from PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
Editors: Photos are available at: http://www.princeton.edu/pr/pictures/g-k/jandl,henry
Emeritus Professor of Architecture Henry Jandl Dies
PRINCETON, N.J. -- Henry Jandl, an emeritus professor of architecture who served on the Princeton faculty for 35 years, died Jan. 3 in Richmond, Va. He was 93.
Jandl, a graduate alumnus of Princeton and a faculty member in the School of Architecture from 1940 to 1975, was a renowned architect who designed numerous private homes and civic buildings, including the borough halls in Princeton and Hightstown. He also designed additions to the Westminster Choir College and Princeton Country Day School.
Jandl was a committed and influential teacher who offered courses in construction and design and architectural materials. A proponent of contemporary design, his work stood out amidst the more conservative architecture in the Princeton area.
He was a key figure in the growth of the School of Architecture, aiding its emergence as a major center for the exchange of architectural ideas. Jandl was appointed in 1969 as executive officer in charge of departmental administration under Robert Geddes, the school's first dean.
As the architecture school entered the urban planning field in the 1940s, Jandl co-directed a 1946 conference on planning that attracted leading architects from around the world, including Robert Moses, Frank Lloyd Wright, Walter Gropius and Mies van der Rohe.
A native of Spokane, Wash., Jandl graduated from Carnegie Mellon University and won a nationwide competition for graduate study at Princeton, from which he earned an M.F.A. in 1937. That same year he was awarded the Paris Prize, one of the highest student honors in academic architecture, to study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He also studied at the School of Fine Arts at Fontainebleau, France.
Jandl served on the University's advisory board on design and was secretary-treasurer of the Association of Princeton Graduate Alumni. He also was an officer or member of several professional associations, including the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, the American Institute of Architects and the National Institute of Architectural Education.
After his retirement from Princeton, Jandl moved to Richmond, where he served as a volunteer at hospitals, schools and churches. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Crater Jandl; his daughter, Margaret Jandl; his brother, Rudolph; seven stepchildren; 14 stepgrandchildren and three step-great-grandchildren. His first wife, Gertrude Ward Jandl, and his son, H. Ward Jandl, preceded him in death.