Memorials: May 8, 1996

Henry Robins '22
Henry Robins died at his home in Mystic, Conn., Feb. 16, 1996. He was 96.
According to our records, he was a bachelor and is survived by a nephew and two nieces. His two brothers, James '21 and Thomas '19, predeceased him. Henry was born Feb. 5, 1900, in Philadelphia. He graduated from Haverford School in 1918. At Princeton he was a member of the Banjo Club, the University Orchestra, and Clio Hall. During WWI, he was a private in SATC. After receiving his degree in government studies, he joined J. P. Morgan & Co. and lived in Paris.
Henry was a professional violinist and viola player during his career and worked for several shipping firms following his career in banking. During WWII, he served with the Merchant Marines on a hospital ship. He retired from the advertising department of Gimbel's stores in 1968 and became active in charitable organizations in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y., where he lived for many years. In the 1972 directory, he reported that he was serving as a chaplain's associate at the Brooklyn House of Detention. He moved from Brooklyn to Mystic 15 years ago and supported charitable organizations and the Episcopal Church. Henry lived a full and varied life.
The Class of 1922

Woodruff J. English '31
Woodruff Jones English, a distinguished member of our class, died Mar. 3, 1996, at Meadow Lakes in Hightstown, N.J. He studied at Pingry, and at Princeton he was active in soccer and lacrosse. He belonged to Clio Hall and Cloister Club.
After receiving his LLB degree from Harvard Law School, he joined the Newark firm of McCarter and English, becoming partner in 1947 and senior partner in 1976. He retired in 1981. He was active in several community organizations and served on the executive committee of the Alumni Council.
Woody was class president from 1971-76. His grandfather and two previous generations dating to 1779 were Princeton graduates, as are four of his five children. He found time for horseback riding, music, sailing, tennis, squash, traveling with family (some with '31) and working the summer-home farm at Liberty Corner, N.J.
He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Carolyn Barton English; sons, Woodruff J. II and Parton C.; three daughters, Virginia E. Sprenkle, Elizabeth C., and Carolyn W.; a brother, Nicholas C.; and nine grandchildren. On Mar. 9 a memorial service was held in celebration of his life, the family participating. The class extends sincere sympathy to his family.
The Class of 1931

Thomas Adamson Fernley Jr. '32
Tom Fernley died Mar. 6, 1996, in Ponte Vedra, Fla., his winter home. He summered in Buck Hills Falls, Penn., where he moved upon retirement.
After he graduated from Princeton, Tom went into the family business of Fernley & Fernley, Inc., in Philadelphia, the oldest trade association management firm in the country. They were the headquarters of a number of trade associations, and Tom was executive secretary or managing director of several important national organizations. In our 25th yearbook he described the underlying purpose of these associations as pooling the views, experiences, and efforts of an industry, so as to produce more economical, efficient, and profitable operations. After his retirement in 1976, he remained a consultant for a number of years.
During WWII, Tom served on advisory committees connected with the War Production Board and the Office of Price Administration, he was also on the Natl. Distribution Council as adviser to the Secretary of Commerce.
In 1934 Tom married Ruth Allen, the mother of his children. She died in 1982. He is survived by his second wife, Helen; three children, Mary Elizabeth Cotton, Ruthanne Sharadin, and Thomas A. III; seven grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. To all of them, the class extends its sincere condolences.
The Class of 1932

John G. Frazer Jr. '37
John Frazer died at home Feb. 18, 1996, of Parkinson's disease. He had a solid Princeton background with his father, uncles, and cousins-all lawyers, judges, and community leaders of Pittsburgh.
Jack prepared at Shady Side and St. Paul's. He majored in history at Princeton and was awarded the Gale F. Johnston Prize in the School of Public and Intl. Affairs. He was a writer on the Daily Princetonian and a member of Elm Club.
After Harvard Law School and practice with the family firm, he was rejected by the draft board due to bad eyesight, but he volunteered as a private and came out a major. His Army Air Force duties landed him in England before being assigned to legal work in the Pentagon. In 1946 he founded the firm of Kirkpatrick & Lockhart in Pittsburgh; and he became its counsel in 1982. As one friend put it, Jack was the only lawyer he knew of who could be both tough and a gentleman. He was a trustee and president of numerous civic and philanthropic organizations.
He is survived by his wife, Barbara; his daughters, Eliza Hood and Barbara Frank; and a grandson, Jack. All our sympathies go to the family.
The Class of 1937

Richard Cushing Bell '46
Dick Bell died Mar. 4, 1996, in New Orleans from liver failure resulting from hepatitis. Dick had recovered from a stroke in 1994 and seemed in fine shape until this hit him in February.
Dick graduated from Northwood School in Lake Placid, N.Y. He served in the Pacific as a Navy ensign. Back at Princeton, Dick won the Lynde Debate Prize in 1947 and headed for Harvard Business School for his MBA. Back in New Orleans, Dick ran the TasteeFreeze franchise and was active in real estate ventures. He was president of many organizations including Goodwill Industries, the Foreign Relations Assn., the Princeton Alumni Assn., and the Louisiana Historical Assn. He was an elder of the St. Charles Ave. Presbyterian Church.
Dick's brother, Bryan '41, in delivering the eulogy recalled Dick's "joie de vivre, sense of humor, high moral integrity, spiritual commitment, and amazing intellect." Dick's sterling character was put to a real test eight years ago when his wife, Phyllis, was murdered.
To his children, Abby Katherine Peirce, Allison, and Stuart; to Dick's brothers, Bryan '41 and Jim '45; his sister Helen Wagner, and their families, we send our deepest sympathy.
We will miss this stalwart friend and loyal Princetonian. We will always remember Dick with great affection.
The Class of 1946

Ronald Burnham Huseth '54
Ron Huseth died of a heart attack Oct. 27, 1995. Ron came to Princeton from Oak Park H.S. and had just returned to Illinois with his wife, Sandra, to attend his 45th high school reunion.
As an undergraduate, Ron majored in politics, played end on the varsity football team, belonged to Cap and Gown Club, and during his senior year roomed in 1879 Hall with Jack Campbell, Don Keller, and Bob Scheetz.
After graduation and Army service in Germany as an intelligence research analyst, Ron began a distinguished career in marketing and human resources. He started with Quaker Oats and spent the past 23 years as a v.p. with Johnson & Johnson.
Ron was always eager to contribute his energy and experience to activities at Princeton. In addition to class and athletic interests, he served as an industry adviser for university planning. He was on the campus frequently in these capacities, and he maintained a close personal relationship with scores of Princetonians.
To his wife, Sandra; his three children, Sue, Mark, and Amy; and his grandson, Bradford, the class extends its most sincere condolences.
Class of 1954

Robert James Kaiser '55
Bob Kaiser died July 15, 1995, in Louisville, Ky. Coming to Princeton from Louisville Male H.S., he rowed on the 150pound crew, played IAA basketball, and joined Key and Seal Club. He married Starr Craig in 1957 and after Northwestern Medical School returned to Louisville for his internship and residency. He also spent a postgraduate year in London and two years as chief of ophthalmology at the Naval Medical Center in New London, Conn. Bob was respected by his colleagues and beloved by his patients, many of whom considered it a high event to visit him.
Bob was a congenial host, who enjoyed his family and friends. "Now don't rush off" was a favorite prescription of his. History, boating, and "Old Nassau" were among his interests. He was a member of the US Power Squadron and enjoyed exploring the Ohio River in his boat. Nine years ago, he and Starr moved to Tartan's Landing, overlooking the boat and the river.
In addition to Starr, he is survived by his mother, Florence Kaiser; sister Florence Lee Wescott, brother James '58, son Robert, daughter Anne KaiserHarryman '82, son-in-law John Harryman '79, and three grandchildren. To all of them, we extend our sympathy.
The Class of 1955

V. I. Wexner '63
V. I. Wexner, a high school teacher in Redding, Calif., died July 1, 1993. He was chairman of the English department at Shasta H.S. He wrote at the time of our 25th reunion that he loved the rural lifestyle in Redding. He took great pleasure in endurance running, gardening, landscaping, folk guitar, and songwriting.
Born in NYC, V. I. went to an experimental high school in Greenwich Village. At Princeton he wrote a novel for his thesis, belonged to the Wilson Society, was on the editorial board of the Nassau Lit, and the academic committee of the Undergraduate Council. He held the Little Prize Scholarship for a senior in the humanities. He roomed with Jerry Missel.
The class sends its sympathy to his wife, Dr. Melicent Whinston '77, son Sage, and daughter Reo.
The Class of 1963