Below is a list of the core courses. They are divided in three groups, and students are required to take and pass (at least) one course in each group, within the first two years of study. Thus minimally, a student needs to pass three core courses. A passing grade is a B or higher: In other words, B, B+, A-, A, and A+ are the passing grades.
In planning keep in mind that, typically, odd numbered courses are taught in the fall semester, and even numbered courses are taught in the spring.
Quantum Mechanics/Quantum Field Theory
- PHY 506 Quantum Mechanics
- PHY 509 Relativistic Quantum Theory I
- PHY 510 Relativistic Quantum Theory II
Condensed Matter/Biophysics/Atomic Physics
- PHY 525 Introduction to Condensed Matter Physics I
- PHY 526 Introduction to Condensed Matter Physics II
- PHY 551 Atomic Physics
- PHY 562 Biophysics
General Relativity/High Energy Physics
- PHY 523 Introduction to General Relativity
- PHY 524 Advanced Topics in General Relativity
- PHY 529 Introduction to High Energy Physics