IRG B Publications
IRGB: Design and Control of Buried Active Molecular Materials Interfaces
1. C.S. Kim, L.L. Tinker, B.F. DiSalle, E.D. Gomez, S. Lee, S. Bernhard, and Y.-L. Loo, “Altering the thermodynamics of phase separation in inverted bulk-heterojunction organic solar cell,” Adv. Mat., 21, 3110 (2009).
2. C.S. Kim, S.S. Lee, L. Tinker, S. Bernhard, and Y.-L. Loo, “Cobaltocene-Doped Viologen as Functional Components in Organic Electronics,” Chem. Mat., 21, 4583, (2009).
3. N.T. Kattamis, N.D. McDaniel, S. Bernhard, and C.B. Arnold, “Laser direct write printing of sensitive and robust light emitting organic molecules,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, 103306 (2009).
4. T.M. McQueen, D.M. Ho, C. Jimenez Cahua, R.J. Cava, R.A. Pascal, Jr., and Z.G. Soos, “Realization of the bond order wave (BOW) phase of extended Hubbard models in Rb-TCNQ(II),” Chem. Phys. Lett., 475, 44 (2009).
5. J. Hwang, A. Wan, and A. Kahn, “Energetics of Metal-Organic Interfaces: New Experiments and Assessment of the Field,” Materials Science and Engineering, R 64, 1 (2009).
6. C.K. Chan, W. Zhao, A. Kahn, and I.G. Hill, “Influence of chemical doping on the performance of organic photovoltaic cells,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, 203306 (2009).
7. M. Kröger, S. Hamwi, J. Meyer, T. Riedl, W. Kowalsky, and A. Kahn, “On the role of deep-lying electronic states in MoO3 thin films for improved hole-injection into organic thin films,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 95, 123301, (2009).
8. C.S. Kim, J.B. Kim, S.S. Lee, Y.S. Kim, and Y.-L. Loo, “Sequence of Annealing Polymer Photoactive Layer Influences the Air Stability of Inverted Solar Cells,” Org. Electr., 10, 1483, (2009).
9. C.S. Kim, S. Lee, E.D. Gomez, J. Kim, and Y.-L. Loo, “Transient photovoltaic behavior of air-stable, inverted organic solar cells with solution-processed electron transport layer,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, 113302 (2009).
10. J.B. Kim, C.S. Kim, Y.S. Kim, Y.-L. Loo, “Oxidation of silver electrodes induces transition from conventional to inverted photovoltaic characteristics in polymer solar cells” Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 183301 (2009).
11. J. Wang and A. Selloni, “First principles Study of Fatty Acid Monolayers on Au(111),” J. Phys. Chem., C 113, 8895 (2009).
12. W. Akande, Y. Cao, N. Yao, and W.O. Soboyejo, “Adhesion and Cold Welding of Au-Ag Films,” J. Appl. Phys., 107, 043519, (2009).
13. T. Tong, O. Akogwu, J. Meng, M. Eleruja, S.Admassie, B. Babatope, T. Woodson, Z. Zong, N. Rahbar, C. Watola, and W. O. Soboyejo, “Adhesion in Organic Electronic Structures,” J. Appl. Phys., 106, 083708, (2009).
14. W. Akande and W.O. Soboyejo, “Spiral Telephone Cord Failures in Organic Light Emitting Devices,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 95, 113304, (2009).
1. J. Kawasaki, and C. B. Arnold, "Synthesis of platinum dendrites and nanowires via directed electrochemical nanowire assembly," NanoLett. 11, 781-785 DOI: 0.1021/nl1039956 (2011).
2. J. Meyer, A. Shu. M. Kröger, and A. Kahn, “Effect of contamination on the electronic structure and hole-injection properties of MoO3/organic semiconductor interfaces,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 96, 133308, (2010).
3. X. Zhu and A. Kahn, “Electronic Structure and Dynamics at Organic Donor/Acceptor Interfaces,” MRS Bulletin, 35, 443 (2010).
4. Z. Guan, J. Kim, Y.-L. Loo, and A. Kahn, “Energy level alignment of organic-organic bulk heterojunction: the case of the poly(3-hexylthiophene) : phenyl-[6,6]-C61 butyric acid methyl ester blend,” Org. Elect., 11, 1779 (2010).
5. J.B. Kim, S. Lee, M.F. Toney, Z. Chen, A. Facchetti, Y.S. Kim, Y.-L. Loo, “Reversible Soft-Contact Lamination and Delamination for Non-Invasive Fabrication and Characterization of Bulk-Heterojunction and Bilayer Organic Solar Cells,” Chem. Mater., 22, 4931 (2010).
6. J.B. Kim, K. Allen, S.J. Oh, S. Lee, M.F. Toney, Y.S. Kim, C.R. Kagan, C. Nuckolls, Y.-L. Loo, “Small-Molecule Thiophene-C60 Dyads As Compatibilizers in Inverted Polymer Solar Cells,” Chem. Mater., 22, 5762 (2010).
7. K.C. Liao, A.G. Ismail, L. Kreplak, J. Schwartz, and I.G. Hill, “Designed Organophosphonate Self-Assembled Monolayers Enhance Device Performance of Pentacene-Based Organic Thin-Film Transistors,” Adv. Mater., 22, 3081 (2010).
8. S. Avasthi, Y. Qi, G. Vertelov, J. Schwartz, A. Kahn, and J.C. Sturm, “Silicon Surface Passivation by an Organic Overlayer of 9,10-Phenanthrenequinone,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 96, 222109 (2010).
9. N. Takeuchi, Y. Kanai, and A. Selloni, “Surface Radical Chain Reaction Revisited: Comparative Investigation of Styrene and 2,4-Dimethyl-Styrene on Hydrogenated Si(001) Surface from Density Functional Theory Calculations,” J. Chem. Phys. C, 114, 3981 (2010).
10. W.O. Akande, O. Akogwu, T, Tong, and W.O. Soboyejo, “Thermally Induced Instabilities in Polymer Light Emitting Diodes,” J. App. Phys., 108, 023510 (2010).
11. Z.G. Soos, M. Kumar, S. Ramasesha, and R.A. Pascal, Jr., “1:1 alkali-TCNQ salts and the bond order (BOW) phase of half-filled Hubbard-type models,” Physica B, 405, S353 (2010) (DOI: 10.1016/j.physb.2009.11.090).
12. M. Kumar, S. Ramasesha, and Z.G. Soos, “Bond-order wave phase, spin solitons and thermodynamics of a frustrated linear spin-1/2 Heisenberg antiferromagnet,” Phys. Rev. B, 81, 054413 (2010).
13. B.J. Topham, M. Kumar, and Z.G. Soos, “Ionization potentials of crystalline organic thin films: Position dependence due to charge anisotropy and redistribution,” Chem. Phys. Lett., 493, 251 (2010).
14. M. Kumar, Z.G. Soos, D. Sen, and S. Ramasesha, “Modified DMRG algorithm for the zigzag spin-1/2 chain with frustrated antiferromagnetic exchange: Comparison with field theory at large J2/J1,” Phys. Rev. B, 81, 104406 (2010).
1. C. Peabody and C. B. Arnold, “The role of mechanically induced creep in lithium-ion battery capacity fade,” J. Power Sources 196, 8147-8153 (2011).
2. Y.-C Tsai, R. Fardel, and C. B. Arnold, “Nanopatterning on rough surfaces using optically trapped micro-spheres,” Appl. Phys. Lett 98, 23310 (2011).
3. J. Kawasaki and C. B. Arnold, "Synthesis of platinum dendrites and nanowires via directed electrochemical nanowire assembly," NanoLett. 11, 781-785 (2011).
4. N.T. Kattamis, M.S. Brown, and C.B. Arnold, “Finite element analysis of blister formation in laser-induced forward transfer,” J. Mat. Res., 26, 2438 (2011).
5. N.T. Kattamis, N.D. McDaniel, S. Bernhard, and C.B. Arnold, “Ambient laser direct-write printing of a patterned organometallic electroluminescent device,” Org. Elec., 12, 1152 (2011).
6. J.B. Kim, Z. Guan, A.L. Shu, A. Kahn, and Y.-L. Loo, “Annealing Sequence Dependent Open-Circuit Voltage of Inverted Polymer Solar Cells Attributable to Interfacial Chemical Reaction between Top Electrodes and Photoactive Layers,” Langmuir, 27, 11265 (2011).
7. H. Wang, E.D. Gomez, J.B. Kim, Z. Guan, C. Jaye, D.A. Fischer, A. Kahn, and Y.-L. Loo, “Device Characteristics of Bulk-Heterojunction Polymer Solar Cells are Independent of Interfacial Segregation of Active Layers,” Chem. Mat., 23, 2020 (2011).
8. J. Meyer and A. Kahn, “Electronic Structure of Molybdenum-Oxide Films and Associated Charge Injection Mechanisms in Organic Devices,” J. Photon. Energy, 1, 011109-1 (2011).
9. J. Meyer, K. Zilberberg, T. Riedl, and A. Kahn, “Electronic structure of Vanadium pentoxide: An efficient hole injector for organic electronic materials,” J. Appl. Phys., 110, 033710 (2011).
10. Y. Qi, O. Yaffe, E. Tirosh, A. Vilan, D. Cahen, and A. Kahn, “Filled and empty states of alkanethiol monolayer on Au (111): Fermi level asymmetry and implications for electron transport,” Chem. Phys. Lett., 511, 344 (2011).
11. J. Meyer, R. Khalandovsky, P. Görrn, and A. Kahn, “MoO3 Films Spin-coated from Nanoparticle Suspension for Efficient Hole-Injection in Organic Electronics,” Adv. Mat., 23, 70 (2011).
12. J.B. Kim, Z. Guan, S. Lee, E. Pavlopoulou, M.F. Toney, A. Kahn, and Y.-L. Loo, “Modular Construction of P3HT/PCBM Planar-Heterojunction Solar Cells by Lamination allows Elucidation of Processing Structure-Function Relationships,” Org. Electr., 12, 1163 (2011).
13. Z. Guan, J.B. Kim, Y.-L. Loo, and A. Kahn, “Electronic structure of the poly(3-hexylthiophene):indene-C60 bisadduct bulk heterojunction,” J. Appl. Phys., 110, 043719 (2011).
14. E.D. Gomez, K.P. Barteau, H. Wang, M.F. Toney, and Y.-L. Loo “Correlating the
Scattered Intensities of P3HT and PCBM to the Current Densities of Polymer Solar
Cells” Chemical Communications, 47, 436, (2011).
15. S. Avasthi, S.S. Lee, Y.-L. Loo, and J.C. Sturm, “Role of Majority and Minority Carrier Barriers Silicon/Organic Hybrid Heterojunction Solar Cells,” Adv. Mat., 23, 5762 (2011).
16. S. Avashti, Y. Qi, G.K. Vertelov, J. Schwartz, A. Kahn, and J.C. Sturm, “Electronic structure and band alignment of 9,10-phenanthrenequinone passivated silicon surfaces,” Surf. Sci., 605, 1308 (2011).
17. O. Akogwu, W. Akande, T. Tong, and W. Soboyejo, “Dendrite Growth in Annealed polymer Blends,” J. Appl. Phys., 110, 103517 (2011).
18. B.J. Topham and Z.G. Soos, “Ionization in organic thin films: Electrostatic potential, electronic polarization and dopants in pentacene films,” Phys. Rev. B, 84, 165405 (2011).
19. B.J. Topham, M. Kumar, and Z.G. Soos, “Profiles of work function shifts and collective charge transfer in submonolayer metal-organic films,” Adv. Funct. Mat., 21, 1931 (2011).
20. Z.G. Soos and B.J. Topham, “Surface dipole of F4TCNQ films: Collective charge transfer and dipole-dipole repulsion in submonolayers,” Org. Elect., 12, 39 (2011).
1. J. Spechler and C.B. Arnold, “Direct-Write laser processed silver nanowire networks for transparent conducting electrodes,” Appl. Phys. A., 108, 25 (2012).
2. M.S. Brown, C.F. Brasz., Y. Ventikos, and C.B. Arnold, “Experimental and Computational Study of Impulsively Actuated Jets from Thin Liquid Films for High-Resolution Printing Applications” J. Fluid. Mech., 709, 341 (2012).
3. K.-C. Liao, H. Anwar, I.G. Hill, G.K. Vertelov, and J. Schwartz, “Comparative Interface Metrics for Metal-Free Monolayer-Based Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells,” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 4, 6735 (2012).
4. A. Wilke, J. Endres, U. Hörmann, J. Niederhausen, R. Schlesinger, J. Frisch, P. Amsalem, J. Wagner, M. Gruber, A. Opitz, A. Vollmer, W. Brütting, A. Kahn, and N. Koch, “Correlation between interface energetics and open circuit voltage in organic photovoltaic cells,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 101, 233301 (2012).
5. J. Meyer, S. Hamwi, M. Kröger, W. Kowalsky, T. Riedl, and A. Kahn, “Transition Metal Oxides for Organic Electronics: Energetics, Device Physics and Applications,” Adv. Mat., 24, 5408 (2012).
6. K. Kuribara, H. Wang, N. Uchiyama, K. Fukuda, T. Yokota, U. Zschieschang, C. Jaye, D.A. Fischer, H. Klauk, T. Yamamoto, K. Takimiya, M. Ikeda, H. Kuwabara, T. Sekitani, Y.-L. Loo, and T. Someya, “Organic Transistors with High Thermal Stability for Medical Applications,” Nature Communications, 3, 723 (2012).
7. H. Wang, M. Shah, V. Ganesan, M. Chabinyc, and Y.-L. Loo, “Tail State-Assisted Charge Injection and Recombination at the Electron-Collecting Interface of P3HT:PCBM Bulk-Heterojunction Polymer Solar Cells,” Adv. Ener. Mat., 2, 1447, (2012).
8. J.B. Kim, P. Kim, N.C. Pegard, S.J. Oh, C.R. Kagan, J.W. Fleischer, H.A. Stone, and Y.-L. Loo, “Wrinkles and Folds as Photonic Structures in Polymer Photovoltaics,” Nature Photonics, 6, 327 (2012).
9. M. Kumar, S. Ramasesha, and Z.G. Soos, “Density matrix renormalization group algorithm for Bethe lattices of spin 1/2 or 1 sites with Heisenberg antiferromagnetic exchange,” Phys. Rev. B, 85, 134425 (2012).
10. M. Kumar and Z.G. Soos, “Spin parity and broken symmetry in finite spin-1/2 chains with frustrated exchange: quantum transition from high to low spin,” Phys. Rev. B, 85, 144415 (2012).
11. N. Jafferis and J.C. Sturm, "Formation and Post-Deposition Compression of Smooth and Processable Silicon Thin Films from Nanoparticle Suspensions,” J. Appl. Phys., 111, 064316 (2012).
12. Y. Guo, A. Morozov, D. Schneider, J.W. Chung, C. Zhang, M. Waldmann, N. Yao, G. Fytas, C.B. Arnold, and R.D. Priestley, “Ultra-Stable Nanostructured Polymer Glasses,” Nature Materials, 11, 337 (2012).
1. K. Shepard, Y. Guo, C.B. Arnold, and R.D. Priestley, “Nanostructured morphology of polymer films prepared by matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation,” Appl. Phys. A, DOI:10.1007/s00339-012-7151-8 (2013).
2. K. Shepard, C.B. Arnold, and R. Priestley, “Origins of nanostructure in amorphous polymer coatings via MAPLE,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 103, 123105 (2013).
3. M. Kumar, S.E. Dutton, R.J. Cava and Z.G. Soos, “Spin-flop and antiferromagnetic phases of the ferromagnetic half-twist ladder compounds Ba3Cu3In4O12 and Ba3Cu3Sc4O12”, J. Phys. Condens. Matter 25, 136004 (2013).
4. S. Avasthi, W.E. McClain, G. Man, A. Kahn, J. Schwartz, and J.C. Sturm, “Hole-Blocking Titanium-Oxide/Silicon Heterojunction for Photovoltaics,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 102, 203901 (2013).
5. W.W. McClain, P.R. Florence, A. Shu, A. Kahn, and J. Schwartz, “Surface Dipole Engineering for Conducting Polymers,” Org. Electr., 14, 411 (2013).
6. H. Wang, E. D. Gomez, Z. Guan, C. Jaye, M. F. Toney, D. A. Fischer, A. Kahn, and Y.-L. Loo, “Tuning Contact Recombination and Open-Circuit Voltage in Polymer Solar Cells via Self-Assembled Monolayer Adsorption at the Organic-Metal Oxide Interface,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 117, 20474 (2013).
7. H. Wang, M. Shah, C. Jaye, D.A. Fischer, V. Ganesan, M. Chabinyc, and Y.-L. Loo, “Comment on Tail State-Assisted Charge Injection and Recombination at the Electron-Collecting Interface of P3HT:PCBM Bulk-Heterojunction Polymer Solar Cells,” Adv. Energy Mater., 3, 1537 (2013).
8. A.L. Shu, A. Dai, H. Wang, Y.-L. Loo, and A. Kahn, “Electronic Structure and Carrier Transport at Laminated Polymer Homojunctions,” Org. Electr., 14, 149 (2013).
9. J.M. Mativetsky, H. Wang, S. Lee, L. Whittaker-Brooks, and Y.-L. Loo, “Face-On Stacking and Enhanced Out-of-Plane Hole Mobility in Graphene-Templated Copper Phthalocyanine,” Chem. Comm. Advance Article (2013).
10. J.B. Kim, S. Ahn, S.J. Kang, C. Nuckolls, and Y.-L. Loo, “Ligand chemistry of titania precursor affects transient photovoltaic behavior in inverted organic solar cells,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 102, 103302 (2013).
11. L. Whittaker-Brooks, A. Woll, D. Smilgies, and Y.-L. Loo, “Sputtered ZnO Seed Layer Enhances Photovoltaic Behavior in Hybrid Zno/P3HT Solar Cells,” Org. Electron., 14, 3477 (2013).
12. K.A. Nagamatsu, S. Avasthi, J. Jhaveri, and J.C. Sturm, “A 12% Efficient Silicon/PEDOT:PSS Heterojunction Solar Cell Fabricated at < 100 ◦C,” IEEE J. Photovoltaics, 4, 260 (2013) DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2013.2287758