'The Orange and Black'
The first recorded use of Princeton's colors occurred in 1867, when the Class of 1869 Base Ball Club wore badges of orange ribbon with black printing provided by George Ward, Class of 1869. In 1874 the colors were worn during an intercollegiate rowing regatta in Saratoga and thereafter also by athletic teams. In 1888 the song "The Orange and the Black" followed, written by Clarence Mitchell, Class of 1889, to a tune arranged by Ernest Carter, Class of 1888. It soon won a place in Princeton lore.