Memorials - October 7, 1998

Ranald G. Dunning '24 *25

Ranald Dunning died July 15, 1998, at Princeton Medical Center. Born Oct. 6, 1902, in Lyndon, Ohio, to Smith G. Dunning 1892 and Agnes Powers, Ran attended St. Mary's H.S. and Mingo H.S., where he was a member of the basketball, football, and track teams. He transferred to Princeton from Washington and Jefferson College in Washington, Pa., in Sept. 1921.

At Princeton he was on the football squad for two years and a member of Clio Hall. After graduation he earned an MA from Princeton in 1925. He became a chemical engineer (earning an MS from MIT in 1926) and worked for Merck for 18 years in Rahway, N.J., and later for Metalwash Co. of East Brunswick. He was a member of the American Chemical Society, Alpha Chi Sigma, and the Nassau Club of Princeton.

Married to the late Harriet Freeman, he is survived by two sons, Bruce G. and Alan S., a sister, Norma D. Farmer, and four grandchildren. He is specially remembered for his ardent support of Princeton throughout the year and especially during Reunions, walking the full P-rade route in 1997. Memorial contributions may be made to the Princeton University Class of 1924 Scholarship Fund, Box 140, Princeton, NJ 08544.

The Class of 1924

John Wilson Ely '27 *33

John Wilson Ely died April 25, 1998. He came to us from Andover, and was a member of the Tiger board and of Tower Club. John roomed with Mitch Posey in Holder Hall. He studied architecture at the graduate school and at the École des Beaux Arts in Fontainbleau, France, acquiring his MFA in 1933.

After graduation he became associated with John & Wilson Ely, his father's firm in Newark, N.J., and with Starret Bros. and Eken Construction Corp. John then changed his career and became an agent for the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. and, later, a staff adjuster with the claims department of the American Life Insurance Co.

He married Mary Cross, and they had two sons, John and Christopher. John was a devoted Christian Scientist and taught at the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Montclair, N.J. He lived in Verona, N.J. The class extends its sympathy to John's survivors.

The Class of 1927

Albion Patterson '27

Word has just been received by the Office of Alumni Records that Albion Patterson died Feb. 14, 1996. Pat prepared at Episcopal Academy. At Princeton he majored in modern languages and was a member of Arbor Inn Club. After graduating Pat lived in Ojai, Calif.

He worked for the technical cooperation programs of A.I.D. and its predecessor agencies in Latin America. Pat retired in 1968 and became interested in the Indian philosopher Krishnamurti. In 1972 he became a trustee of the Krishnamurti Foundation of America and worked on a master index of 35 books by the great teacher.

Pat, twice married, had a son, Philip. The class extends sympathy to Pat's survivors.

The Class of 1927

Davenport Plumer Jr. '28

Davenport Plumer died Mar. 28, 1998. He grew up in Ambler, Pa., and attended Gilman School. At Princeton he majored in history and belonged to Tower Club. Shortly after graduation he married Ann Worthy; they had two children, Davenport III and Virginia Crook. That marriage ended in divorce. In 1942 he married Susan Heist, who survives him. He was an investment banker for 35 years with Fidelity Trust Co. (now First Union), specializing in estate planning. He was an active member of the Princeton Club of Philadelphia.

During WWII, he was in the Field Artillery, stationed in England, France, and Germany. Dav held the rank of lieutenant colonel and was awarded the Bronze Star.

Dav lived for many years in Blue Bell, Pa., in Whitpan Township, where he was on the board of supervisors and the municipal improvement authority, through which the Wissahickon Park in West Ambler was established. In later years he was a strong supporter of the Lycoming House in Germantown, a small retirement home for ladies. He also served on the board of Woods School, a private residential and vocational center for developmentally disabled and brain-injured children.

He was the grandfather of seven and great-grandfather of six. The class expresses its sympathy to his widow and family.

The Class of 1928

George Morton Payne Jr. '30 *33

George Morton Payne Jr. of Mission Hills, Kans., died Apr. 29, 1998, at his home. He was 88.

George was born June 22, 1909, in Kansas City, Mo. A lifelong resident of the community, he attended Pembroke Country Day School and graduated from the Lawrenceville School. After graduation, George also earned a master's from Princeton in 1933. He was a prominent architect who leaves a legacy of his work in the Kansas City area and in other parts of the country. George was an emeritus member of the American Institute of Architects and the recipient of a first-place medal for architectural design from the prestigious Society of Beaux-Arts Architects. He was a member of Mission Hills Country Club.

George was preceded in death by his wife, Barbara, and his brother, Nettleton. He is survived by his daughter Anne, son Morton III and his wife, Libby, and two grandchildren. To his family the class extends sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1930

John William Brittingham '31

Jack, who had a most fulfilling life, died July 7, 1998, in Evanston, Ill., at the Hospice of the North Shore at Evanston Hospital. He was 90, a man with many memories, including a sumptuous birthday party given in his honor some two months before his death on May 29. Where did Jack live? Well, he had a home in Evanston. And he also had one in Orlando. Which one was his home? Take your pick.

Born in Pittsburgh, he graduated from Lawrenceville in 1927 and finished his education at Princeton. During WWII, he served in the Navy with training school and destroyer duty in the Atlantic for three years and was discharged at the end as a lieutenant in the reserves.

In the business world, Jack was unusually successful, being either president, v.p., and/or director of Griffin Wheel Co., Midway Chemical Co., Griffin Steel Foundries, Ltd., and others. In Elk Grove Village he founded Rollex Corp., a manufacturer of aluminum, steel, and vinyl building products. The company also pioneered the concept of aluminum soffit systems, becoming the national leader in this field.

Jack is survived by his wife of 53 years, Betty Jean "Dixie", one son, James, two daughters, Jeanne and Bonnie Krich, and five grandchildren. He was a wonderful guy, and the class extends its sympathy to the entire family.

The Class of 1931

William Clements Young '33

Bill Young died July 14, 1998, in Plymouth, Mass., near his home in Duxbury. Bill and his wife, Peggy, moved there from New Jersey to be near the family summer homes in Manomet.

Bill prepared at Exeter. He joined Elm Club, roomed with Tom Ballantine and Pat Bernuth, and majored in history. In July 1933, Bill and five classmates toured Europe, playing golf in Scotland, and ending in Germany amid Nazi brown shirt parades.

In 1936 Bill joined Public Service Electric & Gas Co. in Newark where he was a financial executive until his retirement in 1976. His civic interests included the Boys Club of Newark, the Newark Red Cross, the Essex County Blood Bank, and the board of education in Verona. He also served on the vestry of St. Lukes Church in Montclair and with the Episcopal Diocese of Newark. Active in Princeton affairs in Montclair and Verona, he belonged to the Montclair Golf Club.

A funloving fellow with no pretensions, Bill enjoyed his friends as they enjoyed him, and participated actively, though quietly, in community affairs.

Bill leaves Peggy, his wife of 58 years, four children (including Peter '62, W. Mason '67, and John '69), nine grandchildren, and five siblings (including George '32 and Tom '37). To the family the class extends its deepest sympathy, sharing the loss of a dear friend.

The Class of 1933

Lindley Welsh Tiers '34 *35

Lin Tiers, a nationally ranked tennis player in the late 1930s and a former executive in the overseas division of Citibank, died July 29, 1998, a few days before his 87th birthday. He was the husband of Sarah "Sally" Morgan Gardner Tiers, whom he married in Singapore in 1957 and who died in 1996.

Lin joined what was then called First Natl. City Bank of N.Y. in 1946, and in subsequent years his posts included Shanghai, Manila, Calcutta, and Singapore. He traveled extensively in southeastern Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Burma) until his tour ended in the 1960s, and he returned to the NYC office.

He and Sally moved to Princeton in 1969 and started spending winters in Vero Beach, Fla., in the early 1980s. In 1992 they moved permanently into a lifecare community in Vero, "trying," as Lin wrote, "to deal with the vagaries of advancing years."

The Class of 1934

Donald Keith Yost '34

Don Yost, a retired Marine Corps brigadier general who in WWII became a fighter ace by downing seven Japanese Zeros in two days of dogfights over Guadalcanal, died Aug. 7, 1998, of respiratory problems and complications from Parkinson's disease. Since his military retirement in 1962, he had lived in central Florida, where, according to the Orlando Sentinel, he was active in retired military organizations, published two small newspapers, and was an early backer of the Orlando Science Center.

In the 1970s Don and his wife, the former Lee Waters (Queens College '39), published La Femme, based in Winter Park. They sold the paper, but later published a monthly newspaper, The Mirror, before selling it several years ago.

In the early 1980s Don served two terms as president of the Orlando Science Center, which last year opened a new $48-million facility. Although ill, Don attended the ceremony. "It really meant a lot to him," Lee said.

To Lee, Don's wife of 42 years, we offer our sincere sympathies. A brother, John '30, died in 1965.

The Class of 1934

Robert William Doyle '35

Bob, also known as Red, died June 23, 1998, at a nursing home in Rhode Island. He was 84. His wife, the former Mary Martha McMillen, had died in 1969. The family had lived in Morristown, N.J., Providence, R.I., and on Martha's Vineyard.

Red came to Princeton from Poly Prep, majored in economics with second group honors, and received a major P as a member of Princeton's first national-champion lacrosse team. He roomed for four years with John Durkee, who died in 1977.

After earning a law degree from Columbia in 1938, Red spent his career with New York Telephone Co., retiring in 1974 as general litigation attorney. During WWII, he served in the Army as a major in the Office of the Judge Advocate General and continued in reserve status after the war. When he retired from business, the family moved to the Vineyard, and he announced that they had become "year-round summer residents." Bob was always a loyal Princetonian, and recently he had made a substantial donation to an endowment for innovation in undergraduate education.

He leaves a son, Robert M., a daughter, Martha Ann Gagnon, and three grandchildren. He will be remembered as a gentle man with a dry wit and devotion to his family. His classmates mourn his death and send most sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1935

John Washburn Hunt '36

Mike, a resident of Wayzata, Minn., and Sanibel, Fla., died May 13, 1998, after a long illness. He graduated from the Blake School in Minneapolis and later he was president of its alumni association. At Princeton he majored in biology and was a member of Cottage Club.

In 1977 he retired as v.p. and trust officer in charge of investments for the Norwest Midland Bank, which he had served for many years.

He was a past commodore of the Minnetonka Yacht Club and the Inland Lakes Yachting Assn. In the early '50s Mike was president of the Princeton Alumni Assn. of the Northwest and for some years served on the Princeton Schools Committee of his area.

His main hobby was sailboat racing. When age prevented active participation in racing, he was a certified senior judge and race officer for the U.S. Yacht Racing Union. He also enjoyed his 28-foot Bertram motorboat. He was a devotee of Big Band music.

Mike was preceded in death by his wife, Marilyn, his daughter Peggy, and his brother W.O. '38. He is survived by son Bob, daughters Sally, Kathy, and Nancy, their spouses, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He was a most friendly individual who loved Princeton and our class. He indeed will be missed.

The Class of 1936

Edwin Daisley Thatcher '36

Ed died Apr. 7, 1998, of cancer. He was 83. A graduate of Brooklyn Friends School, at Princeton he majored in architecture and was a member of Colonial Club. In 1942 he entered the Officer Training School of the Marine Corps.

He opened his own office in NYC in 1947 and was a member of several societies in his field. He spent many years studying ancient methods of heating and ventilating. In 1953 he was awarded a fellowship by the Guggenheim Foundation to help him in his study of ancient Roman methods of radiant heating by means of warm air. Most of his architectural work was in the field of designing commercial and residential buildings.

Ed is survived by his wife, Paula. He will be remembered by his friends and classmates.

The Class of 1936

John R. Crowley '37

World traveler, student of the esoteric, and retired professor, Jack Crowley died July 17, 1998, of lung cancer. He left his wife of 50 years, Grace, and children Elizabeth, Rose, John, and Thomas.

At Princeton, "a fun place to be," Jack majored in classics, was on the tennis and gym teams, and belonged to Theater Intime and Dial Lodge. After teaching and coaching in prep schools, Jack drove an ambulance for the American Field Service in India and Italy.

Jack worked toward a PhD in the philosophy of religion at Columbia. He entered Brockpost College in 1963 as an associate professor of English and spent 20 years there teaching English, the Bible, and mythology. He opposed the Vietnam War as violating the U.N. Charter, founded the Brockport chapter of the United University Professions, started a magazine, Dialogue and Vision -- Journal of Principles and Ideas, founded the Rochester Chapter of Spiritual Frontiers Fellowship, and wrote for its Journal of Religion and Psychical Research.

In retirement he continued to be active on the executive board of the Academy of Religion and Psychical Research, the academic wing of Spiritual Frontiers Fellowship Intl., to "write, write, write," and to speak on spiritual and metaphysical subjects, completing a book just before his death on the reality of these subjects and of his conviction of our continuing life in spirit.

The Class of 1937

Netzer Eugene Luthi '38

Binx Luthi died July 4, 1998, in San Marino, Calif. He was a widower and had no children. Two first cousins, Raymond Luty and Jane Littleton, were his closest surviving relatives.

At Princeton Binx majored in economics and was a member of the Glee Club and of Cloister Inn. After graduation, following in the footsteps of his father, who was passenger agent for the Pennsylvania Railroad, Binx joined the Union Pacific Railroad passenger traffic (sales) department in Chicago. Later, he served that company in Omaha, NYC, Denver, and L.A., where he became general passenger agent. During WWII, his business career was interrupted by military service as an Air Force transportation officer. He attained the rank of major before his discharge in 1945, the year he married MayGordon Latham.

After his retirement in 1977, Binx remained active as deacon and trustee of his local Methodist church, and as a director and president for seven years of the L.A. Travelers' Aid Society. According to a second cousin, Robert Luty, the duty he assumed that he most enjoyed was serving for 21 years as secretary-treasurer of the SKAL Club, an international fraternity of top sales executives in the travel industry. Just shortly before his death, though somewhat infirm, Binx attended a SKAL Club ceremony, celebrating its 50th year, at which he received a standing ovation.

The Class of 1938

Frederic J. Snyder Jr. '38

Fred Snyder never married and had no children, so that the news of his death on Nov. 29, 1996, was delayed in reaching us until recently. He was 81.

Fred prepared for Princeton at St. Benedict's Prep and Pingry. In college he roomed with Dick Pasley and Johnny Hoagland. He was a member of Cannon Club and active in 150-lb. football and interclub sports.

During the years 1941-45 Fred earned his Combat Infantry Badge and wound up a captain with five battle stars on his ETO ribbon. Like his father before him, Fred was president and principal owner of Fiske Brothers Refining Co. in Newark, N.J., a specialty manufacturer of marine and industrial lubricants. Fred was dedicated to his business and to his church but above all to his family, taking personal care of his father, his mother, and his sister Mary during their successive illnesses. Fred lived in Spring Lake and Deal, N.J., with his mother and two sisters. Despite ill health in later years, he continued running Fiske Brothers until the time of his death.

He is survived by his sister Margaret and his brother, Fr. Edward, to whom the class extends its deep sympathy.

The Class of 1938

Seymour Epstein '40

Lifelong Morristown, N.J., resident, community leader, and prominent retailer, Seymour Epstein died May 28, 1998. He was the owner, president, and former board chairman of the Epstein Department Store chain founded by his parents in 1912.

Eppie came to Princeton from Morristown H.S., graduated with honors in politics, roomed with Larry Mead, and was a member of the School of Public and International Affairs. He earned a Harvard Business School MBA in 1942 and was a naval officer from 1942-45.

Eppie was the first president of the United Jewish Federation of Morris and Sussex Counties. He was general campaign chairman of the United Jewish Appeal-Metro West and a member of the Morris County Chamber of Commerce. His community service included commitments to the Morris County Jewish Historical Society and the United Way of Morris County. He was a principal in the campaign for the Jewish Community Center of Greater Morris and Aidekman Family Jewish Community Campus in Whippany, a member of the Jewish Community Center, Metro West board of governors, and a founding member of the First Bank of Morristown, serving on its board for many years.

Surviving Eppie are his wife, Sally, a son, two stepsons, and two grandchildren. '40 forwards its condolences to the entire family. Eppie was a caring individual who contributed generously toward the welfare of his fellow citizens.

The Class of 1940

James Dudley Copeland '41

Jim Copeland died June 25, 1998, of pancreatic cancer, in Chautauqua, N.Y., where he and his wife of 52 years, Barbara, kept a summer home. His closest longtime friend was Alan Clark.

Born in Pittsburgh, Jim majored in economics and was in R.O.T.C. At war he became a Cavalry Unit "2nd louie" but served as a communications instructor, and, as a captain, had the honor of being a part of the first occupation force in Japan where his duty was to seize and destroy all munitions.

After a 36-year career with Dravo Corp. in Pittsburgh, he retired as s.v.p., human resources and planning. In Chautauqua he became vice-chair of the board of trustees, was on the board of the Athenaeum Hotel and the Presbyterian House, and was a dedicated Fund volunteer. In Naples, Fla., his winter home, he served on the first board of the Naples Philharmonic Orchestra.

He is survived by his wife, Barbara, son David, daughter Anne, daughter-in-law Stephanie, and three grandchildren. Another son, James D. Jr. '70, died in 1980. We join the family in missing Jim.

The Class of 1941

Darius Lee Goff '42

Bud died May 9, 1998, in Sanibel, Fla., where he had established winter residence a few years ago. Although a native of Rhode Island, he moved to Bermuda in 1969 and, with his wife, Paula, hosted the class minireunion there in 1989. Despite leaving Princeton after freshman year he was one of our most enthusiastic and loyal classmates.

Having prepared for Princeton at Northwood, Bud stayed long enough to make a host of friends, leaving to enter the business world in Rhode Island. During WWII, he was an instructor in the Army Air Corps for three years. After the war he worked successively as general manager and treasurer of Anchor Edge, Inc., in Providence, general manager of Anco Products, v.p. of Trowbridge, Creamer & Case (advertising), and president/treasurer of Tradewinds Travel Agency, also in Providence. Before selling out his business interests and moving to Bermuda, Bud also served two terms as a representative from the city of Warwick to the Rhode Island General Assembly and then two years as mayor.

To his three sons, Peter, Lyman '65, and Stephen; to his nine grandchildren; and to his companion, Barbara Fales, the class offers its most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942

Perry Slade Innis '42

Slade died July 10, 1998, in San Francisco, where he had lived for many years. He retired from the ministry after 18 years of service and had enjoyed a second career with a local law firm until shortly before his death.

Slade joined the class from Garfield H.S. in Seattle and left before graduation. He spent 31 months in the Navy during WWII, serving in the Pacific theater, with the final rank of lieutenant (jg). After the war, he returned to Seattle and, following a brief career in hardware retailing, earned his BD at Andover, Newton Theological School, before becoming minister of Amicable Congregational Church in Tiverton, R.I.

To his widow, Hilda, and to his daughter, Janet, the class offers its sincere condolences.

The Class of 1942

Carl Fluid Maples '42 *48

Carl died June 22, 1998, in Knoxville, Tenn. He retired in 1990 after a long and distinguished career in architecture.

He prepared for Princeton at Staunton Military Academy, majored in architecture, and graduated with high honors. He spent three and a half years in the American and European theaters, in field artillery, during WWII, receiving the Bronze Star and five battle stars.

Following the war, he earned an MA in fine arts at Princeton in 1948, prior to establishing his own firm, Lindsay & Maples Architects, Inc., in his native Knoxville. Practicing in six counties, he specialized in hospitals and schools and did considerable work for the U. of Tennessee. He also was president of the East Tennessee chapter of the American Institute of Architects. In the commercial sector he reorganized and became chairman of the board of Benco Plastics, a producer of indoor and outdoor plastic signs with national distribution.

Carl is survived by his wife, Mary Louise, sons Carl and David, daughters Mary Ann and Nancy, seven grandchildren, and one great-grandchild, to whom the class extends its most sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1942

Ewart John White Jr. '42

Jack died Apr. 17, 1998, near his home in Small Point, Maine.

A Columbia H.S. graduate, Jack majored in psychology, graduating with honors. He was a member of Sigma Xi and Tiger Inn club. After spending three and a half years during the war in armored field artillery in the European theater, and finishing up as a captain, he entered the textile industry in NYC. Joining Burlington Mills in 1945, he eventually became v.p. of marketing for Klopman Mills. In the late 1960s he helped set up a mill for them in Frosinone, Italy, one of the first mills established abroad by an American textile producer. Based in Paris for 10 years, he led Klopman's European marketing program and was active with the American Cathedral of Paris. A longtime student of Jungian studies at Bowdoin College, he was also a member of the Phippsburg [Maine] Land Trust. After a long career in textiles, Jack retired in 1985 to the house he had built in Maine.

To his widow, Phoebe; to his three sons, Ewart III, Peter, and William; and to his five grandchildren, the class offers its most profound sympathies.

The Class of 1942

Clarence Peabody Mitchell '43

Clarence died July 20, 1998, at his home in West Chester, Pa., of congestive heart failure. He was 77.

He retired from teaching English at Valley Forge Military Academy and College in 1978, after 19 years with the school. Clarence's previous academic and business experience included Chestnut Hill Academy in Philadelphia, Sun Oil Co., and the Pennsylvania Railroad.

A native of NYC, Clarence also lived in Bernardsville, N.J. He graduated from St. Paul's School, Concord, N.H. At Princeton he was a history major and a member of Colonial Club. Among Clarence's undergraduate roommates were George Hoblitzelle, Jim Clements, George Mergenthaler, and Norm Russell. Clarence saw Army service during WWII.

Clarence was a member of St. James Episcopal Church in Downingtown, the Charlestown Township school board, and a volunteer for Meals on Wheels in West Chester.

He is survived by two sisters, Sylvia Mitchell Clark and Marianne A. Olsen. We offer heartfelt sympathies to the members of the family.

The Class of 1943

Addison R. Taylor '44

Addison R. Taylor died May 7, 1998, of cancer, after a long illness. He was 75. He came to us from South Kent School, and roomed with Ted Schulte for four years. At Princeton, he majored in economics and social institutions, was business manager of WPRU, and belonged to Quadrangle Club.

Doc left Princeton in 1943 to join the Air Corps, in which he served until 1946, when he re-entered Princeton and graduated with his AB. He spent several years in business and re-entered the Air Force in 1950 as a captain, serving in radar control.

After discharge, Doc started a career in electronics, specializing in audio recording. His first venture was with Steve Lamb when they formed a company involved in special magnetic recording. Later, he joined Mohawk Business Machines, becoming secretary and a director. He moved to California in 1967 with MacKenzie Laboratories and retired in 1991 when he sold the business.

To his wife, Patricia, to whom he was married in 1943, his son Bruce, and his daughter Petrie, the class extends its sympathy.

The Class of 1944

Robert Wilson Wigton Jr. '45

Bob Wigton died May 2, 1998, a resident of Bryn Mawr, Pa. Bob was so loyal a class member that one would have thought he resided in Princeton, since he never failed to appear, with wife Dixie, at all class functions on the campus. Bob entered Princeton from Gilman, the son of Robert W. '12. His Princeton career was interrupted by service with Army chemical warfare in both Europe and the Pacific. He saw combat and received the Bronze Star. Upon returning to Princeton he received his degree in 1946 and the next year married the former Dixie Good. Bob was first with the Morrisdale Coal Mining Co. but for more than 30 years was president of the Baltic Coal Co. in Stratford, Pa. Bob and Dixie, who were able to celebrate more than 50 years of marriage prior to his death, had a daughter, Elizabeth Wigton Brewer.

Wig is survived by Dixie and Elizabeth and by a sister, Louise Davison, and two grandchildren. The class will miss this loyal classmate, as we extend our sympathy to the family.

The Class of 1945

Edwin Chandler Paul '46

Captain Edwin C. Paul, USN (CEC) Ret., died Mar. 2, 1998, of pneumonia in San Rafael, Calif.

Ted, born in Trenton, N.J., came to Princeton in July 1942 from Exeter. He joined the Navy V1 program at Cornell in Dec. 1942, graduating there in 1945 in civil engineering. He continued for 32 years in Navy engineering, serving in many posts in the Pacific, England, and on the East Coast. He joined Bechtel Corp. in 1974 and worked in San Francisco, Washington, D.C., Canada, and Saudi Arabia. He retired in 1983 and bought a 32-ft. Grand Banks Trawler to sail in the Bay Area. He was Commodore of the Loch Lomond Yacht Club in San Rafael and of the Predicted Log Racing Assn. of Northern California.

Ted is survived by his wife, Dorothy Short (daughter of Rear Admiral E.T. Short), three daughters, Karen Bathgate, Capt. Cindy Dillon, USN, and Anne Doyle, and five grandchildren. Our class extends to them our sincere sympathy.

The Class of 1946

David Marsden Laning '48

David Laning died May 10, 1998, in Hyannis, Mass., after a long battle with emphysema. David and Nancy, whom he married in 1950, were longtime residents of Harwich Port.

David was born in Bridgeton, N.J., and graduated from Choate. He was in the Navy from 194446. At Princeton, he was in the Glee Club and Tower. He graduated in 1950, having majored in English.

David was a member of the Orleans Cultural Council and had a lifelong interest in drama and the arts. He was active in the Barnstable Comedy Club for many years.

To his widow, Nancy, and daughters, Melissa and Megan, the class sends its condolences.

The Class of 1948

John Preston Barnhart '49

John Barnhart died Dec. 30, 1997, of an aneurysm of the aorta.

He was born Mar. 15, 1928, and came to Princeton from Isaac Young H.S. in New Rochelle, N.Y. He majored in architecture, was interested in music and the visual arts, and was a member of Court Club. He served in the Army during 1946-47, achieving the rank of T5.

Following graduation, John worked as a fabric sales executive for a number of firms over the years, covering the U.S. and abroad. He then became data services manager for the Cuyahoga County, Ohio, board of elections, and worked for the Associated Estates Corp. He lived in Shaker Heights, Ohio.

In addition to Geraldine, his loving wife of 39 years, he is survived by three children, Paul J., David P., and Lisa M. We extend to them all our most sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1949

Lawrence W. Barss '49

Larry Barss, a selfemployed economist and consultant, died of leukemia on June 24, 1996, at his home in Belmont, Mass.

Larry was born in Boston on Feb. 28, 1928, lived in Andover, and prepared for college at Phillips Academy there, where his father was director of the department of physics. At Princeton, Larry achieved high honors in history, was on the freshman, JV, and varsity crews, served as assistant crew coach, belonged to WhigClio, helped publish the '49 Nassau Herald, and was v.p. of Colonial Club.

Following Princeton, he earned a doctorate in economics at MIT, served in the Army during the Korean War, taught at Andover, and was a trainee at the Natl. City Bank in NYC. It was there that he met his wife of 41 years, Barbara Jordan Malm.

As an economist, over the years Larry worked with Heritage House, the Cambridge Research Institute, the Center for Resource Management, the New England Council, and various businesses and governments, consulting on international development and strategic planning.

In addition to his loving wife, Barbara, Larry left a son, Geoffrey, a daughter, Karen, a sister, Helen Schneider, and a grandchild. To each of them the class extends its heartfelt sympathies at the loss of this devoted, generous, caring man, and active '49er.

The Class of 1949

Eric A. Corkhill Jr. '49

Dr. Rick Corkhill, dedicated Main Line obstetrician and gynecologist, died Jan. 24, 1998. He had Alzheimer's disease and retired from practice in 1987 because of it.

Born in West Chester, Pa., Rick became a lifelong resident of Berwyn, Pa., graduating from TredyffrinEaston H.S. At Princeton he majored in psychology, was in the football and concert bands, was a waiter/captain at Commons, and joined Charter Club.

He earned his MD at the U. of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and completed his internship at Bryn Mawr Hospital and his residency at Pennsylvania Hospital. He was an Air Force flight surgeon in Germany from 1954-56. His wife, Lucinda, whom he married in 1951, found him to be "a wonderful husband and father, as well as a doctor devoted to his patients and good medicine." Rick was on the staff of Bryn Mawr Hospital for more than 30 years, including 10 as director of obstetrics and gynecology.

Rick was a member and elder of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Berwyn and a member of Merion Golf Club, Wanesborough Country Club, and Oceanside Country Club, Ormond Beach, Fla., where the family maintained a second home.

In addition to Lucinda, Rick is survived by children Lucinda Dautrich and Eric A. III, brother Richard W. '53, and four grandchildren. To them, we extend our deepest sympathies at the loss of this kind, caring man.

The Class of 1949

John H. Duys III '49

Jack Duys, a tobacco merchant who had been lost to us and to Princeton since our 30th reunion, died June 19, 1998, in Miami.

Jack was born in Larchmont, N.Y., to the late Anna and John H. Jr. '25, of Havana, Cuba, and attended the Lawrenceville School before coming to Princeton. He majored in economics and was a member of Terrace Club. Following Princeton, he entered the family business, H. Duys & Co. Havana Tobacco, and remained there until 1960.

During 1951-52 Jack served in the Korean War as an instrument sergeant for a mortar platoon, then retired to civilian life and the family company. He married Diane Putnam Colman in 1954, and they visited many countries throughout Europe so that he could learn that aspect of tobacco marketing. Jack remained active in the tobacco business for many years, in NYC, the Philippines, and the Dominican Republic, and they lived wherever it was prudent at the time.

Diane describes Jack as "a kind and generous person, whose Sundays at the Manila Polo Club, devoted to the family's horseback riding, are fondly remembered." Jack is survived by his loving family -- Diane, son John, daughters Kathryn, Diana, and Anna, and grandchildren James, Nicolas, and Thalia. To them all, we extend our most sincere sympathies.

The Class of 1949

Harley M. Roberts '49

Harley Roberts, a retired transportation and energy economist, died Apr. 5, 1998, at the Washington Hospital Center after heart surgery.

Harley was born in Shanghai, where his father was a college professor. He came to Princeton from Exeter, majored in history, was a waiter in Commons and a member of the JV wrestling team, the University Choir, and Terrace Club.

Harley was a corporal in the Army Medical Corps during 1946-47 in the ETO. Following graduation from Princeton in 1951, he worked for the Agency for Intl. Development, with assignments in the Middle East, Far East, and South America. He subsequently was an economics consultant to private firms in the Washington area. He earned a master's in economics from the American U. in 1970. In the mid'70s he joined the federal Dept. of Transportation and worked 19 years there until he retired in 1996.

Harley was past treasurer of the Potomac Bethesda Rotary Club and the Manna Food Center of Rockville. He taught computer classes and, as a member, set up a computerized accounting system at St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Bethesda, Md.

Survivors include his wife, Leslie, children Katherine, Andrew, and Donald, a brother, Markley '51, and a sister, Mary Markley Craighill. To each of them we extend our sympathies at the loss of a distinguished '49er.

The Class of 1949

Charles Foster Weeden III '51

Chuck Weeden, a master teacher and inspiring sports coach at the Lawrenceville School, died June 25, 1998, of a heart attack while jogging with Mary, his wife of 41 years, near their beloved Meadowberry Farm, a dozen miles northwest of Nassau Hall. Chuck prepped at Choate. At Princeton he joined Cottage Club, majored in history, captained the hockey team in his senior year, and was catcher on the baseball team that played in the 1951 College World Series. He roomed with David Van Vleck and Jack Reydel.

In Korea, Chuck was a Marine rifle platoon leader and won a Bronze Star.

He got his master's in history from the U. of Washington, then began a 40year career at Lawrenceville, teaching medieval, Renaissance, and American history, coaching the varsity hockey team with notable success for 17 years, assisting with football and baseball, and presiding as a house master for 13 years. Chuck was a selfless, unassuming man of remarkable dedication to his students and family. He was famed at Lawrenceville for his compassionate, nurturing manner and gentle wit.

In a packed chapel service, he was eulogized for revealing "that the heart of humility and good purpose can be passed from generation to generation." In addition to Mary, Chuck is survived by daughter Ann, sons Bradley, Matthew, and Jared, and sister Emma. Many '51ers will miss this great guy.

The Class of 1951

Edward Robert Brooks '52

Ed Brooks died July 30, 1997, during heart surgery at Loyola U. Medical Center in Maywood, Ill. His memorial service was held at the U. of Chicago Graduate School of Business.

At Princeton Ed prepared to follow in the family tradition of medical practice, majoring in chemistry and belonging to the Biology Club and Pre-Med Society. He was a member of Terrace Club and served as business manager of the Nassau Lit. After graduation, Ed earned a master's at Columbia in business psychology.

A position as account executive took Ed to Chicago, where his avocation as a writer and gourmet cook became his profession. He appeared for 10 years on the Jim Conway Show, cooking and teaching, later wrote restaurant reviews for the Chicago Sun-Times, and ran two gourmet consulting firms. In 1964, he was inducted into the Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs, the oldest gourmet society in the world. His column, "North Looping with Edward Robert Brooks," appeared in the North Loop News until a week before his death.

Ed is survived by his wife, Rosemary, and three children, Robert Jr., Catharine, and Gregory. We offer them our deepest sympathies.

The Class of 1952

Hugo Horace Harper '52

After a lengthy illness, Hugo Harper died Dec. 16, 1997, at St. Mary's Health Center, St. Louis, Mo. A graveside service was held at Bellefountaine Cemetery, St. Louis County.

Hugo's career at Lawrenceville and Princeton was a predictor of his life's work. An architecture major, he was on the staff of the Nassau Lit, where he was art editor, and worked in the photo service, which he managed as a senior. He belonged to Terrace Club.

After graduation, Hugo served a stint as studio assistant to Horst P. Horst of Vogue. A call from the Air Force interrupted his MBA studies at Washington U., where he received his degree in 1956. He and Marian Reis were married in June 1956. A frustrating tour with Otis Elevator propelled Hugo into a career as a photojournalist. He wrote, "I have covered most of the world, including the Amazon, Japan, Europe, the Balkans, and the South Pole." He also worked for several St. Louis companies, including the Symphony Orchestra and the Municipal Opera. Hugo further wrote, "I would like to leave something of the spiritual and physical beauty of the world behind -- in film form." Surely he succeeded.

Hugo's wife, Marian, predeceased him. He is survived by a half-brother, Bill, and two half-sisters, Sally and Blair. We offer them our profound condolences.

The Class of 1952

Howard Frederic Whitney III '53

Mike Whitney died of a massive brain aneurysm July 1, 1998, doing what he loved best, as his sister Carlin Scherer said, "sailing at sea." He was skippering a 60-ft. yawl from Virginia to Boston.

Born in NYC, Mike and his father Howard F. Jr. '28 were educated at St. Paul's School and were in Colonial Club at Princeton. Like F. Scott Fitzgerald '17, Mike was handsome, extremely literary-minded, loved a good time, and missed too many classes. Unlike Fitzgerald, Mike was athletic. He rowed on the freshman heavyweight crew, was a competitive skier, and his passion was sailing. Roommate Sandy Lambert recalls one summer they went to Europe on a student ship. Mike would delight the passengers nightly with poetry readings.

After college Mike taught history at Miss Porter's School, studied library science, and became a librarian in Massachusetts. He had had a quintuple bypass, but at our 45th he was tanned, trim, and high-spirited. His fellow oarsman, Charlie Rooney, told Mike to sign him up as a crew member on his next voyage. Our deep sympathy to Carlin, daughters Catherine Welles, Hope Wu, and Tatiana, another sister, Lansing Moran, stepmother Mrs. H.F. Whitney Jr., and five grandchildren.

The Class of 1953

Frederick J. Stevenson Jr. '55

Frederick J. "Ted" Stevenson Jr., an environmental officer of the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, died Feb. 6, 1998, of malignant melanoma in Pittsburgh.

Ted attended Sewickley and Deerfield Academies, where he was active in sports. At Princeton, he majored in English and French literature, played freshman soccer, worked on the advertising staff of the Princeton Tiger, and joined Tiger Inn and the 21 Club. After Princeton, Ted attended the Graduate School of Design at Harvard. He served in the Army for two years in Western Germany and studied in France as a Fulbright scholar.

Ted spent his professional life in public service and was proud of the wide area served by the Pittsburgh HUD office. The City of McKeesport issued a proclamation, noting among other things that Ted's untimely death "interrupted decades of continuous public service" in the McKeesport and Mon Yough area. He will be remembered for his devotion to family and to his public constituency, for whom he cultivated the concept of home. Ted loved to travel and for nearly 60 years enjoyed summers in Georgian Bay, Canada.

He is survived by his wife, Sally, sons Frederick J. III and William Edwards, daughter Elizabeth Burd, two grandsons, and sister Blair S. Fleischmann. To them the class extends deep sympathy.

The Class of 1955

Frederick Wright Beck '61

Our classmate Fred Beck died Jan. 4, 1998, after a long struggle with cancer.

A native of New Haven, Fred attended The Gunnery and then served in the Army's 101st Airborne Division before coming to Princeton. At Princeton he was active in the Veterans' Center, Theatre Intime, and the Savoyards and was a member of Campus Club. A politics major, he wrote his thesis on "Public Opinion on Entering WWII, 193741." Subsequently he earned his law degree at the U. of Connecticut. In due course he became a chartered property casualty underwriter and a chartered life underwriter, consistent with his specializing in insurance law.

A resident of Western Springs, Ill., Fred was active in the general synod of the United Church of Christ and the Plymouth Place Retirement Community. He was also a member of the ABA, the Intl. Assn. of Defense Counsel, and the Union League Club of Chicago.

Fred is survived by his wife, Barbro, sons Alexander and Erik, sister Anne Doublier, and brothers John and Robert. A third brother, Franklin, predeceased him. We join his family in their grief.

The Class of 1961

Mark L. Davidson '66

Mark Davidson lost his battle against cancer June 18, 1998. Mark died in Washington, D.C., where he had been in government service as deputy director of the Bureau of Competition at the Federal Trade Commission and later in private law practice. He had been in Washington for 20 years.

A graduate of Horace Mann H.S. in NYC, Mark entered Princeton with the Class of '67. His brilliant intellect surfaced early, and he graduated in three years with us. He was a Woodrow Wilson Scholar, a member of Campus Club, and a talented member of the Triangle Club. Throughout his life, Mark always had the ability to entertain his friends and colleagues. He was an avid member of the monthly Class of '66 Lunch Bunch in D.C.

After Princeton, Mark attended Columbia Law School and was a Harlan Fiske Scholar. In the private legal practice and in government service, Mark demonstrated his agile mind and energetic enthusiasm. Later, he had his own firm.

To Mark's mother, Bernice Rogers, his brother, James, and his longtime devoted friend, Nellie Chao, the class extends its deep sympathy. Break a leg, Mark!

The Class of 1966