- Page One
- • Architecture students helping bring classic Russian play to life
- • Fagles, Lewis awarded National Humanities Medal
- Freshman Seminars
- • Cultivating a critical eye through art and science
- • Seeing culture through technology and technology through culture
- The Bulletin is published weekly during the academic year, except during University breaks and exam weeks, by the Office of Communications. Second class postage paid at Princeton. Postmaster: Send address changes to Princeton Weekly Bulletin, Office of Communications, Princeton University, 22 Chambers St., Suite 201, Princeton, NJ 08542. Permission is given to adapt, reprint or excerpt material from the Bulletin for use in other media.
- Subscriptions. The Bulletin is distributed free to faculty, staff and students. Others may subscribe to the Bulletin for $30 for the 2006-07 academic year (half price for current Princeton parents and people over 65). Send a check to Office of Communications, Princeton University, 22 Chambers St., Suite 201, Princeton, NJ 08542.
- Deadlines. In general, the copy deadline for each issue is the Friday 10 days in advance of the Monday cover date. The deadline for the Bulletin that covers Dec. 4-10 is Wednesday, Nov. 22. A complete publication schedule is available at www.princeton.edu/ pr/ pwb/ deadlines.html; or by calling (609) 258-3601.
- Editor: Ruth Stevens Calendar editor: Carolyn Geller Staff writers: Jennifer Greenstein Altmann, Eric Quiñones Contributing writers: Cass Cliatt, Karin Dienst, Teresa Riordan Photographers: Denise Applewhite, John Jameson Design: Maggie Westergaard Web edition: Mahlon Lovett
By the numbers
Comprehensive campus plan
About 875 people attended “Plans in Progress” on Nov. 8. The four-hour open forum featured dozens of visual displays set up around both floors of the Chancellor Green Rotunda on all aspects of the campus plan. A major attraction was a large model of the campus located in the center of the rotunda. (photo: John Jameson)
Princeton NJ — The University is midway through a two-year effort to create a comprehensive plan for the campus that will guide development over the next 10 years and beyond.
On Nov. 8, the campus planning team hosted “Plans in Progress,” an open forum intended to provide members of the University and local communities with an opportunity to learn more about the new campus plan and to offer feedback on the effort. In addition, the team has launched a website (www.campusplan.princeton.edu) that is in the process of incorporating and expanding on many of the materials presented at the open forum.
According to the site’s section on open space:
• The contiguous main campus encompasses approximately 380 acres; 65 percent consists of landscaped and natural areas, while the other 35 percent consists of buildings, paved areas and parking lots.
• The main campus includes more than 50 acres of tended green space, 26 acres of athletic fields, and almost 70 acres of wooded and tree-covered areas.
• The campus provides landscaped open spaces and views of greenery that are open to the public for enjoyment and recreation, especially in its historic core. Visitors also enjoy Lake Carnegie for recreation and sporting events.
• The campus has almost 350 varieties of tree species. The first trees planted on the campus in 1766 were called Stamp Act Sycamores, commemorating the repealing of the Stamp Act by the British.
• The landscapes of the campus were largely defined by the vision of Beatrix Farrand, the only woman among the founders of the American Society of Landscape Architects and one of the most important American campus landscape architects of the 20th century.
• In addition to the contiguous main campus, the University owns an additional 410 acres in Princeton Township and Princeton Borough (including the Springdale Golf Course and other areas).
• The University owns approximately 475 acres, consisting mainly of farmland, wooded areas and athletic fields, south of Lake Carnegie in the township of West Windsor.
As work progresses during the year, additional information will be posted on the website. Members of the campus and local communities are invited to provide feedback on the plan by clicking on the “continuing dialogue” page or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.