B Y T H E N U M B E R S
Nobel Prize winners
Nine members of the current Princeton faculty and research staff are recipients of the Nobel Prize, which is awarded for the most significant achievements around the world in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, economics, literature and peace.
· Daniel Kahneman, the Eugene Higgins Professor of Psychology and professor of public affairs in the Woodrow Wilson School, won the 2002 Nobel Prize in economic sciences (see story on page 1).
· Daniel Tsui, the Arthur Legrand Doty Professor of Electrical Engineering, won the 1998 Nobel Prize in physics.
· Eric Wieschaus, the Squibb Professor of Molecular Biology, won the 1995 Nobel Prize in medicine.
· John Nash, senior research mathematician, won the 1994 Nobel Prize in economic sciences.
· Chloe Anthony Morrison, the Robert Goheen Professor in the Humanities, won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1993.
· Dean of the Faculty Joseph Taylor, the James McDonnell Distinguished University Professor of Physics, shared the Nobel Prize in physics in 1993 with Russell Hulse, principal research physicist at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory.
· Val Fitch, the James McDonnell Distinguished University Professor of Physics Emeritus, won the Nobel Prize in physics in 1980.
· Philip Anderson, the Joseph Henry Professor of Physics Emeritus, won the Nobel Prize in physics in 1977.
The Bulletin is published weekly during the academic year, except during University breaks and exam weeks, by the Office of Communications. Second class postage paid at Princeton. Postmaster: Send address changes to Princeton Weekly Bulletin, Office of Communications, Princeton University, 22 Chambers St., Suite 201, Princeton, NJ 08542. Permission is given to adapt, reprint or excerpt material from the Bulletin for use in other media.
Subscriptions. The Bulletin is distributed free to faculty, staff and students. Others may subscribe to the Bulletin for $28 for the academic year (half price for current Princeton parents and people over 65). Send a check to Office of Communications, Princeton University, 22 Chambers St., Suite 201, Princeton, NJ 08542.
Deadline. In general, the copy deadline for each issue is the Friday 10 days in advance of the Monday cover date. The deadline for the Bulletin that covers Nov. 4-10 is Friday, Oct. 25. A complete publication schedule is available at deadlines or by calling (609) 258-3601.
Editor: Ruth Stevens