Please note: The following is a reference based upon the previous year's application. Slight variations apply from year to year.
- Non-refundable Application Fee of $50. Please pay by check or money order payable to Princeton in Beijing; all payments should be made in US dollars. Please do not forget to sign the check and do not send cash.
- Application Form. Please follow instructions to complete the online application form. An essay (in either Chinese or English) explaining your experience in learning Chinese will be required.
- Upload Audio Recording. In Mandarin Chinese, introduce yourself and discuss a topic of interest to you in mandarin. Please limit the recording to five minutes. Please format your audio file in mp3, wma, aiff, or wav. Please do not send cassette tapes.
- Transcript. Please upload your most recent transcript from the institution at which you are currently studying or from which you most recently graduated. Please upload official transcripts only. If you are waiting for grades to be available, please also attach an unofficial printout of your grades or a report card along with your most recent official transcript. Official transcripts are available only from your school's Office of the Registrar. Please do not have your Registrar send your transcript to us directly; have it sent to you, then include it with the rest of your application. (We receive many applications, and it is exceedingly difficult to keep track of things if the items are not sent in together.) Note: Princeton students, but only Princeton students, may substitute a print-out from the Princeton web. If you have not finished the fall semester at the time you apply, give us an unofficial record of your mid-term grades (such as a print-out from your own school's website). Once you finish the fall term, please have an updated, official transcript sent to the PiB office.
- Recommendation. You will be responsible for providing the name, title, and e-mail of a recommender to submit one letter of recommendation for you to PiB. Your recommendation should be from a Chinese language teacher. Otherwise, ask any recent Chinese language teacher to write it. If you cannot obtain a recommendation from your Chinese language teacher, another teacher may write one for you. Your recommender will be sent an e-mail recommendation request as soon as you save your application for the first time.
- Financial Aid Form. Required only if you are applying for aid. Please include the most recent Federal Income Tax Return and a home-institution needs analysis (if any) as attachments. If you are a Princeton freshman, sophomore, or junior currently on financial aid: You need only to complete the financial aid portion on your online application form.
Please send your application fee of $50 along with the print-out of your application summary (available as soon as you click "Submit Final Application" on your online form) to Princeton in Beijing at:
Princeton in Beijing
211 Jones Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544-1008
If it is more convenient for you, you may also choose to drop off both items to the Princeton in Beijing Office in Frist Campus Center, Room 218, during its hours of operation: Mondays-Fridays, 9am-5pm.
Most applicants will be notified of decisions in late February or early March. For waitlisted applicants, it is possible that a decision may not come till April. If you are accepted into the program, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable deposit of $500 in order to hold a place; this deposit will be applied towards your tuition.
If you have any questions regarding the application or the program, feel free to contact the Princeton in Beijing office.