- B.S., Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1976
- M.S., Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1977
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1982
- Electromagnetic wave-plasma interactions in inhomogeneous plasmas, including effects of wave heating, mode conversion and current drive on plasma stability and transport
- Comparisons of experimentally observed wave-plasma heating characteristics and model predictions
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2005
- APS-DPP Distinguished Lecturer, 2001-2002
- Sigma Xi
- Phillips, C. K. et al . Spectral effects on fast wave core heating and current drive. Nucl Fusion 49 , 075015 (2009).
- Wright, J. C., Valeo, E. J., Phillips, C. K., Bonoli, P. T. & Brambilla, M. Full wave simulations of lower hybrid waves in toroidal geometry with non-Maxwellian electrons. Communications in Computational Physics 4, 545-555 (2008).