March 5, 2008: Memorials

William T. Osborne ’36

Bill died July 28, 2007, at The Hermitage at Cedarfield in Richmond, Va. He was 93.

Bill graduated from Deerfield Academy. At Princeton he was a member of Campus Club. After college, he attended Yale Law School.

During World War II, Bill served four years in the Army in the European theater, rising to lieutenant colonel and earning a Bronze Star.

In 1980 he retired from the Jersey Central Power and Light Co., where he was a senior corporate counselor. He served on the Chatham (N.J.) Borough Council and the planning board. He was a member of the New Jersey and Morris County bar associations and was a volunteer for Meals on Wheels. He enjoyed sailing off the Maine coast.

Bill was predeceased by his first wife of 23 years, Janet MacKay Osborne; his daughter, Jean B. Osborne; and his brothers, John and Henry. He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Bettie Anne Ginn Osborne; daughters Elizabeth O. Bond and Louise O. Haedt; stepdaughters Pamela P. McElrath and Susan P. Powell; and seven grandchildren. We indeed will miss Bill.

The Class of 1936

Henry A. duFlon ’37

Hank died July 7, 2007, in Antigua, Guatemala.

He was born in New Rochelle, N.Y., and graduated from the Berkshire School in Sheffield, Mass. At Princeton he majored in economics, was on the track team, and was editor of The Dink. He also belonged to the Varsity Club and Campus Club.

Hank entered the Army in 1941 as a private and rose to the rank of major in five years. Other periods of his government service included assignments at the White House and Defense Department under President Eisenhower and assignments at the State Department and the Agency for International Development (AID) under President Kennedy.

In 1945, Hank married Barbara Van Clief and became assistant manpower director for the Bigelow-Sanford Carpet Co. He later served as consultant with McKinsey & Co. and became director of the McKinsey Foundation for Management Research. He also headed his own consulting business in Guatemala.

Hank developed four citrus groves in Florida, and years later he bought and restored an old monastery in Antigua, which was his Latin-American base. He was listed in Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in Industry and Finance.

We will miss Hank and remember him as a loyal classmate. To his family and friends, the class sends its sympathy.

The Class of 1937

Robert Henry Johnston ’37

Bob Johnston died June 12, 2007.

He was born in Philadelphia and prepared at Overbrook High School, where he was active in student government and dramatics.

At Princeton he majored in biology, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and graduated with high honors. He was a member of Dial Lodge.

After Princeton, Bob entered the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and did an internship at the Germantown Dispensary and Hospital. He specialized in diseases of the chest and became chief medical resident at the Delaware County (Pa.) Hospital.

In 1944 he entered the Army and became a captain, serving in France and Germany and working with nine Army Medical Corps hospitals, ending with the Veterans Administration. For his experience in Normandy and the Rhineland he was awarded the Bronze Star. After the war he became medical director of the Haverford Township (Pa.) schools and worked with the Veterans Administration on chest diseases. He also worked with the Pennsylvania Department of Health as a tuberculosis clinician and consultant.

In 1940, Bob married Margaret Riley, and they became the parents of two sons and a daughter and grandparents of six grandsons and four granddaughters. We shall miss this talented classmate, and send our sympathy to his family and friends.

The Class of 1937


Sam died Nov. 20, 2007, at Waverly Heights, a retirement community in Gladwyne, Pa.

Sam grew up in Haverford, Pa., and graduated from the Lawrenceville School. At Princeton he was a member of Elm Club.

While working for Sun Oil Co. in Mississippi, he met his future wife, Edwina Flowers, who predeceased him in 1993. In December 1941, three days after the attack on Pearl Harbor, he was drafted into the Army. He served in the South Pacific and the Philippines and was awarded a Bronze Star. After his discharge, Sam returned to Sunoco, and in 1952 he transferred to its headquarters in Philadelphia. When he retired in 1971, he was head geologist for Sunoco’s operations.

For 15 years Sam was treasurer of the Penny Wise Thrift Shop in Ardmore, Pa. His late wife, Edwina, was chairman of the shop, which benefits Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

Sam is survived by his daughters, Edwina and Anne, and three grandchildren, to all of whom the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938

John S. Green III ’42

John S. Green III, a physician and radiologist, died of carcinoma of the lung Nov. 17, 2007, at his home in Snow Hill, Md.

Jack came to Princeton from Gilman. At college he majored in English and graduated with honors. He played on lacrosse teams (including the 1942 national championship team) and was the first recipient of the Higginbotham Lacrosse Trophy. He also was active in the Student-Faculty Association, the St. Paul’s Society, and Cap and Gown Club.

After college Jack obtained a medical degree from Johns Hopkins Medical School, followed by service in the Navy Medical Corps.

For many years Jack had a radiology practice that included radiation therapy, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. He was twice president of the Maryland Radiological Society and served on several committees of the State Medical Society. In addition he was the highly respected lacrosse coach at the Chestertown (Md.) High School.

He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Linda Green. To her and to their sons John S. IV and Barclay; their daughters, G. Dorsey Green, Judy Scribner, and Melanie Whisner; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild; the class sends its sympathy.

The Class of 1942

Andrew Welsh Imbrie ’42

Andrew Imbrie, a distinguished composer and teacher, died Dec. 5, 2007, at his home in Berkeley, Calif. He was the son of Andrew C. Imbrie 1895 and the grandson and great-grandson of Princeton graduates.

Andy prepared at the Lawrenceville School. At Princeton he came under the influence of composer Roger Sessions. He graduated with highest honors in music and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year. His senior thesis, the first of his five string quartets, won the New York Critics’ Award and was recorded by the Juilliard Quartet.

After Army service as a translator of Japanese, Andy rejoined Sessions as a graduate student at the University of California, Berkeley. He served on its faculty from 1949 until his retirement in 1991. He also taught at Harvard, Brandeis, Northwestern, New York University, the University of Alabama, and the University of Chicago.

He composed works in all of the principal genres, including three symphonies, eight concertos, many songs, sonatas, chamber works, choral compositions, and two operas. One piece, Angle of Repose, commissioned by the San Francisco Opera, received national acclaim. He wrote a requiem to memorialize his son, John ’84. His music has been praised for its profound artistic integrity, ardent expression, intense conviction, and drive.

To his wife, Barbara, and son Andrew Philip ’80, the class sends its sympathy.

The Class of 1942

Maurice Pate Rehm ’42

Bud Rehm died of heart failure Sept. 18, 2007, in Sebring, Fla.

Bud came to Princeton from Watertown (N.Y.) High School. His father, Harold Rehm ’15, an Army colonel, moved the family from one post to another as Bud grew up. An economics major at Princeton, Bud was an outstanding long-distance runner, captain of the cross-country team, and a three-year letterman in track.

After graduation Bud joined the Air Corps, serving as a bomber pilot in the Pacific theater and remaining in the Air Force for 20 years. Assigned as air attaché to the embassy in Holland, he conducted covert operations behind the Iron Curtain at considerable risk to himself. He retired from the Air Force in 1965 as a lieutenant colonel.

For the next 10 years Bud worked as a project manager for Honeywell and then Douglas Aircraft. From 1975 on he immersed himself in a series of independent projects, consistent with his optimistic and freewheeling nature. Bud took great pride in having served his country and in his family, especially his wife, the late June Adams, whom he married in 1942 after a whirlwind courtship, followed by three years apart during the war.

To his sons, Maurice “Rush” ’73 and Robert; his daughter, Vicki Owens; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren; the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1942


A research chemist, Tom died Sept. 16, 2007, of complications from heart surgery at Life Care Hospitals in West Chester, Pa. He was 85.

As a teenager, Tom assisted his chemist father, John, at DuPont Co. and began working in research there in 1947. He helped launch Dacron polyester fiber, plastic pop bottles, and the Lycra spandex fiber used in bathing suits, bras, and girdles, before retiring in 1982.

Tom was born in Swarthmore, Pa., and graduated from Swarthmore High School. At Princeton he was on the Dean’s List for three years, played freshman lacrosse, and was a member of Theatre Intime, the Glee Club, and Tower Club. He accelerated in 1941 and graduated in 1942. During World War II he served in the Navy in the Pacific. After his discharge he earned a doctorate in chemistry from Cornell.

Tom was a Birmingham (Pa.) Township supervisor in the 1970s. He and the former Patricia Dunlevy, whom he married in 1987, sang with the Valley Voices. His first wife, Sidney, died in 1986 after 38 years of marriage. With Sidney he had five children, including Anne M. Woiwode ’75 and the late John Marshall II ’72. Survivors also include two stepchildren and 11 grandchildren.

The Class of 1943


Forrest died Nov. 7, 2007, in Roanoke, Va.

He had homes both in Roanoke and in University Park, Md. He was 85.

Born in Washington, D.C., he prepared at St. Alban’s School. At Princeton, he was active in freshman football and lacrosse, served on the editorial boards of The Daily Princetonian and Bric-a-Brac, was publicity manager for Triangle Club, and was treasurer of Whig-Clio. Forrest majored in history and was a member of Cloister Inn.

He received his bachelor’s degree in 1943, completed officer training at Fort Sill, and served as a first lieutenant and tank commander in Italy, where he was wounded. He followed with a tour of regimental staff duty in Germany.

In 1950, Forrest earned a law degree at Harvard. He wrote in our 40th-reunion book that he then enjoyed “a continuing 26-year relationship with the military as a civilian attorney in the office of the Secretary of Defense” in Washington. He was a retired colonel in the Army Reserve.

Forrest never married. He is survived by his sister, Margaret Holmes Kelley. Our condolences go to her and to Forrest’s many nieces, great-nephews and great-nieces, and one great-great-nephew.

The Class of 1944


Thomas Moore II died Nov. 6, 2007, in Laguna Beach, Calif. He was 84.

Tom entered Princeton in 1942 with eight or 10 of his Kent School classmates, and shortly afterward was shipped off to Cornell and the Far East by the Marine Corps. He returned to Princeton in 1946 and earned a bachelor’s in engineering with high honors in 1949. He was then recalled to Korea and was released as a captain in 1952.

Tom began his engineering career in the oil fields of west Texas, but most of his professional life was spent in the electronics industry at Hughes Aircraft Co. His personal interests included sailing, tennis, and golf. He was an animal lover and raised everything from dogs to pigeons, also finding time to serve as a scoutmaster, baseball coach, and police volunteer.

He is survived by his wife, Charlotte; three sons, Mike, Blake, and Tod; three stepchildren, Jim and Richard Brawner and Beth Winchester; and 14 grandchildren.

The Class of 1946

Daniel P. Haerther ’47

Danny’s loyalty to Princeton and ’47 was unbounded. His death Sept. 13, 2007, constitutes an irreplaceable loss.

He served in the Navy in the Pacific theater during World War II, and overseas for two years in the Korean War.

Graduating in 1948, he began an extraordinarily successful career in various business ventures: leasing railroad freight cars, investment banking, and part ownership of the erstwhile Milwaukee Braves — though Danny was a lifelong Cubs fan.

In 1968 he founded the Semblex Co., which manufactured fasteners. His unique entrepreneurial skills were combined with a relaxed management style, producing unusual employee affection — and $60 million yearly in sales.

Love of wildfowl hunting led him to many exotic foreign places, but regularly to Illinois haunts with his beloved Labradors, Dewar’s I and then II.

He was a regular, generous AG donor; a faithful member of our class executive committee; a frequent attendee at ’47’s minis, and a regular at Reunions. While we paraded wearing the handsome class ties he gave us, Danny always carried a sign proclaiming that he was the “class dummy.” After a severe stroke in May, he struggled, unsuccessfully, to attend our 60th.

Danny never married; his brother, Bill, is his sole, immediate family survivor — but, surely, too, our class was Danny’s special family. We share with Bill a deep sense of loss.

The Class of 1947

David Agnew ’48

Dave died Nov. 12, 2007, at his home in Greenwich, Conn.

He was a graduate of the Buckley School and of Deerfield. At Princeton he played varsity soccer, was in Cottage, and earned a degree in politics. In 1945 he was in Italy with the American Field Service. He was our class treasurer from 1968 to 1973.

Dave’s true passion was conservation. He served for many years as a director of the Greenwich Land Trust, formerly as its president, and most recently as head of the acquisitions committee. A Greenwich resident for nearly 60 years, he was active in town affairs. He served on the board of Greenwich Hospital and was active with the Bruce Museum. Recently, he was re-elected to the representative town meeting.

During his business career he worked at the Greenwich Times, RCA, Diverse Graphics, and Stanwich Investments.

Dave was predeceased by his first wife, Hope, and by his siblings George, Gifford, Charles, and Madeline. He is survived by his wife, Jebb; his children David, Ann, and Lee; and 16 grandchildren. We have lost a man of great warmth and wit.

The Class of 1948

John A. Curtis ’48 *51

Jack died unexpectedly Dec. 5, 2004, at his Cape Cod home.

Jack was born May 14, 1926, in Harbin, Manchuria, and grew up in Tokyo, coming to the United States with his parents shortly before World War II.

Prior to attending Princeton he served with the Army of Occupation in Japan, where he made use of his knowledge of the country and the language. Throughout his life he visited Japan often, working there and collecting arts and crafts.

At Princeton he majored in architecture, graduating with highest honors and staying on to attend the Graduate School. After one year he transferred to MIT for his master’s degree. At Princeton, music department courses inspired his lifelong love of classical music and opera. At MIT, Jack studied architectural acoustics under Professor Robert Newman. This specialty caught his interest and he joined Newman’s firm, Bolt Beranek and Newman. The work was so rewarding that he made it his career, becoming director of architectural acoustics at BBN before he retired in 1986.

Jack endowed a fund at Princeton to encourage international students in architecture.

He is survived by his niece and nephew, Catherine and Daniel Adachi. He will be missed by his many friends worldwide.

The Class of 1948


Charlie died Nov. 14, 2007. He was 84.

He prepared for Princeton at Trenton (N.J.) Central High School. During World War II he served in the Marine Corps as a sergeant and participated in the battle for Iwo Jima. At Princeton he majored in psychology, was on the wrestling and soccer teams, and was a member of Tiger Inn.

Charlie did graduate work at Florida International University. He was on the faculty of Dade County Community College and also worked in the hotel business.

He is survived by his wife, Joan; a daughter, Kim Tabor; and a grandson. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1949


Hal died April 27, 2007, in Boston, Mass., following a long illness.

Hal graduated from Newton (N.J.) High School, where he was valedictorian in 1946. At Princeton, he majored in philosophy and received honorable mention for his thesis in the Dickinson Prize competition. He was a member of the World Federalists, the Mountaineering Club, and Whig-Clio. His study of medicine at Penn was cut short by illness. After a recovery sojourn in California, he came back to New York City and eventually focused on chemistry. After several jobs in the commercial world, he moved to teaching chemistry and physics in Philadelphia-area high schools. He earned a master’s in education administration from Temple University in 1971.

An active member of the Phoenixville (Pa.) Democratic City Committee, Hal was elected to the Phoenixville Borough Council in 1971.

After retiring from teaching, he moved to Massachusetts, where he became an active volunteer for the Massachusetts Citizens for Life, and enjoyed attending the Boston Symphony and English-Speaking Union.

He is survived by his sons, Harry L. Jr. ’83 and Thomas; his daughter, Naomi; former wife, Vera; and two grandchildren; to all of whom we offer our sympathy.

The Class of 1950


Ted was born April 20, 1926, in Confluence Pa., served two and a half years in the Navy Air Corps during World War II, and came to us from Mercersburg Academy.

Ted transferred from Princeton to Franklin and Marshall College and earned a bachelor’s in sociology there in 1951. He married Elaine Just in 1949 and the couple settled down in Uniontown, Pa., to raise their family. For his entire business career, Ted was an independent general-insurance agent doing business as the Fike Insurance Agency of Uniontown.

Over the years, Ted was an elder and trustee of Trinity United Presbyterian Church, a president and lieutenant governor of Kiwanis, a member of the Syria Shrine and the Jaycees, a committeeman for the Republican Party, and president of the Fayette County Easter Seals organization. He was a 60-year member of Laurel Lodge No. 651, F. & A.M.

Ted died April 10, 2007. He is survived by Elaine; their children, Russell, Susan Ritz, Claudia Billings, and Mark; five grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; his brother, Robert; his sister, Nancy Muma; and his cousin, Eugene E. Fike II ’61. We join them in remembering Ted, an outstanding family man and community leader.

The Class of 1951


John died Oct. 18, 2007, in what his New York Times obituary termed “a senseless, tragic” automobile accident. He was killed when he and his wife, Deidre, were driving to a hospital in Claverack, N.Y., to await the birth of her daughter Meredith’s child. We appreciate Joe Bolster ’52 informing us that a car hit the Burrs from behind, their vehicle tumbled down an embankment, and Deidre was critically injured.

John personified ’53 leadership. He was AG chair for three years, head of the 45th reunion (during which Dick Ellwood said John was very effective, making more than 100 personal calls to classmates), and class president from 1983 to 1985. At Princeton he sang in the Glee Club, performed for Triangle, rowed 150-pound crew, and played rugby. As chair of Tiger Inn’s house committee, he partied with actress Linda Christian at one of TI’s renowned social functions. He roomed with fellow Hill School grads Bill Faber and Fred Schock, received a law degree from UVA, and earned a Ph.D. from NYU.

John’s niece, Elizabeth Burr ’86, said a memorial service for John would be held when Deidre, still suffering from head trauma, recovers. We send heartfelt sympathy to them and to John’s children, Laura, Sara, Oliver, and John; his brothers, Peter and David; and stepchildren Elliott and Meredith.

The Class of 1953

Thomas Edward Covell ’54

Tim Covell died Dec. 3, 2007.

He came to Princeton from New Trier High School in Winnetka, Ill. He was active in the Freshman Council and the Chicago Club. Tim left after two years to spend four years in government and military intelligence operations. Afterward he attended Northwestern University, graduating in 1957.

Tim’s business career included executive managerial positions in multiple firms. He served as chaplain for the White Plains/Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship and also served as its president.

He is survived by his wife, Barbara; daughters Katherine and Melissa; and four grandchildren. The class extends its sympathy to them on their loss.

The Class of 1954

James McCutcheon Fox Jr. ’54

Terry Fox died at his home Nov. 8, 2007.

Born in New York City, he attended The Choate School. At Princeton, he was captain of the freshman squash team and remained active on the varsity team thereafter. A member of Colonial Club and ROTC, he majored in economics. He graduated from ROTC as a lieutenant.

After graduation, he served in the Army in Germany for three years. Terry worked for Central Alarm Systems in Freehold, N.J., retiring after 20 years. He was a lifelong resident of Rumson, N.J. The class extends its sympathy to his family in their loss.

The Class of 1954


Blythe died Oct. 13, 2007, at Heritage House Nursing Facility near his home in Plymouth, Pa., after a valiant battle with prostate cancer. Only 10 days before, his beloved wife, Marlette, also died from cancer.

Coming to us from Plymouth (Pa.) High School, Blythe majored in history, was a member of Dial, and marched in the band. Senior year he roomed in Brown with Frank Lovecchio, Jerry Muys, George Kovatch, Robert Davis, John Wells, and his brother Warren ’56.

Blythe practiced law and was involved in community and charitable activities too numerous to list here. His entries in our 45th- and 50th-reunion books provide another glimpse of this talented and accomplished man’s wonderful life. A few of these activities included: president of the Princeton Club of Northeastern Pennsylvania, elder of the Forty Fort (Pa.) Presbyterian Church; colonel in the Pennsylvania National Guard, delegate to the 1989 Republican Convention, and scoutmaster.

Above all, Blythe was a devoted husband to Marlette, and father to son Blythe and daughter Elva. To them, his brother, Warren, and his colleagues and friends, the class extends deepest sympathy.

The Class of 1955

Robert B. Yegge ’56

Robert B. Yegge died Dec. 16, 2006, in Denver.

From 1965 to 1976, he served as dean at the University of Denver Law School, and was dean emeritus since 1977. He established the nationally recognized Law and Society Association and the Law and Society Review. Deeply committed to civil rights, Bob initiated an innovative pilot program in the early 1960s for recruiting Hispanics into law school, funded by the Ford Foundation. The program became a national model.

He served on editorial boards of numerous prestigious professional journals and was a life member of the American Law Institute, a fellow of the American Bar Foundation, and a member of the Henry Luce Foundation Scholars selection committee since 1975. He received many national and international honors and awards.

A respected leader in cultural and civic life, he also was chair of the Colorado Council on the Arts and Humanities, chair of the Mile High Chapter of the American Red Cross, and trustee of the Colorado Prevention Center. He brought Princeton political scientist William H. Beaney, sociologist Wilbert E. Moore, and James E. Wallace of Princeton Theological Seminary to the University of Denver.

Gifted with intellect, integrity, generosity, courage, and vision, Bob, who never married, had a great sense of humor and zest for life.

The Class of 1956

Edward F. Shover ’57

Ed died Oct. 28. 2007.

While at Princeton, Ed majored in geology and roomed with Tom Magill senior year. After graduating he obtained a Ph.D. in geology in 1961 from the University of Illinois. He also served in the Army.

He was employed by Standard Oil Co. of Texas, then by California Research Corp. In 1965 he continued petroleum exploration with Chevron in Louisiana.

Ed remained single and did not return to Princeton. Little is known about his life after graduation.

The Class of 1957


Our Joe, delightful companion, world traveler, educator, and headmaster of the American School in Tangier (AST), Morocco, died June 11, 2007, in Tangier from a heart attack and resulting fall.

Joe came from Point Clear, Ala., and Andover. At Princeton he was in Cottage Club. After the Army, he traveled in South America with John Hopkins ’60 and Harry Rulon-Miller, and then with Hopkins in France and Italy, and, astride their motorcycle White Nile, across North Africa and finally to Morocco and jobs at AST. Joe stayed on, becoming headmaster after three years.

Successful and revered, Joe helped many of his students enter Ivy League schools. He attracted prominent figures in the arts, music, literature, and fashion to AST as speakers and benefactors. He recently opened a branch in Marrakech.

“When we were playing sports, Joe was reading books,” Hopkins remembered in The Paris Review. “An honors student in English, he was nicknamed ‘Rebel,’ not because he came from Alabama, but because he kept a motorcycle hidden off campus, and rode it into New York to see Tennessee Williams’ plays. His dynamic personality and intellectual reputation made him a big man on campus.”

The class extends deepest sympathy to Joe’s brother, Frank, and sister Lynn Meador.

The Class of 1958

Graduate Alumni

David R. Stadler *52

David R. Stadler, emeritus professor of genetics at the University of Washington and longtime peace and anti-war activist, died Feb. 9, 2007, at home, after living five years with lymphoma. He was 81.

Stadler was educated at the University of Missouri and was a World War II veteran. He received a Ph.D. in biology from Princeton in 1952, the same year he joined the University of Washington’s botany department as a geneticist. During more than 50 years of research and teaching at that university, genetics grew from a sub-branch of botany to a discipline of its own, and then to an industry.

Stadler was among the few geneticists who had worked before Watson and Crick discovered the double-helix of DNA. In his last class, he reviewed the history of modern genetics, giving five decades of first-hand recollections of major figures and discoveries.

In a reminiscence written late in his life, Stadler called the university the storehouse of all that is best in people. He had an optimism rooted in an unshakable faith in reason.

He is survived by Anne, his wife of 54 years; their four children; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Elliott D. Mossman *68

Elliott D. Mossman, former chair of the department of Slavic languages at the University of Pennsylvania, died March 16, 2007, at home after a long and courageous battle with cancer. He was 64, and lived in the Princeton area.

Mossman was educated at Wesleyan University and received a Ph.D. in Slavic languages from Princeton in 1968. He was a retired Penn professor who had specialized in Russian literature, particularly in the life and works of Boris Pasternak. Mossman was formerly the editor of the scholarly journal, Slavic Review. At his death, he was completing a book on Tolstoy.

He is survived by his daughter, Ellen L. Mossman, one sister, and three brothers.

This issue has an undergraduate memorial for John A. Curtis ’48 *51. end of article

Current Issue    Online Archives    Printed Issue Archives
Advertising Info    Reader Services    Search    Contact PAW    Your Class Secretary