Summer Research Opportunities in Princeton
Summer research positions are arranged informally, with students approaching individual faculty members. In addition, students should register through this site to be eligible for summer positions. That is, apply to work with individual faculty members and then register, as opposed to apply, on this site. The fellowship recipients are selected by the Department Representative. Preference is given to the physics majors and prospective physics majors.
Trieman, Leach, and Joseph Henry Fellowships are given directly to the research groups, and are used to defray the cost of the student's summer salary. There is no hard deadline for these fellowships, but most summer jobs will be finalized by the end of March. Students are encouraged to register by March 1. Jobs usually start after graduation in June and last 8 weeks or longer.
After you have secured a position you should send an email to Department Representative specifying the group which hired you, your class year, and if a rising sophomore, which courses you plan to take in the fall.
The Treiman Fellowships for summer research were made possible through a generous donation to the department. Each year three Treiman Fellows are selected. The award may be used to work with any departmental faculty in any summer in which you are a student. The funds are transferred directly to the supervisor's account so that he or she may support you. Professor Treiman, a theoretical particle physicist, joined the Department in 1952 and was Chair from 1981-1987. He had a profound impact on our intellectual direction, on physics, and gave his wise counsel to both Princeton and the Nation. Recipients of Treiman Fellowships are listed here.
The Leach Summer Fellowship
This summer research opportunity is made possible through a generous donation by the Charles H.Leach II Foundation. The goal is to inspire future physics majors, especially women. Recipients of Leach Fellowships are listed here. As with other fellowships, funds are transferred directly to the supervisor's account.
These are made possible by the Physics Department in appreciation of the value of summer research opportunities. Recipients of the Joseph Summer Fellowships are listed here.
Princeton's International Internship Program (IIP)
These internships are for Princeton undergraduates who wish to undertake a summer internship abroad. The application process is more formal, longer and has stricter deadlines, please follow this link.
Summer opportunities elsewhere
Consider also research opportunities elsewhere -- many national laboratories and research institutions run summer internship programs. Some of their web sites are listed below. This is only a partial list - web surfing should reveal many more opportunities!
- The Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies PIIRS
- West Virginia University Center for Neuroscience (SURI)
- Princeton Plasma Physics Lab (PPPL) - National Undergraduate Fellowships Program (NUF)
- Princeton Internships in Civic Service (PICS)
- Princeton University- Keller Center in the School of Engineering
- Princeton Andlinger Center
- The Institute for NanoBioTechnology at Johns Hopkins University
- Princeton's International Internship Program (IIP)
- Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University
- College of William and Mary
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) internship program-Santa Fe Institute
- Maryland Engineering Research Internships Teams Program (MERIT)
- Johns Hopkins University's Center for Talented Youth is seeking candidates for instructor and teaching assistant positions for summer residential programs
- RISE: Research Internship in Science and Engineering
- APS/IBM Research Internship for Undergraduate Women
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at RPI
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at the University of Nebraska
- Princeton Environmental Institute (PEI)
- The Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science
- Caltech Summer Research Opportunities
- Summer Program for Undergraduate Research at UMass (SMaRT)
- University of Illinois at Chicago - Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program (REU)
- International Astronomical Youth Camp (IAYC)
- Penn State - Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
- U.S. Department of Energy (SULI)
- APS - Physics Research Experiences for Undergraduates (Physics REU)
- NIST SUMMER UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMS (SURF) – GAITHERSBURG, MARYLAND
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory-California Institute of Technology
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas-REU
- Rutgers University REU Program
- Columbia Business School
- The Leiden/ESA Astrophysics Program
- Dunlap Institute Summer School - University of Toronto
- The Colorado Center for Biorefining and Biofuels (C2B2) 2013 Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates Program (C2B2/NSF REU)!