Research in my group focuses on quantum control of solid state systems. We use a variety of nanofabrication techniques to create isolated quantum systems with experimentally tunable Hamiltonians. These devices form elementary quantum bits with long coherence times. At the same time, these systems are sensitive probes of the environment and can be used to study the basic physics that leads to relaxation and dephasing of quantum states. Future work will focus on: spin based quantum computing, on-chip shuttling of quantum information, coupling solid-state to optical qubits, and entanglement measures of many-body spin states. I am also interested in studying problems at the intersection of condensed matter physics and quantum optics. Experiments in this area will focus on tailoring the solid-state environment to extend coherence times (cavity QED, Purcell effect).
Research Opportunities in the Petta Lab: Research opportunities exist for highly motivated graduate and undergraduate students. Experiments will be performed at Princeton in the B-level of Jadwin Hall. Sample fabrication will take place at the PRISM cleanroom facilities. Our group combines low temperature expertise with nanofabrication, microwave and optical techniques to explore problems at the forefront of experimental condensed matter physics. Interested students and postdoc candidates are encouraged to contact me.
Petta Group Homepage
- J. R. Petta, J. M. Taylor, A. C. Johnson, A. Yacoby, M. D. Lukin, C. M. Marcus, M. P. Hanson, A. C. Gossard, Dynamic nuclear polarization with single electron spins, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 067601 (2008)
- R. Hanson, L.P Kouwenhoven, J.R. Petta, S. Tarucha, and L.M.K. Vandersypen, Spins in few-electron quantum dots, Rev. Mod. Phys. 79, 1217 (2007)
- J. R. Petta, A. C. Johnson, J. M. Taylor, E. A. Laird, A. Yacoby, M. D. Lukin, C. M. Marcus, M. P. Hanson, and A. C. Gossard, Coherent manipulation of coupled electron spins in semiconductor quantum dots, Science 309, 2180 (2005)
- A. C. Johnson, J. R. Petta, J. M. Taylor, A. Yacoby, M. B. Lukin, C. M. Marcus, M. P. Hanson, and A. C. Gossard, Triplet-singlet spin relaxation via nuclei in a double quantum dot, Nature 435, 925 (2005)
- J. R. Petta, A. C. Johnson, C. M. Marcus, M. P. Hanson, and A. C. Gossard, Manipulation of a single charge in a double quantum dot, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 186802 (2004)
- J. R. Petta, S. K. Slater, and D. C. Ralph, Spin-dependent transport in molecular tunnel junctions , Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 136601 (2004)
- J. R. Petta, D. C. Ralph, Measurements of strongly anisotropic g factors for spins in single quantum states , Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 156802 (2002)
- J. R. Petta, D. C. Ralph, Studies of spin-orbit scattering in noble-metal nanoparticles using energy-level tunneling spectroscopy, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 266801 (2001)
- J. R. Petta, M. B. Weissman, K. P. O’Brien, Multiple magnetization paths in Barkhausen noise , Phys. Rev. E 54, R1029 (1996)