Professor of Astrophysical Sciences
- B.S., Physics, Ehime University, 1985
- M.S., Physics, University of Tokyo, 1987
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Tokyo, 1990
- Magnetic reconnection
- Magnetorotational instability
- Magnetohydrodynamic surface waves and free-surface MHD flow in liquid metals
- Dynamo effects in laboratory plasmas
- Electrostatic and electromagnetic turbulence at the edge of fusion plasmas and their associated particle and heat flux
- Beam-plasma discharges
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Department of Energy, 2010
- Distinguished Research Fellow, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, 2009
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2004
- Kaul Prize for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research and Technology Development, Princeton University, 2003
- Award for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research, American Physical Society, 2002
- Outstanding Mentor Award, Department of Energy, 2002
- Ji, H. et al . New insights into dissipation in the electron layer during magnetic reconnection. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35 , 13106 (2008).
- Ji, H., Burin, M., Schartman, E. & Goodman, J. Hydrodynamic turbulence cannot transport angular momentum effectively in astrophysical disks. Nature 444, 343-346 (2006).
- Ji, H. & Daughton, W. Phase diagram for magnetic reconnection in heliophysical, astrophysical, and laboratory plasmas. Phys Plasmas 18, 111207 (2011).
- Roach, A. H. et al. Observation of a Free-Shercliff-Layer Instability in Cylindrical Geometry. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 154502 (2012).
- Yamada, M., Kulsrud, R. & Ji, H. Magnetic reconnection. Rev.Mod.Phys. 82, 603-664 (2010).