, headquartered in the Waldorf Astoria, grew to include all financial-planning areas.

In 1985 he and his wife, Jeanne Boland Schmidt, moved to the Hawaiian Islands and lived both on Maui and Oahu. Ten years later they returned to the mainland and settled in Charlottesville. For five years Roger was a dedicated and loyal volunteer at Martha Jefferson Hospital as a patient advocate. He also tutored public-school students.

To Jeanne, Roger’s surviving sons Bradford and Peter, three stepdaughters, and eight grandchildren. the class extends its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1942



Hugh died Oct. 3, 2004, four years after a stroke, in Newport, R.I., where he and his wife lived in the family home. He was 81.

He prepared at St. George’s School in Newport. At Princeton, he played junior varsity football and wrestling, roomed with John Aalfs, and belonged to Tower Club.

Hugh majored in architecture, but after brief military service, he accepted a diplomatic post and went on to spend 33 years as a career Foreign Service officer. From abroad he wrote our secretaries of meeting classmates in romantic and historic cities (including Istanbul, Paris, and Saigon during the Vietnam War), where he was posted as a diplomatic courier, vice consul, consul, or consul general. Hugh graduated from the National War College and served on the faculty of the Foreign Service Institute.

Back in the States, he became a reunion regular. Memberships included the Princeton clubs of New York and Washington, the Nassau Club of Princeton, and the Newport Country Club. He enjoyed tennis, jogging, and raising Jack Russell terriers. “A full life, a great guy,” wrote his wife, Jean.

We send sympathy to Jean; daughter Sandra Pumroy; sons A. Hugh III and Stephen ’80; and three grandchildren. Another daughter, Patricia, died earlier. At Hugh’s request, ashes of one of his favorite terriers were buried with him.

The Class of 1944



Death came to John Oct. 3, 2004.

At Princeton, following graduation from Lawrenceville, John was in Campus Club, vice president of the Pistol Club, and on the class memorial fund committee. He graduated with honors in mechanical engineering. He served twice in the military, from 1945-46 and 1954-55. He earned a master’s in engineering from Princeton in 1952 and an MBA from Harvard in 1956.

John’s professional career was mainly with Russell, Burdsall and Ward. He retired as technical director in 1992. He was a registered professional engineer, held numerous U.S. and foreign patents, and authored many technical papers. Retirement meant indulging his talents in photography, and his research on US military and naval history as well as the history of New England manufacturers.

His joy in cruising the New England coast was great. He treasured his Princeton experience and the friendships with faculty and classmates that flowed from it.

John and his wife, Sue, were especially pleased that their son, John ’95, chose to follow in his footsteps. The class extends its condolences to Sue and John at the death of a loyal friend and loyal Princetonian, a gentleman, and a scholar.

The Class of 1948



Dave died Aug. 10, 2004.

A native of Detroit and graduate of Cranbrook School, Dave joined us in June 1944 and graduated four years later with an AB in economics. He was in Cap and Gown, president of the Press Club, and active in the Bureau of Student Aid.

He served in the Merchant Marine from 1945-46 and the Air Force from 1950-53. Dave said he was given a choice between the Air Force or the infantry.

After his years in the service of his country, Dave’s career was in advertising and sales. He was with two national advertising agencies for about 15 years. Then he joined a manufacturer’s agents firm specializing in selling hunting, fishing, and marine products in the Midwest.

In 1990 he ostensibly retired but continued marketing on a semiretired basis, as well as his longtime involvement with an amateur theatrical group. Golf, tennis, and fishing never lost their allure.

The class extends its condolences to Dave’s devoted children, Rob, Bill, and June, as well as his four grandchildren. Dave returned for major reunions and kept in touch with Princeton friends.

The Class of 1948



Peter died June 14, 2004, at his Charleston, S.C., home.

A graduate of Episcopal High School in Virginia, Peter earned high honors in history at Princeton and studied at Penn’s Wharton School. He enlisted in the Navy during World War II and served as an officer in the Korean War, receiving decorations for meritorious service from the Republic of Korea.

He began his journalism career as a reporter. Following in his father’s footsteps, he became president and publisher of the Evening Post Publishing Co. in 1959 and board chairman in 1984. Under his leadership the company expanded to include four daily newspapers, 11 weeklies and 10 television stations, in addition to its flagship paper, Charleston’s Post and Courier.

Through the purchase of the Buenos Aires Herald during the Peron era, Peter became known for his work to protect press freedom.

Peter played a key role in Charleston’s remarkable historic preservation. An amateur ornithologist and sportsman, he was considered one of America’s leading conservationists. He personally donated thousands of acres in his native South Carolina to a conservation easement and placed his beloved Wyoming ranch under a similar easement.

We share the loss of this exceptional man with his wife, Patricia; his children, Pierre and Gabrielle; and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1950



Pete died Feb. 14, 2004, in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Born in Nashville, Tenn., Pete attended Duncan College Preparatory School. He enrolled at Vanderbilt, but left to serve in the Army at Gen. MacArthur’s Tokyo headquarters as a journalist for Stars and Stripes. After his service, he entered Princeton as a junior, became a member of Tower Club, and graduated with honors in English.

Pete earned a Ph.D. in English from Yale in 1954. Over the next nine years, he taught at Amherst College, Harvard University, and the University of Texas at Austin. From 1963-90, he was a professor in the English department at Brandeis University. His first book, The Art of Faulkner’s Novels, published in 1963, became a standard text and remained in print into the 1980s. After publishing a textbook, Anatomy of Writing, in 1965, he returned to an early interest in analytic philosophy and published articles in Mind and other philosophical journals.

A lifelong chess player and amateur house builder, Pete loved hiking, skiing, and tennis.

To his three children, William ’77, Katherine Ann, and Nathaniel, and three grandchildren, we extend our condolences.

The Class of 1950



Hank died April 17, 2004, in Spring Hill, Fla.

His wife, Lorraine, said he had suffered from multiple-systems atrophy, Parkinson’s, ataxia, and Alzheimer’s. A native Philadelphian, he came from Northeast High School where he graduated in the top 10 percent of his class. He was a freshman football stalwart and lettered on the 1950 varsity as an offensive left tackle. Varsity center Ted McClain, a roommate, good-naturedly recalls Hank as “a fun-loving, roly-poly individual with a blond crew cut.” Another roommate, varsity tackle Fred Powell, fondly says Hank was built like “a fireplug” and was “a hard-nosed player.”

When good-humored Hank left Princeton the middle of sophomore year, he gave Fred his “P.U. gym” pants and the telephone number of his local girlfriend’s sister. The cover of the 1999 Yale game program contained a 1950 posed picture of teammates Hank and Holly Donan ’51 providing pass protection for Dick Kazmaier ’52. Lorraine has it framed as a treasured memento.

Hank was an Army veteran who served in Korea, and until his retirement was associated with Metro Distributing Co.

Besides Lorraine he leaves daughters Jeannette Pickford and Charlotte Doerfler, and seven grandchildren. We regret Hank was not with us all four years on campus and on the gridiron.

The Class of 1953



Jim died in his sleep Sept. 12, 2004, at home.

Born in Concordia, Kan., Jim prepared for college at Modesto [Calif.] High School. At Princeton, he majored in electrical engineering, was a member of Terrace Club, where he served on the bicker committee, and played numerous I.A.A. sports. After graduation he served as a lieutenant in the Army Signal Corps. He settled in Phoenix and earned a master’s in electrical engineering at Arizona State University. He worked for General Electric in the computer engineering department.

Jim was a charter member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church and was active in many community activities. According to his wife, “He gave to others without questions asked.”

Jim is survived by his wife of 49 years, Grace; daughter Laura; sons James Jr. and Steven; and two grandchildren. Jim and Grace attended our 50th reunion. The class extends sympathy to his family in their loss.

The Class of 1954



Walt died Oct. 24, 2004, from complications of Hodgkin’s disease and multiple myeloma.

He prepared for Princeton at Mamaroneck High School in Larchmont, N.Y. At Princeton, he majored in mechanical engineering, joined Cloister, and was active in the radio station, theater, and choral groups. After graduation, he worked as a design engineer at Union Carbide Corp. in Bound Brook, N.J.

Walt subsequently developed his own construction business, and in 1976 became an instructor in engineering at Adirondack Community College in Queensbury, N.Y., where he taught until his retirement in 1993. He remained an ardent Tiger fan and attended almost all major reunions.

The class extends its condolences to Walt’s wife, Mary Jane, and their children, Walter, William, and Jeanne, and three grandsons.

The Class of 1954



Al died Oct. 19, 2004, of multiple myeloma. He was 69.

Al attended Phillips Exeter Academy, and earned bachelor’s degrees in engineering at Princeton and in architecture at MIT. Al joined Tiger Inn, was active in the Glee Club and cheerleading, and roomed with Ted Jones, John Muller, D. Hoxworth, T. McLean, K. Alexander, and J. Osander.

In 1965 Al and his family moved to Minneapolis, where he opened an architectural practice and taught architecture at the University of Minneapolis. He created the development plans for Minnesota State Capital One and the Minnesota Zoological Gardens, among other projects.

In 1982 he moved to Naples, Fla., opening his own firm designing important buildings including the Von Liefig Art Center and the Wynn Building. In 1993 he led efforts for the revitalization of downtown Naples.

Al believed communities must plan for long-term development that nourishes social character. He was president of the American Institute of Architects Florida Southwest Chapter, co-founder of Southwest Florida Land Preservation Trust, and member of Trinity-By-The-Cove Episcopal Church in Naples. His wide-ranging interests included the arts, fishing, travel, and American history.

He is survived by his children Allison, Caroline, Al IV, and five grandchildren. His wife, Allyn R. French, predeceased him. The class joins in saluting this fine man and in its sympathy to his family.

The Class of 1957



Bill, also known as “Glassy,” died Sept. 13, 2004, of throat cancer.

Even before Princeton, Bill was interested in theater and is remembered for the style and humor he contributed to three years of Triangle shows. Throughout his life he played piano and sang American show tunes and other music for his friends. In his last years, his own voice reduced, he recorded songs with his daughter, Briony, and friend Adam Broughton singing.

After Princeton, Bill studied at Oxford, taught English at the University of Toronto (from which he was later awarded an honorary doctor of letters degree), and studied drama at New York University.

He was a theater director who championed plays and players that spoke in a Canadian voice to Canadian audiences. In 1971 Bill founded Toronto’s Tarragon Theatre and served for more that a decade as its artistic director. He later helped merge two theater companies into CanStage, his country’s principal contemporary theater.

In 1999, Bill founded the Montreal Young Company. He encouraged and nurtured connections between the English and French theater traditions. In later years, Bill lived in Quebec City, Montreal, and in a family summer home in Tadoussac, where he offered friendship and hospitality to Princeton classmates and spouses.

Bill is survived by Briony, sons Rufus and Danny, and five grandchildren, to whom the class offers support and sympathy.

The Class of 1957



Jim died at his home in Bonita Springs, Fla., Oct. 20, 2004. He fell ill while playing golf and died shortly thereafter.

Jim graduated from high school in Xenia, Ohio. At Princeton he participated in 150-pound football, joined Cannon Club, and roomed with Gordon Mackenzie, George Reindel, and Bill Ridgway in Holder Hall his junior year. Senior year Jim was part of the Rockefeller Suite, the “18th club” located in the second entry of Walker Hall, and shared good times there with roommates Brecknitz, Bartlett, Farr, Kyle, Mann, McCleary, Macllvaine, G. Mackenzie, Olson, Reitz, Seely, Tangney, and Ridgway.

After Princeton, Jim spent three years in the Navy, reaching the rank of lieutenant. He began his career in finance by joining Bankers Trust Co. in 1961. He then went on to the New York Stock Exchange as an independent floor broker until his retirement in 1995. Jim loved the excitement of stock

trading. Frequently he would play high-stakes backgammon before and after the trading day, when the screaming and shouting of the trading floor was insufficient to match his needs.

Jim was married four times, and by all accounts seemed content in his later years. He is survived by his wife, Carol; sons James Jr. and Philip from his first marriage and their wives, Laura and Kirsten; and six grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be sent to the Princeton ’57 Classmates Fund. The class sends sincere sympathy to Jim’s family.

The Class of 1957



Stan, of St. Michaels, Md., died Sept. 4, 2004, after battling brain cancer for nearly a year.

Known to his classmates as “Shag,” he came to Princeton from Tarrytown, N.Y., and graduated in 1961 (although 1960 classmates claim him for their graduating class). He was a starting guard on the 1959 and 1960 varsity football teams and president of Cannon Club.

While at Princeton, he met Linda Bailey, to whom he was married from 1961-98. They had three children, Scott, James, and Gregory.

Stan was an electrical engineer who worked for Delta Electric in White Plains, N.Y., then John Doris International in NYC and Puerto Rico. Much of his career was spent with Fischbach & Moore in Boston and Dallas. More recently, he started an electrical contracting subsidiary of Morrison Knudsen. He retired a few years ago, but continued to do consulting.

Stan enjoyed football, golf, and outdoor sports. But his passion was cruising and racing his 40-foot sailboat, Lion’s Pride, with friends and family out of Castine, Maine, Buzzards Bay, Mass., the Chesapeake Bay, and the Virgin Islands. His many friends, loved ones, and family will miss him sorely. He is survived by his sons; a grandson; a granddaughter; his beloved sister, June; his half-sister, Catherine “Sis”; and his companion, Lois Donahue.

The Class of 1960



Roland died peacefully in Norman, Okla., July 16, 2003, after a long battle with brain cancer. He was 60.

Born in Quincy, Ill., Roland graduated from Rossford High School in Toledo, Ohio. He had fond memories of his early years in Illinois, naming his son Quincy and remaining a lifelong St. Louis Cardinals fan. At Princeton, Roland majored in chemistry, was a member of Terrace Club, and played tuba in the orchestra, the concert band, and the marching band. After graduating magna cum laude, Roland earned a Ph.D. in organic chemistry at Harvard.

In 1968, Roland joined the faculty of the University of Oklahoma, pursuing a career in synthetic organic chemistry. He was a highly respected teacher and scientist who served at various times as interim chair of the chemistry department and acting dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. He was an avid golfer, liked backpacking, and enjoyed spending time at the family cabin in Canada.

Roland attended several reunions, the last of which was in 2000, the year of his daughter Amy’s Princeton graduation. He was planning to attend our 40th. Roland was divorced in 1996. To Quincy and Amy; and Roland’s sisters Linda Eyer, Susan Lehr, and Sara Corry, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1964



Marty died Sept. 5, 2004, in Skokie, Ill., after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage. He was 60.

Marty was the son of Frederick Martin Belmore, who helped develop the atomic bomb and was director of the Atomic Energy Commission. A graduate of Webster Groves High School in Missouri, Marty majored in economics at Princeton, rowed freshman crew, and was a member of Elm Club, the flying club, and the Orange Key Society.

After Princeton, Marty studied politics, philosophy, and economics at University College at Oxford, graduated from Harvard Law School, and earned a master’s in taxation from New York University. He spent most of his career with the international law firm of Mayer, Brown, serving as an international tax specialist in the firm’s Chicago home office until his retirement in 1999.

Marty was devoted to public transportation. He never owned an automobile, relying on public transportation, his feet, and, on rare occasions, a taxi. Over the years he served on numerous Chicago commissions concerned with transportation issues.

Our class extends its condolences to his wife, Suzanne.

The Class of 1966



Dan died Oct. 28, 2004, in Dallas, from complications following heart surgery.

At Princeton, Dan majored in history, was a member of Campus Club, and served as managing editor of the Daily Princetonian. One of his notable achievements at the newspaper was securing an interview with George Kennan ’25. The interview was featured in Princeton’s recent centenary exhibit on Kennan’s career.

Following Princeton, Dan graduated from the University of Virginia Law School and later received a master’s in taxation from New York University. Dan spent his career practicing real-estate law in Dallas, most recently with Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld. He also had an avid interest in classical music and will be remembered by all who knew him for his keen and lively intelligence mixed with humor, and an appreciation of the absurd.

Dan’s marriage to Carol Ann Rice Winterbottom ended in divorce. He is survived by his son, Brant; his daughter, Lena Winterbottom Brandenburg; two grandchildren; and his sister, Linda Allen. To each of them, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1966


Graduate Alumni


Ludwig Rebenfeld, chemist and alumni volunteer, died in Princeton May 26, 2004, after a brief illness.

Hailing from the Czech Republic, Ludwig earned a bachelor’s in chemistry from the University of Massachusetts in Lowell and a Ph.D. in chemistry from Princeton.

For more than 50 years he worked in various capacities for TRI/Princeton (formerly Textile Research Institute) as director and president and, at the time of his death, as editor of the Textile Research Journal. From 1964 until his retirement, Ludwig was also a visiting lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Princeton. He advised a number of graduate dissertations, and taught a graduate course that exposed students to the technology and science of textile fibers. A widely respected textile scientist, Ludwig received many awards and honors throughout his career, including an honorary doctorate of textile science from Philadelphia College of Textiles and Sciences in 1980.

Over the years Ludwig generously gave volunteer time and attention to Princeton, sitting on the Alumni Council and presiding as president of the Association of Princeton Graduate Alumni from 1981-83.

Preceded in death by his wife, Ellen, Ludwig has no immediate survivors.



Arthur Norman Tuttle Jr., an architect and engineer, died Feb. 11, 2004, at his home in Norman, Okla. He was 73.

Arthur earned a master’s in architecture from Princeton after serving in Korea in the Army Corps of Engineers. He remained active in the Army Reserve, and served as director of planning for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and then as director of Architectural Engineering Services at the University of Oklahoma.

He was predeceased by his first wife, Betty. He leaves his second wife, Barbara; two sons; a stepdaughter; and six grandchildren.



Timothy N. Gantz *70, eminent scholar of the early Greeks and Romans, died of heart failure Jan. 20, 2004, in Athens, Ga. He was 58.

Best known for his book Early Greek Myth: A Guide to Literary and Artistic Sources, Timothy began his love affair with classics in 1966 when, as an undergraduate at Haverford, he participated in the Bryn Mawr College Excavations at Murlo, an important archaeological site in Tuscany. Smitten, he earned a Ph.D. in classics at Princeton and joined the faculty at the University of Georgia, where he pursued wide-ranging interests from early Greek poetry and mythology to the archaeology of early Rome.

An inspiring classics teacher, for many years Timothy directed a study-abroad program in Rome, infusing students with his passion for all things Italian, including cuisine, opera, and art. In addition to his lifelong work on Aeschylus, Timothy was, at the time of his death, engaged in study of the constellations of Ovid’s Metamorphoses. No mere armchair scholar, he charted the same stars from his own backyard, linking present experience to the past.

Timothy leaves behind his wife, Elena Bianchelli, and his son, Tavish.


HARRY H. HUBBELL Jr. *47, Physics, Sept. 10, 2004

JOHN M. RAUSCH Jr. *49, Chemical Engineering, July 18, 2003

JOACHIM B. EHRMAN *54, Physics, April 18, 2004

Robert W. Gloyn *67, Geology, Sept. 6, 2004

This issue has an undergraduate memorial for John Coddington McMurray ’48 *52.

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary