Welcome to the Program of Freshman Seminars in the Residential Colleges
During your four years at Princeton you will discover new ideas, new fields of knowledge and the adventure of learning. There is perhaps no better way to begin this journey than by taking a freshman seminar. Open only to members of the freshman class, the program is designed to provide first-year students with an early opportunity to experience the excitement of working closely with a professor and a small group of fellow students on a topic of special interest. As you will see in our roster of seminar offerings, the variety of topics and faculty members to be found in this program is truly extraordinary. Indeed, many of our students feel that their freshman seminar was one of their most enjoyable and meaningful academic experiences at Princeton — one that enabled them to discover new intellectual passions and form enduring relationships with faculty members and fellow students.
Online application — The online application for spring term Freshman Seminars is closed as of November 11, 2013. Freshmen will be notified of their placements in early December.
- Freshman Seminars, though extremely popular and much in demand, are not mandatory.
- Freshman Seminars applications are not processed on a first-come first-served basis. All applications will be processed after the deadline on November 11, 2013 – 10 AM (EDT).
- You can access your application as many times as needed until the deadline, in order to edit your application essay and/or change your seminar preferences. When you are ready to complete your application, proceed to the “Finish Up” tab and mark the checkbox “I have read all information provided above.” Click the button “I Accept and Confirm My Application is Complete.” Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Your essay should discuss your interest only in your top seminar choice.
- You may later drop out of the Freshman Seminar to which you have been assigned should a schedule conflict arise or if you wish to switch seminars. However, we strongly encourage you to apply only for those seminar(s) that you truly hope to take if given the opportunity.
- You may take only one seminar per term, but taking a seminar in the fall term does not disqualify you from taking one in the spring.