PU shield
PWB logo



New library named for Peter B. Lewis



A recent model of the library


Princeton NJ -- At its meeting on May 31, the Board of Trustees approved the naming of the new library on the corner of Washington Road and Ivy Lane as the Peter B. Lewis Library. Lewis, a member of the Princeton class of 1955 and a trustee of the University, is chairman of the board of the Progressive Corp., one of the nation's largest auto insurers. He has made a gift of $60 million to support the construction and the programs of the library, which has been designed by the internationally acclaimed architect Frank Gehry.

Construction of the 87,000-square-foot facility is expected to begin this fall and to be completed in two years. The library will serve researchers working on projects that cross scientific fields, provide services and facilities that take into account the revolutionary changes in scholarly publishing over recent years, and meet the needs of students better than the current patchwork of small, discipline-specific science libraries.