Please note: The following is a reference based upon the previous year's application. Slight variations apply from year to year.
- Application Form. Please log-in to your PiB account on the PiB Application page and follow instructions to complete the online application form. An essay (in either Chinese or English) explaining your experience in learning Chinese will be required.
- Upload Audio Recording. In Mandarin Chinese, introduce yourself and discuss a topic of interest to you in mandarin. Please limit the recording to five minutes. Please format your audio file in mp3, wma, aiff, or wav. Please do not send cassette tapes.
- Transcript. Please upload your most recent transcript from the institution at which you are currently studying or from which you most recently graduated. Please upload official transcripts only. If you are waiting for grades to be available, please also attach an unofficial printout of your grades or a report card along with your most recent official transcript. Official transcripts are available only from your school's Office of the Registrar. Please do not have your Registrar send your transcript to us directly; have it sent to you, then include it with the rest of your application. (We receive many applications, and it is exceedingly difficult to keep track of things if the items are not sent in together.) Note: Princeton students, but only Princeton students, may substitute a print-out from the Princeton web. If you have not finished the fall semester at the time you apply, give us an unofficial record of your mid-term grades (such as a print-out from your own school's website). Once you finish the fall term, please e-mail or snail mail an updated, official transcript to the PiB office.
- Recommendation. You will be responsible for providing the name, title, and e-mail of a recommender to submit one letter of recommendation for you to PiB. Your recommendation should be from your most recent Chinese language teacher who can properly assess your current Chinese level. If you cannot obtain a recommendation from your Chinese language teacher, another teacher may write one for you. Your recommender will be sent an e-mail recommendation request as soon as you save your application for the first time, so please get your teacher's approval before you submit their information to us.
- Financial Aid Form. This form is embedded in your online application form and only required if you are applying for aid. Please include your most recent Federal Income Tax Return and your home-institution's financial aid award letter (if any) as attachments. If you are a Princeton freshman, sophomore, or junior currently on financial aid: You need only to submit your most recent Princeton University financial aid award letter.
- Non-refundable Application Fee of $60. Upon clicking "Submit Final Application" on your online application form, you will automatically be asked to submit an electronic (credit/debit card) payment, in US dollars. Your application will not be complete, and therefore will not be reviewed, until you have completed this final step of your application.
Once your application fee of $60 is submitted, you will be able to check your application status by logging into your PiB account. Until a decision is made and a PiB admissions letter is e-mailed to you (via your primary e-mail listed on your application), your status should not change. Once you receive your admissions results, you are responsible for logging into your account and checking your status to ensure all follow-up procedures are completed and that your status is correct.
Though admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, most applicants will be notified of decisions in late February or early March. For waitlisted applicants, it is possible that a decision may not come till April. If you are accepted into the program, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable deposit of $500 in order to hold a place; this deposit will be applied towards your tuition.
Should you be admitted to PiB, you may also choose to drop off forms and payments to the Princeton in Beijing Office in Frist Campus Center, Room 241, during its hours of operation: Mondays-Fridays, 9am-5pm. Otherwise, please mail follow-up documents to:
Princeton in Beijing
211 Jones Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544-1008
If you have any questions regarding the application or the program, feel free to contact the Princeton in Beijing office.