The Princeton Area
Student-led tours of the campus, offered by the Orange Key Tour Guide Service, are available throughout the year. For more information, please visit the website or call 609-258-3060.
Local Points of Interest
Prior to the arrival of European colonists in the mid-17th century, central New Jersey was inhabited by Native Americans who called themselves the Lenape. Settled by English and Dutch farmers, the vicinity of the University was named Princeton in 1724, probably to honor William III, Prince of Orange (of the House of Nassau). This small market town was forever changed in 1756 when the College of New Jersey moved into Nassau Hall.
Points of interest around town remind visitors of Princeton’s place in history. Princeton Battlefield State Park, just a short drive down Mercer Street (Princeton Pike), memorializes soldiers who were killed during the Battle of Princeton, Jan. 3, 1777. The Historical Society of Princeton is located at Bainbridge House, 158 Nassau St. Hours are noon-4 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday. Admission is free. Call 609-921-6748 for information.
Morven, former home of New Jersey’s governors, is a short way down Stockton Street, the west end of Nassau Street. Further down Stockton Street is Drumthwacket, the current official residence of the governor. Grover Cleveland lived at 15 Hodge Road; Woodrow Wilson lived at 72 and 82 Library Place, and finally at 25 Cleveland Lane.
Albert Einstein lived at 112 Mercer St. and was a life member of the Institute for Advanced Study, located on Olden Lane. The institute’s woods offer tranquility for contemplative strolls. Located between the institute’s woods and the towpath of the Delaware and Raritan Canal is the Princeton Wildlife Refuge, a peaceful setting ideal for bird watching.
If you would like to know more about the greater Princeton area, visit the Princeton Regional Convention and Visitors Bureau website. The visitors bureau also offers printed copies of the Official Princeton Region Visitors Guide and local area maps at no charge; requests may be made in person during business hours at 182 Nassau St., Suite 301, Princeton, NJ 08542, or via telephone at 609-924-1776.