2011-2012 Shared Facilties Publications
A. Published and accepted papers in refereed journals and proceedings:
1. L. Bindi, J. M. Eiler, Y. Guan, L. Hollister, G. MacPherson, P. J. Steinhardt, and N. Yao, “Evidence for the Extra-terrestrial Origin of a Natural Quasicrystal”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109  1396-1401 (2012).
2. S. Kostinski and N. Yao, “Rutherford Backscattering Oscillation in Scanning Helium-ion Microscopy”, Journal of Applied Physics, 109, 064311 (2011).
3. C. Wang, P. F. Murphy, N. Yao, S. Y. Chou, “Growth of Straight Silicon Nanowires on Amorphous Substrates with Uniform Diameter, Length, Orientation, and Location Using Nanopatterned Host-Mediated Catalyst”, Nano Letters, 11, 5247–5251 (2011).
4. X. Chen, A. Li, N. Yao, and Y. Shi, “Adjustable stiffness of individual piezoelectric nanofibers by electron beam polarization”, Applied Physics Letter, 99, 193102 (2011).
5. L. Bindi, P. J. Steinhardt, N. Yao, P. J. Lu, “Icosahedrite, Al63Cu24Fe13, the First Natural Quasicrystal”, American Mineralogist, 96, 928–931 (2011).
6. T. C. Zhang, D. L. Zhu, N. Yao, F. Qi, and C. K. Law, “A Wire Microcalorimetric Study of Catalytic Lgnition of Methane-air Mixtures over Palladium Oxide”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 33, 1819-1825 (2011).
7. A. Li, S. Xu, and N. Yao, “Determination of the Young’s Modulus of Individual PZT Nanowires Using Resonance Frequencies”, Microscopy and Microanalysis, 17 Suppl 2, 500 (2011).
8. J. Yang, S. Xu, G. Poirier, and N. Yao.”Characterization and Modeling of Multi-Layered Diatom Biooptics for Energy-Harvesting Applications”, Microscopy and Microanalysis, 17 Suppl 2, 1730 (2011).
9. A. Stahl, G. Poirier, and N. Yao, “A Perplexing Hoard of Lusignen Coins from Polis, Cyprus”, in Proceedings of the XIV International Numismatic Congress, II 1625-1632 (2011).
10. N. L. Aung, X. Huang, W. O. Charles, N. Yao, and C. F. Gmachl, “Effect of Surface Defects on InGaAs/InAlAs Quantum Cascade Mesa Current-voltage Characteristics”, Journal of Crystal Growth 353,  35–38 (2012).
11. S. Xu, G. Poirier, and N. Yao, “Fabrication and Piezoelectric Property of PMN-PT Nanofibers”, Nano Energy 10.1016/j.nanoen.2012.03.011.
12. S. Xu, G. Poirier, and N. Yao, “PMN-PT Nanowires with very High Piezoelectric Constants”, Nano Letters 12  2238–2242 (2012).
B. Book chapters published and accepted
13. X. Chen, N. Yao, Y, Shi, Mechanical Energy Harvesting Based on PZT Nanofibers, in Energy Efficiency and Renewable energy through Nanotechnology, edited by L. Zhang Part 2, pp. 425-438, (Springer Series in Nanoscience and Technology, 2011).
14. J. N. Shan, N. Yao, Y. G. Ju, Ligand Effects and Synthesis of NaYF4 Based Up and Down conversion Colloidal Nanophosphors, in Fluorine-related Nanoscience with Energy Applications, edited by D. Nelson Chapter 5, pp 71-85 (ACS books, 2011).
15. N. Yao , Fundamentals of the Focused Ion Beam System, in Handbook of Nanoscopy, edited by G. Van Tendeloo, D. Van Dyck and S. J. Pennycook, pp. 645-671 (Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, 2012).
2010-2011 Shared Facilities Publications
1 J. Kawasaki, and C. B. Arnold, "Synthesis of platinum dendrites and nanowires via directed electrochemical nanowire assembly," NanoLett. 11, 781-785 DOI: 0.1021/nl1039956 (2011)
2. R. Fardel, Y. Tsai, and C. B. Arnold, “Self-positioning effects in optical trap assisted nanopatterning”, Proceedings of 2011 NSF Engineering Research and Innovation Conference, (non-referreed meeting paper) (2011).
3. T. D. Nguyen, J. M. Nagarah, Y. Qi, S. S. Nonnenmann, A. V. Morozov, S. Li, C. B. Arnold, M. C. McAlpine, “Wafer-scale nanopatterning and translation into high-performance piezoelectric nanowires”, Nanolett. 10, 4595-4599 (2010).
4. S. C. C. Bailey, G. J. Kunkel, M. Hultmark, M. Vallikivi, J. P. Hill, K. A. Meyer, C. Tsay, C. B. Arnold and A. J. Smits, "Turbulence measurements using a nanoscale thermal anemometry probe", J. Fluid Mech 663, 160-179 (2010).
5. Y. Tsai, R. Fardel, and C. B. Arnold, “Generating submicron features on rough surfaces using optical trap assisted nanopatterning”, AIP Proceedings 1278, 457-464 (2010).
6. R. Fardel, E. McLeod, Y. Tsai, and C. B. Arnold, “Nanoscale ablation through optically trapped microspheres” , Appl. Phys. A.101, 41-46 (2010).
2009-2010 Shared Facilities and Seed Publications
1. J. Meng, J. Fan, G. Galiana, R.T. Branca, P.L. Clasen, S. Ma, J. Zhou, C. Leuschner, C.S.S.R. Kumar, J. Hormes, T. Otiti, A.C. Beye, M.P. Harmer, C.J. Kiely, W. Warren, M.P. Haataja, and W.O. Soboyejo, “LHRH-functionalized superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for breast cancer targeting and contrast enhancement in MRI”, Mater. Sci. Eng. C 29, 1467-1479 (2009).
2. J. Shabani, T. Gokmen, Y. T. Chiu, and M. Shayegan, “Evidence for Developing Fractional Quantum Hall States at Even-denominator ½ and ¼ Fillings in Asymmetric Wide Quantum Wells,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 256802 (2009).
3. J. N. Shan, N. Yao and Y. G. Ju, “Phase Transition Induced Formation of Hollow Structures in Colloidal Lanthanide-doped NaYF4 Nanocrystals”, J. Nanoparticle Research, 12, 1429-1438 (2010).
4. D. Cohen-Tanugi, A. Akey, and N. Yao, “Ultralow Superharmonic Resonance for Functional Nanowires”, Nano Letters, 10, 852-859 (2010).
2008-2009 Shared Facilties Publications
1. D.V. West, Q. Huang, H.W. Zandbergen, T.M. McQueen, and R.J. Cava, “Structural disorder, octahedral coordination and two-dimensional ferromagnetism in anhydrous alums”, J. Sol. St. Chem. 181, 2768 (2008).
2. K.E.Wagner, E. Morosan, Y.S. Hor, J. Tao, Y. Zhu, T. Sanders, T.M. McQueen, H.W. Zandbergen, A.J. Williams, D.V. West and R.J. Cava, “Tuning the charge density wave and superconductivity in Cu x TaS 2 ”, Phys. Rev. B 78, 104520 (2008).
3. T. Klimczuk, H.W. Zandbergen, Q. Huang, T.M. McQueen, F. Ronning, B. Kusz, J.D. Thompson, and R.J. Cava, “Cluster-glass behavior of a highly oxygen deficient perovskite, BaBi 0.28 Co 0.72 O 2.2 ”, J. Phys Condensed Matter 21, 105801 (2009).