Publications and book chapters resulting from research directly impacted by use of Shared Facilities supported by the MRSEC Award DMR 0819860 for the period 2008 thru 2013.
Shared Facilities: 2010
1. D. Cohen-Tanugi, A. Akey, and N. Yao, “Ultralow Superharmonic Resonance for Functional Nanowires,” Nano Letters, 10, 852-859 (2010).
2. J.N. Shan, W. Kong, R. Wei, N. Yao, and Y.G. Ju, “An Investigation of the Thermal Sensitivity and Stability of β-NaYF4: Yb,Er Upconversion Nanophosphors,” J. Appl. Phys., 107, 054901 (2010).
3. S.J. Budijono, J.N. Shan, N. Yao, Y. Miura, T. Hoye, R.H. Austin, Y.G. Ju, and R.K. Prud'homme, “Synthesis of Stable Block-Copolymer-Protected NaYF4:Yb3+, Er3+ Up-Converting Phosphor Nanoparticles,” Chem. of Mat., 22, 311-318 (2010).
4. J.N. Shan, M. Uddi, R. Wei, N. Yao, and Y.G. Ju, “The Hidden Effects of Particle Shape and Criteria for Evaluating the Upconversion Luminescence of the Lanthanides Doped Nanophosphors,” J. of Phys. Chem. C, 114, 2452-2461 (2010).
5. J.N. Shan, N. Yao and Y.G. Ju, “Phase Transition Induced Formation of Hollow Structures in Colloidal Lanthanide-doped NaYF4 Nanocrystals,” J. Nanoparticle Res., 12, 1429-1438 (2010).
Shared Facilities: 2011
1. S. Kostinski and N. Yao, “Rutherford Backscattering Oscillation in Scanning Helium-ion Microscopy,” J. of Appl. Phys., 109, 064311 (2011).
2. C. Wang, P.F. Murphy, N. Yao, and S.Y. Chou, “Growth of Straight Silicon Nanowires on Amorphous Substrates with Uniform Diameter, Length, Orientation, and Location Using Nanopatterned Host-Mediated Catalyst,” Nano Letters, 11, 5247-5251 (2011).
3. X. Chen, A. Li, N. Yao, and Y. Shi, “Adjustable stiffness of individual piezoelectric nanofibers by electron beam polarization,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 99, 193102 (2011).
4. L. Bindi, P.J. Steinhardt, N. Yao, and P.J. Lu, “Icosahedrite, Al63Cu24Fe13, the First Natural Quasicrystal,” American Mineralogist, 96, 928-931 (2011).
5. T.C. Zhang, D.L. Zhu, N. Yao, F. Qi, and C.K. Law, “A Wire Microcalorimetric Study of Catalytic Ignition of Methane-air Mixtures over Palladium Oxide,” Proc. of the Comb. Inst., 33, 1819-1825 (2011).
6. X. Chen, N. Yao, and Y. Shi, “Mechanical Energy Harvesting Based on PZT Nanofibers,” Energy Efficiency and Renewable energy through Nanotechnology, edited by L. Zhang Part 2, pp. 425-438 (Springer Series in Nanoscience and Technology, 2011).
7. J.N. Shan, N. Yao, and Y.G. Ju, “Ligand Effects and Synthesis of NaYF4 Based Up and Down conversion Colloidal Nanophosphors,” Fluorine-related Nanoscience with Energy Applications, edited by D. Nelson Chapter 5, pp 71-85 (ACS books, 2011).
Shared Facilities: 2012
1. L. Bindi, J.M. Eiler, Y. Guan, L. Hollister, G. MacPherson, P.J. Steinhardt, and N. Yao, “Evidence for the Extra-terrestrial Origin of a Natural Quasicrystal,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109, 1396-1401 (2012).
2. N.L. Aung, X. Huang, W.O. Charles, N. Yao, and C.F. Gmachl, “Effect of Surface Defects on InGaAs/InAlAs Quantum Cascade Mesa Current-voltage Characteristics,” J. of Crystal Growth, 353, 35-38 (2012).
3. S. Xu, G. Poirier, and N. Yao, “Fabrication and Piezoelectric Property of PMN-PT Nanofibers,” Nano Energy, 1, 602-607 (2012).
4. S. Xu, G. Poirier, and N. Yao, “PMN-PT Nanowires with very High Piezoelectric Constants,” Nano Letters, 12, 2238-2242 (2012).
5. N. Yao, “Fundamentals of the Focused Ion Beam System,” Handbook of Nanoscopy, edited by . G. Van Tendeloo, D. Van Dyck and S. J. Pennycook, pp. 645-671 (Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, 2012).
Shared Facilities: 2013
1. S. Xu, Y.W. Yeh, G. Poirier, M.C. McAlpine, R.A. Register, and N. Yao, “Flexible Piezoelectric PMN–PT Nanowire-Based Nanocomposite and Device,” Nano Letters, 13, 2393-2398 (2013).
2. K. Cung, B.J. Han, T.D. Nguyen, S. Mao, Y.W. Yeh, S.Y. Xu, R.R. Naik, G. Poirier, N. Yao, P.K. Purohit, and M.C. McAlpine, “Biotemplated Synthesis of PZT Nanowires,” Nano Letters, 13, 6197-6202 (2013).
3. K. Parratt and N. Yao, “Nanostructured Biomaterials and Their Applications,” Nanomaterials, 3, 242-271 (2013).