AP Credit Overview | AP Credit Reference Table
Reference Table for AP Credit Accepted at Princeton
Academic Year 2016-17 Provisional for Class of 2020
|Subject area||Minimum score ||Units of AP||Princeton course(s) replaced||May not take and
use AP credit 
Foreign Languages 
|French||AP 5 / FR SAT ST 760||2||French 101, 102, 107||Any 100-level French course||200-level French course|
|German||AP 5 / GM SAT ST 760||2||German 101, 102, 105, 107||Any 100-level German course||200-level German course|
|Hebrew||MH SAT ST 760||2||Hebrew 101, 102, 105, 107||Any 100-level Hebrew course||300-level Hebrew course|
|Italian||AP 5/ IT SAT ST 760||2||Italian 101, 102, 107||Any 100-level Italian course||200-level Italian course|
|Latin||AP 5 / LT SAT ST 760||2||Latin 101, 102, 105, 108||Any 100-level Latin course||200-level Latin course|
|Spanish||AP 5/ SP SAT ST 760||2||Spanish 101, 102, 107||Any 100-level Spanish course||200-level Spanish course|
Historical Analysis 
|History, European||AP 4||1||no equivalent course||not applicable||Departmental permission needed to enroll in courses closed to freshmen|
|History, U.S.||AP 4||1||no equivalent course||not applicable|
|History, World||AP 4||1||no equivalent course||not applicable|
Literature and the Arts
|Art History||AP 5||1||no equivalent course||not applicable||Any 200- or 300-level art course open to freshmen|
|English ||AP 5/EN or ES SAT ST 800||1||no equivalent course||not applicable||English 205,206,207,208,209 (recommended)|
|Mathematics (Calculus)||AP 5 on AB exam||1||Math 103||Math 103||Math 104/Math175*|
|AP 4 on BC exam||1||Math 103||Math 103||Math 104/Math 175*|
|AP 5 on BC exam||2||Math-103-104||Math 103-104||Math 201|
|AP 5 on BC exam and MSAT 750||2||Math 103-104||Math 103-104||Math 203/Math 201*|
|AP 5 on BC exam and MSAT 750 and potential Math major||2||Math 103-104||Math 103-104||Math 215/Math 214*|
Science and Technology
(EEB or MOL)
|AP 5||2||MOL 101 and
EEB/MOL 211 for non-EEB majors only
|Any 100- or 200-level EEB or MOL course (except EEB 255) ISC 231-232||MOL/EEB 214/215 for MOL majors (forfeit one unit of AP); MOL/EEB 211 and 214/215 for EEB majors (forfeit two units of AP)|
|Chemistry||AP 4||1||Chemistry 201/207||Chemistry 201/207, ISC 231-232||Chemistry 202|
|AP 5||2||Chemistry 201/207-202||Any 100- or 200-level chemistry course, ISC 231-234||Chemistry 303|
|Physics||AP 5 on Parts I and II of Physics C||2||Physics 103-104||Any 100-level physics course, ISC 231-234; EGR/MAT/PHY 191-192||Physics 105 (PHY 103 C03/C04); consult AP officer (forfeit two units of AP)|
|(For AB students only) AP 4 on Parts I and II of Physics C or AP 5 on Physics B or AP 5 on Physics 1 and 2||2||Physics 101-102||Any 100-level physics course, ISC 231-234; EGR/MAT/PHY 191-192||Physics 103 or consult AP officer|
|Economics||AP 5 in Macroeconomics||1||Economics 101||Economics 101||Economics 100|
|AP 5 in Microeconomics||1||Economics 100||Economics 100||Economics 101|
|AP 5 in Macro and Micro||2||Economics 100 and 101||Economics 100 and 101||See placement officer|
|AP 5 in Statistics||0||Economics 202||not applicable||—|
1. Also, a score 7 on the IB (higher level) or a grade of A on the completed British A-level is considered the equivalent of a score of 5 on the AP test in most subjects; a score of 6 on the IB (higher level) or a grade of B on the completed British A-level is considered the equivalent of a score of 4 on the AP test.
2. Students will forfeit the use of one or two units of AP credit, depending on whether they take one or two courses for which they were granted AP credit. In foreign languages, students who enroll in a 100-level course forfeit the use of both units of AP.
3. Only two units of AP in each foreign language will be granted, regardless of how many Princeton courses the AP replaces.
4. A maximum of two units of AP in history will be granted: i.e., students attaining a score of 4 on all three exams will be awarded two units of AP.
5. AP credit is not awarded for the International English Language AP exam.
*See department recommendation at www.math.princeton.edu/undergraduate and/or consult placement officer; Math 175 not permitted for B.S.E. students.