Princeton Weekly Bulletin   April 24, 2006, Vol. 95, No. 24   search   prev   next

PWB logo


Page One
The senior thesis
Chyba weighs in on topics ranging from planetary life to nuclear proliferation

The senior thesis
Searching for life elsewhere in the solar system — from campus
Tracing jazz’s evolution from the club to the classroom

Clinton named Class Day speaker
Fieldstone, limestone and slate: Work progresses on Whitman
Students, faculty, staff enjoy first ‘Pub Night’ at Chancellor Green
Communiversity set for April 29

Spotlight, promotion

Nassau notes
Calendar of events
By the numbers



PU shield

By the numbers

East Asian Library

Princeton NJ — The University’s East Asian Library, located in the Frist Campus Center and Jones Hall, has been built around the original Gest Oriental Library Collection.

Photo of: East Asian Library

The Gest Collection is part of the East Asian Library in the Frist Campus Center and Jones Hall. (photo by Denise Applewhite)


• The collection was founded by Guion Gest (1864-1948) and I.V. Gillis (1875-1948). Gest was head of the Gest Engineering Co., which did business in Asia during the early 1900s. On one trip to China, he met Gillis, who was a naval attaché at the American embassy in Peking. Gest suffered from glaucoma, and Gillis persuaded him to try an old Chinese eye remedy. Although this medicine did not cure the glaucoma, it gave Gest some temporary relief and led him to commission Gillis to buy Chinese books on medicine for him.

• Gest later extended his interest to other fields and for 30 years impoverished himself to provide Gillis with the funds required to indulge his love of books. Gillis, who was married to a Manchu princess, had access to upper class Chinese families in the 1920s and was well positioned to collect many works from them. In the end, Gest’s library numbered some 100,000 volumes.

• With Gest’s funds dwindling and no place to store the volumes, it was arranged for the collection to become an official library in 1926 as part of McGill University in Montreal.

• In 1937, the Institute for Advanced Study, with help from the Rockefeller Foundation, acquired the Gest Library and housed it in a University-owned building at 20 Nassau St. In 1948 the institute transferred custodianship to the University, and the collection was moved to Firestone Library.

• In 1972 the collection was moved again to Palmer (now Frist) and Jones halls, the home of the Department of East Asian Studies. It is considered one of the Western world’s greatest Chinese collections and includes, among other treasures, several thousand fine and rare editions that were printed before the Gutenberg Bible, as well as one of the world’s three complete sets of the original 1728 edition of a famous 5,000-volume Chinese encyclopedia. The collection’s 2,000 volumes on medicine constitute the largest collection of traditional Chinese medical books outside China and Japan. As part of the East Asian Library, the collection is complemented by significant holdings of Japanese and Korean materials.

Sources: “A Princeton Companion” by Alexander Leitch and the East Asian Studies Library Web site