System Selection Process
(Endorsed by ESPG on 11/19/2004; Updated 3/07/2011)
- Functional office identifies need for a new system and sponsors the system selection process effort.
- Functional office meets with appropriate OIT director or manager to discuss functional requirements. A selection team is created.
- Working together, the functional/technical selection team identifies potential solutions.
If custom development is chosen, jump to step #10 and skip #12.
- The team produces a Request for Information (RFI). In this document, the functional office asks potential vendors how they can address required functionality, and OIT asks questions about the application’s basic technical characteristics. This RFI is distributed to the potential vendors.
- Vendor responses are reviewed and assessed by the team. In the case of open source, OIT or the originator of the software will provide the response.
- The team prepares scoring sheets for the on-site presentations.
- Those vendors that make the initial cut are invited to present their products to the team on-site at Princeton. The University Information Technology Security Officer and at least one member of the Architectural Review Board should be in attendance.
- The functional office identifies their preferred choice and indicates their desire to pursue the purchase and implementation of the product.
- In-depth investigation of the vendor:
- The Architectural Review Board does an assessment to gain an in-depth understanding of the technical characteristics of the product to ensure its security and fit within our environment.
- Selection team contacts current users of the system to verify vendor claims related to system functionality and expected implementation effort.
- Functional office performs due-diligence on the vendor to verify their viability as a business. Details of the Statement of Work are negotiated.
- Team presents their recommendation to PMT and ESPG, including ownership and maintainability of the recommended solution.
- When necessary, team presents their capital funding plan to SAGIT.
- Contract negotiated and signed.