Have an opinion about this issue of PAW?

Please take a minute to click here and fill out our online questionnaire.

It’s an easy way to let the editors know what you like and dislike, and how you think PAW might do better. (All responses will be kept anonymous.)


March 23, 2005: Memorials


DuBois died Jan. 12, 2005. He was born in Kuling, China, the son of Alice Buell and DuBois Morris.

DuBois was dedicated to helping people and bringing them together. He was a member of the Oxford Group (aka Moral Re-Armament). He was a journalist who wrote for many newspapers. He later went on to work for the Conference Board and the Council for Financial Aid to Education.

He is survived by his wife, Mary, five children, 10 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. DuBois was a man we will always admire and respect.

The Class of 1933


Frank, of Haverford, Pa., died Oct. 27, 2004, following a brief illness.

Frank was born in Philadelphia and came to Princeton from Penn Charter. At Princeton, he majored in the School of Public and International Affairs and was a member of Colonial Club.

After graduation, he obtained a law degree at the University of Pennsylvania. Frank worked for the FBI from 1942-46 and then returned to Philadelphia to join his father’s law practice, where he worked until the time of his death.

Frank remained loyal to the class and served as class treasurer from 1959-64. He was active in many civic organizations and clubs in Philadelphia, particularly the Princeton Club of Philadelphia, and was well known in Philadelphia as a trusted lawyer, an impeccable dresser, and a true gentleman.

Frank married Barbara in 1967 and she survives him, along with his son and law partner, F. Scott Donahue ’92, and his daughter, Allaire Donahue.

The Class of 1939


Rolo died Jan. 13, 2005, of complications from heart disease. He was 83.

A native of Birmingham, Ala., he ultimately earned three degrees, including his doctorate, from Princeton. In 1943, Rolo interrupted his studies to serve as an Army officer in World War II. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was awarded the Bronze Star. Postwar, he joined the faculty of Emory University in Atlanta, later taking a post as research professor in residence at the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C. He resumed his teaching career at the University of Pennsylvania in 1965, and remained there, as Schelling Professor of English Literature, until his retirement in 1983. Rolo wrote 10 books and hundreds of scholarly articles. He combined his expertise in literature, theology, and art history to produce thought-provoking themes ranging from imagery in the works of John Milton to creationism.

Rolo is survived by his wife of 58 years, Jean Steiner Frye; a son, Roland M. Jr.; and one grandson. To the entire family, we offer our deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

The Class of 1943


Fran, who switched careers early from chemical engineering to have 30 successful years in medical radiology, died Jan. 27, 2005, after a two-year illness in La Canada, Calif.

Fran was the son of Francis B. Critchlow 1910. He prepared at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles, where he was active in ROTC, the honor society, and student council. At Princeton, he played freshman football and was treasurer of the University Press Club. He was a member of Whig-Clio and Cannon Club, roomed with John Kerrigan and Pete Hazelwood, and earned an engineering degree in 1943. He served three years in the Navy, including 16 months as a radar officer in the Pacific.

After working briefly with Monsanto on the A-bomb, he turned to medicine, earning a medical degree at the University of Southern California in 1953. He became a senior partner in a leading Southern California radiology group. He also was an avid amateur radio operator. In retirement, he and his wife, Marion (“Cissy”), traveled the world’s continents. They attended Reunions regularly, joined often by Tom Sowden ’44 and his wife for post-reunion excursions.

Fran is survived by Cissy; two sons, Jonathan F. and David N.; a daughter, Barbara C. Leigh ’76; and a brother, John B. Critchlow. Our sincere condolences go to all.

The Class of 1944


“It’s been a great journey,” wrote Pete about his life in our 60th reunion book. He died of colon cancer in Fairhope, Ala., Oct. 13, 2004. He was 83.

Born in Bronxville, N.Y., Pete prepped at the old Pawling Boys School, where he was president of his senior class. At Princeton he roomed with Stretch Gardiner for two years, majored in geology, competed in 150-pound football and crew, was a member of the Varsity Club and manager of Elm Club, and graduated in 1943. He married Martha Jane “Marty” Varley, and then served as a first lieutenant and Marine platoon leader in the Pacific.

He reveled in spending 40 years — until he was 75 — in exploration geology across four continents and 30 nations. He was the state geologist for Alabama before spending the rest of his career with Vulcan Materials Co. of Birmingham. He developed Vulcan’s Mexican operations, including the only deep-water port in the Yucatan. In retirement, Pete was a founder of a low-cost primary health care facility for Hispanic workers and active on his area’s environmental advisory board.

He is survived by Marty, his wife of more than 60 years, son William, and grandson William Varley, to whom we extend our condolences.

The Class of 1944


Stan died Nov. 27, 2004, at home in Sharon, Conn.

Born in Short Hills, N.J., he entered Princeton in 1942 to study engineering but left for the Navy’s V-12 program at Cornell University in 1943, graduating from there in 1945. After an initial job with Pan American Airways, he began his career as a banker with Chemical Bank of New York and American National in Hamden, Conn. He retired in 1990.

Stan served the class in the 1950s as a regional schools committeeman. His first wife, Betty Haffner, bore him three sons, William, Hugh, and Douglas. He married again in 1968 to Joan Reynolds. The class mourns the loss of a loyal member and extends sympathy to his surviving widow and family.

The Class of 1946


Stumpf was Stumpf. He had no equal, in any sense of the word. Crusty. Fiery. A self-ordained curmudgeon. In the summer of ’42, he joined us from Kent School, where oarsmen had discovered the meanings of “pull” and “leg drive” under orders barked by coxswain Stumpf.

Rejected by the military, Stumpf joined the American Field Service and drove ambulances that, lurching down Italian mountainsides, soaked his ankles in the blood of his wounded passengers. Back on campus, he joined Cap and Gown, the Daily Princetonian, and Triangle, and never failed to let us know he had the courage of his convictions.

Next, he studied animal husbandry at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and took charge of the registered Angus cattle business on his family’s farm in Rapidan, Va., supervising herd after herd of prime beefsteak. He and Virginian Lucy Slaughter married in 1952; she died several years ago. Son Sandy (A.T.S. Jr.) survives.

The Virginia Angus Hall of Merit inducted Stumpf in 1989. It must have known, as ’46 knew, that, until he died Dec. 18, 2004, in Orange, Va., if you wanted a good friend whose strong opinions were vigorously expressed, Stumpf was your man. Down to the last class member, we shall miss him.

The Class of 1946


Bob joined our class from Hotchkiss, dined at Cottage, pitched varsity baseball, and died Jan. 26, 2005.

Bob lived an eventful life and will be sorely missed by his many friends and admirers. Wayne, Pa., was home for many years. Bob was a phenomenon. He was one of Princeton’s all-time great pitchers despite a camping accident at an early age that left him blind in one eye. He pitched four shutouts in Big 3 competition, won the Coach’s Cup and the Frederick W. Kafer Cup (twice). He accomplished all this with a glass left eye.

Bob’s career was in metals and mining until his retirement in 1994. He served in the Philadelphia area as chairman of Lukens Steel and was involved with International Utilities. He was a director of the National Association of Manufacturers. He served with the American Field Service in India in 1944-45. He was a stalwart of our major reunions.

Our condolences to Peggy, his wife of 55 years, and daughters Allyn and Anne are heartfelt. Bob was predeceased by sons Christopher ’78 and Douglas. He was an enthusiastic Princetonian and classmate.

The Class of 1948


Art died during a business trip Oct. 22, 2004.

Born in Milwaukee, he graduated from Mercersburg Academy. At Princeton, Art belonged to Key and Seal and majored in economics. In 1953 he earned multiple degrees in accounting, finance, and law from Wisconsin.

He moved to Florida, where he was involved in commercial development. “Hitting it big” at Cape Canaveral, Art retired in 1962, but the lure of business soon beckoned. Unfortunately, his venture to become the biggest Christmas tree grower in the Midwest failed. In 1967, he literally started over and hit the road, working in sales for a company that later became Namco Tel-A-Cover. By 1973, he was its president and living in Massachusetts.

Art was the consummate entrepreneur and the prototype road warrior. His work ethic often led to 14- to 18-hour days. At his death, he was still leading Namco, which he described as “a (successful) little company that sells ads to appear on a piece of plastic (phone book cover).”

He had a passion for outdoor adventures, and reveled in hunting and fishing junkets with his sons and friends.

We will miss Art, a unique and colorful classmate, and extend our sympathy to Jeanie, his wife of 32 years; children

Arthur, Alden, Aaron, and Alyssa; and three grandchildren.

The Class of 1950


George, of Sea Island, Ga., died in nearby Brunswick Nov. 29, 2004, after a long bout with cancer.

He graduated from the McCallie School in Chattanooga. At Princeton he majored in psychology and was a member of Tower Club. George briefly worked for his family’s coal-mining business in his hometown, Bluefield, W.Va., before serving two years as an Air Force lieutenant during the Korean conflict. He then returned to Bluefield and the coal-mining business, which covered Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky. His closely held company was sold in 1981.

At the time of his retirement, George was president and CEO of the Sovereign Coal Group of Bluefield, and served on corporate, charitable, and church boards.

George and his first wife, Jean, who died in 1993, made their Sea Island vacation home a permanent residence in 1990. There he became an active church member. He was an enthusiastic golfer who enjoyed the game both on Sea Island, and in Manchester, Vt., where he spent summer months.

To his wife, Rosemary, whom he married in 1996, and son Wade, we extend our sympathy.

The Class of 1950


Dave died March 24, 2004, in his Chicago home, of complications from emphysema. Our BOH cites Dave as our class’s first standout — by virtue of his election to the permanent chairmanship of our freshman council — and a standout he remained throughout his rich life.

Born in Evanston, Ill., he entered Princeton from Lyons Township High School. He served with distinction on our freshman and senior councils, and was executive editor and editorial chairman of the Prince. While compiling a sterling SPIA record, he was recruited by the CIA and ultimately oversaw covert operations in Austria. After four years with the agency, however, he decided the spy business was not his calling, partly because he could not discuss his work with anyone. From government service he went on to Stanford Law School and a distinguished career as a partner with Shiff, Hardin, and Waite in Chicago, specializing in financial law.

Dave enjoyed fishing and camping with his family, and volunteered as a Sunday school teacher and member of the Barrington [Ill.] Board of Education. Muscular degeneration forced his retirement in 1991, but did not compromise his unfailing, bright, generous, indomitable spirit.

To his beloved wife, Gwen, his children, stepchildren, and eight grandchildren, the class extends heartfelt sympathy.

The Class of 1952


Vince died June 5, 2004, after a long and difficult battle with cancer.

Born in Ashtabula, Ohio, he entered Princeton from Shaw High School. At Princeton he was a spirited member of SPIA, Tiger Inn, and the Flying Club. It was in the Flying Club that he found his calling.

In our 40th reunion book he wrote tellingly, “The Princeton Flying Club turned out to be my undoing.” Vince loved flying. After flying the world over for the Navy, he flew corporate aircraft, primarily for Diamond Shamrock out of Lost Nation Airport in Willoughby, Ohio.

When he retired in 1987 after 17,000 hours of piloting planes as varied as Navy mine-laying patrol planes, prop-jet Gulfstreams, and Boeing 727s, he reported that he still had the flying bug. His other enthusiasms included managing investments, and extensive jogging and swimming.

Vince’s greatest love, however, was for his family and elder son, Daniel, who predeceased him. His survivors include his wife of more than 40 years, Maureen, and his children, Brian and Marie Barrett Stein. To them, the class extends its deepest condolences.

The Class of 1952


Sam, known and revered as “Mr. Irish Wolfhound,” died of pneumonia Feb. 1, 2004, in Philadelphia.

Born in Bryn Mawr, Pa., Sam prepared at Haverford School, and at Princeton was an SPIA major and member of Ivy Club. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Law and was a partner and owner of Ewing and Ewing, a small law office in West Chester, Pa., from 1955-98.

It was his avocation of breeding, showing, and judging Irish wolfhounds that brought Sam international renown. He began breeding Irish wolfhounds in the 1950s, and throughout five decades, dogs bred in his Eagle Farms Kennel in Chester Springs, Pa., amassed hundreds of championship titles. He owned or co-owned the best of breed at the Irish Wolfhound Club of America’s National Specialty Show five times, and in 1975 he handled the first Irish wolfhound to win the hound group at the Westminster Kennel Club Show in New York. He was president of the Irish Wolfhound Club of America and an officer in the Kennel Club of Philadelphia and Bryn Mawr Kennel Club. More than a dozen Irish wolfhounds were part of the procession to his grave.

Sam is survived by three brothers, a sister, and his companion, Samuel Houston McDonald. To them, the class extends profound sympathy.

The Class of 1952


Wally died suddenly Feb. 29, 2004, in Palm Desert, Calif. He had just been diagnosed with leukemia and had begun chemotherapy. He was 73.

Wally came to Princeton from Woodmere Academy on Long Island, along with Roger Berlind, his roommate all four years. He majored in psychology and was a member of Tower Club. After graduation Wally served in the Army and was discharged as a first lieutenant. He worked briefly on Wall Street before moving to Minneapolis in 1955. He owned a variety of small businesses in Minnesota over the next 40 years.

Wally’s passions were golf and fishing, and for many years he spent winters on the links in Palm Desert and summers on the waters of Puget Sound. His memorial service in Palm Desert was attended by many classmates, including Berlind, Christensen, Dosdall, Gardner, Lowry, Master, and Mueller.

Wally was predeceased by his first wife, Donna, and son Richard. He is survived by his son, Stephen, stepchildren Joel Ljungkull and Sara Wrankle, and his wife, Tamara. To them, the class extends its deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1952


Rip, a retired professor from the Department of Foreign Languages at Auburn University, died Nov. 16, 2003, of colon cancer. Rip graduated from Princeton cum laude in French and English. He spent his junior year in Paris. As a National Endowment for the Humanities fellow, he earned a master’s and a doctorate in the humanities in French studies from Brown University in 1965 and 1966, respectively. He taught at Phillips Academy Andover, Williams College, Emory University, and Western Michigan University before arriving at Auburn University as head of the Department of Foreign Languages in 1979. Rip published extensively on the work of the 20th-century avant-garde French novelist Robert Pinget, gaining international recognition. He served on numerous evaluation committees of research projects for the National Endowment for the Humanities and was active in the Advanced Placement examination in French for secondary school students. He was a devoted teacher and worked closely with students like Sarah-Jane Murray, who was honored with a Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship in 2003, the highest award given to graduate students at Princeton. He is survived by his wife, Wickham Taylor Henkels; his daughter, Karin
Henkels; his grandsons, Titonan and Gabriel; and his granddaughter, Zoelie.

The Class of 1962


Howie died Feb. 9, 2005, of leukemia in Miami.

He lived in Plainfield, N.J., and in Rochester and Syosset, N.Y., while growing up. He majored in economics at Princeton and participated in the NROTC program before joining the Navy as an officer. While serving on nuclear submarines, Howie developed a lifelong love of travel to exotic places and met his wife, Vivian, who survives him after 36 years of marriage.

After the Navy he joined Ryder Truck Rental and was a marketing manager for 18 years before founding his own marketing-research business, which he ran until just before his death. He and Vivian shared an abiding interest in and knowledge of tropical plants, especially palms. His yard was filled with mature trees and small palms he had grown from seeds. He was active in the International Palm Society, having recently served as treasurer, and was a longtime volunteer at the Fairchild Tropical Garden in Miami, where his memorial service was held.

Howie was predeceased by his brother, John H. II ’50, and is survived by Vivian and two sisters, Annabeth McCorkle and Susan Neal. The class extends its condolences to them on the loss of our classmate.

The Class of 1965


Judy died of cancer Dec. 27, 2004, in Boston.

Judy entered Princeton in 1969 with the first class of women, the Class of ’73. She took a year off between junior and senior year and graduated with highest honors in 1974, receiving the art and archaeology department’s senior thesis prize.

She met Richard “Dick” Shaw ’72 in the summer after her freshman year, and they were married by religion professor Horton Davies in June 1972, two days before Dick’s graduation. They lived for three years at George School in Newtown, Pa., where Dick taught math and their daughter, Caitlin ’97, was born. Judy then entered Yale Law School and graduated in 1980, an event followed by the birth of son Samuel four weeks later.

Judy practiced law in Boston, Keene, N.H., and Hartford, Conn., before retiring shortly after her cancer diagnosis. For 15 years she studied cancer research, and assisted her oncologists in selecting her chemotherapy and clinical trials. Assisted by her many friends, she supported others with cancer by supplying information and advice, and by sharing her optimism. At the same time, she wrote two novels, raised chickens and ducks, and maintained a large organic garden.

All who knew her will miss her great warmth, wit, and extraordinary intellect.

In addition to her husband and two children, Judy is survived by her sister, Joan Selverstone Clark *71; brother Peter Selverstone; father-in-law Henry Shaw ’35, and many aunts, uncles, and cousins, including Jane Selverstone ’78.

The Class of 1974


Susan lost a 16-month battle with lung cancer May 17, 2003. When discovered, the disease had already metastasized to her brain, ultimately causing Alzheimer’s-like symptoms. She died at home, surrounded by her family.

After attending Liberty High School in Bethlehem, Pa., Susan majored in English at Princeton, then obtained a master’s from Temple University. English literature was a lifelong love, even in the final stages of her debilitating illness.

Susan began her career in market research and, after Temple, joined American Express, where she rose to account manager. She helped several co-workers overcome personal problems, and after her death, family members said they experienced an outpouring of sympathy from American Express unlike anything they’d ever known. Several hundred people attended her funeral.

Susan was even more devoted to her husband, Bill Hahn, and their children. Their relationship was a rare, true-love marriage. Engaged six weeks after they met, they were never apart for the next 16 years, until her death.

Lynn Wendell ’77 admiringly described her sister as the “smartest of her siblings.” This writer will always remember her delicious, unconventional sense of humor.

In addition to her husband and sister, Susan is survived by her two children, four brothers, and her parents.

The Class of 1980

Graduate Alumni


Norman F. Cantor, 74, a prominent historian of the Middle Ages, died Sept. 18, 2004, in Miami. The cause was heart failure.

A master of fluent, graceful prose, Norman’s books included The Civilization of the Middle Ages, continuously in print since 1963. Other studies focused on Jewish history, the Black Death, and the invention of the Middle Ages as it is conceived today by modern historians. Among these, he cited J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, whose visions of medieval moral order served as a beacon during the dark days of World War II.

Born in Winnipeg, Canada, Norman graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1951. He then came to Princeton to earn a master’s in history. After a year at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar, he returned to Princeton to earn a Ph.D. Over the course of his career, he taught at Columbia, Brandeis, SUNY Binghamton, and the University of Chicago. He served as dean of the faculty of the College of Arts and Science at New York University from 1978-81, retiring as professor emeritus in 1999.

Norman is survived by his wife, Mindy; his daughter, Judy; his son, Howard; and a grandson.

end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary